carbon tax thread

I live in a 'green' electorate. Plenty of people around me do much of this:

- never fly in planes again
- downsize their dwellings.
- get rid of their cars and do public transport and cycling.
- become vegetarian and eat a large % of raw food.
- get rid of all ornamental landscaping and replace it with permaculture.
- get rid of their electric and/or gas oven and use a microwave only.
- have showers limited to 3 minutes and 30C water temp.
- get rid of their electric HWS and get on demand gas hot water like Rinnai.

Many of them live in modest houses that they have made as energy efficient as possible. They would shop often so they don't waste food. And they would walk to the shops. Most are single car families and make use of public transport, bicycles, and car share schemes like Go Get. Gardens tend to be productive, or planted with natives. All are gainfully employed. Labelling people like this as extremists is lame.

They probably have to do all this just to make ends meet.:)

Many of them live in modest houses that they have made as energy efficient as possible. They would shop often so they don't waste food. And they would walk to the shops. Most are single car families and make use of public transport, bicycles, and car share schemes like Go Get. Gardens tend to be productive, or planted with natives. All are gainfully employed. Labelling people like this as extremists is lame.

Who's labeling that lifestyle extremist?
I just want to see Green voters walk the walk. Most Green voters I know think having a recycle bin compensate the bi-annual OS hols and the 10+ minute showers.

And I don't believe "most" of your electorate lives like this.
How many of them own vs rent?
How many are employed in the private sector?
How many of them actually employ anyone?
Care to name your electorate?

Most Green voters I know think having a recycle bin compensate the bi-annual OS hols and the 10+ minute showers.

Most green voters I know don't do this. So we're at an impasse.

It is an accurate portrait of the people in the electorate who would identify themselves as green voters.

They tend to own their houses.

A mixture I would say. Maybe 50/50.

A few. Some are self employed - even a couple of tradies in the mix.

Grayndler.

I'll be at trvia night for the local primary school tomorrow night. Let me know what else you'd like to know. I'll 'poll' the table for you.

More Labor Government lies trying to scare people into believing their Carbon Tax is about the environment & not just about revenue raising.

more here

Ill-informed Tanya Plibersek scaremongering

more here

After scratching my head all morning and early afternoon trying to figure out how the Ill-informed Tanya Plibersek could be so wrong, I have decided to give her the benefit of the doubt & come up with this scenario.

She has arrived to the Central Coast at low tide, yet arrived to the meeting at High tide, so clearly she could have quite easily mistaken this rise in the sea level as the result of climate change. Sorry Tanya my apologies for doubting you.

After scratching my head all morning and early afternoon trying to figure out how the Ill-informed Tanya Plibersek could be so wrong, I have decided to give her the benefit of the doubt & come up with this scenario.

She has arrived to the Central Coast at low tide, yet arrived to the meeting at High tide, so clearly she could have quite easily mistaken this rise in the sea level as the result of climate change. Sorry Tanya my apologies for doubting you.

Good job she didn't arrive on the Central Coast at high tide and get to the meeting at low tide. That would have shattered her faith!

I said 'most' of the families who would identify themselves as green are single car families.

I do know a plumber, though, who does his local quoting on a bike - finds it easier to get around and park.

Scott and myself share the same electorate and he is correct.

There are many green initiatives in this electorate, from the organic markets with free mulch and plant pickup, push bike riders everywhere, big use of public transport, even my kids school has organic vege gardens and chooks, old style corner shops everywhere to walk to, small blocks with little grass to water every weekend, .....there's plenty more.

I think its the outer suburb, aspirational classes, Lib voting areas that have multiple large cars, (which are washed every Saturday), McMansions, lack of public transport, lack of facilities, large grass areas etc.....out there you need to get in the car to buy a litre of milk.

And whats this about green voters having 10 minute showers? Are you guys serious?

Who's labeling that lifestyle extremist?
I just want to see Green voters walk the walk. Most Green voters I know think having a recycle bin compensate the bi-annual OS hols and the 10+ minute showers.

Grayndler.

I'll be at trivia night for the local primary school tomorrow night. Let me know what else you'd like to know. I'll 'poll' the table for you.

If you think Grayndler Green, then you must dodge the Labor voters who put in Albanese, so your poll wouldn't be representative.

The Green vote decreased in 2007, which gives an indication of the depth and length of Green support.

It's one thing to do a lot of quaint local eco stuff at the LGA level, which my Right wing mates are just as much into, but it is another to have Federal representation with the underlying Marxist ideals of the Greens.

There was another election after the 07 one, Stefan. You might want to check the stats for that one.
While you're there, check on the results of the recent state election.
And you might as well do some homework on the local council while you're at it.

How the “Science” Got Settled

Attachments

• How True.jpg
    How True.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 64
There was another election after the 07 one, Stefan. You might want to check the stats for that one.

Very safe Labor seat. Federal Govt's don't put the Leader of the Govt in the House of Reps in some dodgy marginal seat.

Second smallest electorate in the country at 32 km2. Yep, I can see why cars aren't necessary.

Mr Albanese had a big 9.4% swing against him, bringing his primary vote down from a super comfy 55.5% down to a comfy 46.1%.

Greens fielded a very strong candidate who was in the local council for 9 years and attained the position of Mayor of Marrickville - the first to do so in any Sydney Council. High profile. Greens were hoping Grayndler was going to be their first seat attained. The high profile ex-Mayor improved the primary vote up from 18.7% up to 25.9%, a rise of 7.2%, stealing most of the left leaning Labor leakage.

Liberals look like they didn't even bother, the seat is a hopeless cause. They propped up some pimply 19 yo student who garnered only 24.2%, an increase nonetheless of 3.3% over the 2007 result.

http://www.abc.net.au/elections/federal/2010/guide/gray.htm

On a state level ;

Greens nearly ripped the seat of Marrickville out of the Labor deputy Premier's hands. Once again, the Greens fielded a mayoral candidate, but it wasn't enough to overcome the Labor candidate, who was returned to power.

Labor had a 8.5% swing against them. Liberals had a 6.5% swing to them, and the Greens picked up a further 3.3%.

Primary votes : Labor 38.1%, Greens 35.9% and the Libs 19.1%

Greens getting close.

http://www.abc.net.au/elections/nsw/2011/guide/marr.htm

Yes, I read about the 2010 result. The point I was making is Greens support went backwards in 2007, before it garnered some of the protest vote in 2010 (what was that protest vote all about again???).

Which says a lot about the depth and history of how Green committed Grayndler is. Not very. It must be all the gentrification going on heh? All those eco aware well paid tertiary educated Gen XY and Boomer public servants moving into the burb, pricing out the older poorer first gen migrants who traditionally vote Labor. Can't be too many in the electorate who pay their mortgages with export income from agriculture, manufacturing, or mining hey? Nope, that's work for bush bogans.

And the NSW State election? well, the whole nation knows the recent ugly history of NSW State Labor....lost the plot a long time ago...last to wake up to that were Sydney Labor voters. And now Lefties think the Greens will run things better. My goodness. Listen, I am all for planting more trees, but unlike dogmatic Greens supporters, not because I think enough money grows on them to fund all the Greens promises.

Well on a positive note, it was quite amusing to see the semi private sector (not sure what you call this sector), get on the carbon tax bandwagon.

Here in Victoria, Deakon University is upping its car parking rates, quite dramatically.
And the beautiful logic, Deakon University said it will help to reduce carbon emmissions by encouraging the use of public transport by students and staff.

Apparently neither the staff nor the students are too happy about it.

Thats my boy, this is how the private sector has to start doing things.

Just bop up prices and say one is doing their bit to encourage reduction in carbon emmissions.

Its really fantastic, its wonderful how capatilism can adjust and still make a quid, pitty about the poor sucker at the receiving end.

Still can't believe that bumbling fool Wayne Swan is our treasurer. He should be sacked and replaced by someone more competent.

I don't understand how the likes of him and for that matter Abbot (I like at least appearing bipartisan) could float to the top in our political system?

I am still dirty everytime I think about utegate and the devastating effect it had on turnbull when it was found that Swan was not criminally dodgy just dodgy enough to get the sack from a private sector job so Australians all thought Turnbull was too hard on him because the police did not arrest him when turnbull was prosecuting against what would appear to any person with integrity an important ethical principle.

I think in those weeks when Turnull continued to flog that horse and his popularity plummeted, he learnt one important thing about being an Australian politician; collectively Australians are stupid and if the police do not arrest someone than this is enough for us to say they must have been above board. I would prefer to think of public servants and politicians as above even the private sector in ethical dealings but it appears that in this country it is quite the opposite and people here just do not care.

I would expect if an employee used his position for personal gain (OK not for a carton of beer...) but for the gift of a utility I would sack them and if I could not prove exactly what it was he gave up in return for it I would keep a bloody close eye on them nonetheless and if then I found favourable treatment (in that case shoring up credit facilities) even if it came from those around him and not directly from the recipient of the utility it is not hard to put two and two together.

It is not even that it necessarily costs the company anything, it is more a question of equity and fairness IMO.

Anyone else get the feeling we are slowing heading more and more toward communism under Labor and the Greens.

So now these authorities will have search warrant powers.
The Soviets and Chinese probably started as well with a "feel good" idiology about something.

Carbon cop handed tough new powers

George Orwell has some interesting reading which draws remarkable similarities to this GREEN/labor government

http://www.online-literature.com/orwell/1984/

http://www.george-orwell.org/Animal_Farm/index.html

And Bluestorm, you said slowly, I would say rapidly heading towards communism.

Back