Carrying Cash

you know, I always thought about this - if you ever won lotto, didn't register your name, and had a tiny little ticket/scratchie worth a million bucks that anyone could claim...how badly would you be packing yourself trying to convert it over? I'd go into the lotto office with a SWAT team I reckon :D

Can't you write your name on the back of the ticket instead? I thought they then had to check your id matches that name before you can claim it? (only for major prizes though)

Can't you write your name on the back of the ticket instead? I thought they then had to check your id matches that name before you can claim it? (only for major prizes though)

I dont know! I've been curious about it for ages. One of my cousins had a big win years ago (25 years ago, 600k. back then, a lot of money) and theyd know, but I'm not their biggest fan

totally unnecessary to carry cash here or overseas.

people in the black economy or who have other reasons to keep financial transactions completely private would see benefits.

really not necessary to carry cash, better to keep it growing somewhere.

I usually have less than $100 cash on me, excpet while travelling when Im probably most vulnerable

Same. In this modern world we live in there is very little need to carry large amount of cash on our person or have stashed at home. It is also very risky.

Maybe a little off topic..but I received an email a couple weeks back and it contained mostly unknown helpful hints. Not sure if they were all true, but this one stuck in my head.
Should you ever find yourself being robbed, and the criminal takes you to the ATM, just enter the reverse of your pin number, and that contacts the police (silently) by the ATM company.

Another hint was if you locked your remote controlled keys in the vehicle, if you call on your mobile the other person with the second set, they can open it with their keys from the phone. They just need to have the mobile phone close to the car at the time.

DID A GOOGLE....disregard this post please
mostly an urban legend...grrrr

Last edited:
Maybe a little off topic..but I received an email a couple weeks back and it contained mostly unknown helpful hints. Not sure if they were all true, but this one stuck in my head.
Should you ever find yourself being robbed, and the criminal takes you to the ATM, just enter the reverse of your pin number, and that contacts the police (silently) by the ATM company.

Another hint was if you locked your remote controlled keys in the vehicle, if you call on your mobile the other person with the second set, they can open it with their keys from the phone. They just need to have the mobile phone close to the car at the time.

Interesting, but I'd suggest verifying things like this before relying on them.

I doubt holding your keys near a phone would help, and if you've locked them in you probably don't have remote locking anyway.

i think you should google those hints

Same. In this modern world we live in there is very little need to carry large amount of cash on our person or have stashed at home. It is also very risky.

Yep I ahve basxcially 4 reasons

1. Don't actually have much cash in the first place
2. Scared of getting robbed
3. Scared of losing it
4. It can tend to burn a hole in my pocket and get spent quicker than it
needs to

I don't mind carrying around a few thousand ...comes from a LOOOOOOONG time in retail carrying banking.

Same here. Generally have anywhere from $500 to a couple $k on me depending on the day, usually because I can only be bothered making a deposit on Tuesday and Fridays.

Xenia, I've never felt unsafe with it or because of it. Having said that, if anyone were ever to try and mug me, it's insured, so a $100 excess would replace however much cash I had on me.

Agree, but their is also a risk carrying none around too.

I feel naked with less than about $100.00 in the wallet. I get $400.00 out at the ATM to save on fees and start twitching to hit an ATM when I get below $100.00.

If your card does not work or you find yourself too drunk to operate an ATM / use credit card in Cab, good to have a little bit stashed away for a cab ride home. ;)

Back