Chinese labour market shortage ?

I got this in my optionetics newsletter yesterday. They do have some good articles occasionally - this one talks about the fact that there is a skilled labour shortage (of 3 million :eek: ) in that country - and the effects.
Happy reading....

Economic Expansion in China Causing a Labor Shortage

By Jeff Neal, Optionetics.com
5/10/2005 10:30 AM EST

It’s hard to believe that a country with a population of more than 1 billion can experience a labor shortage, but the red hot Chinese economy is actually having a very difficult time finding workers. The problem appears to be two-fold in that the economy is growing so fast that the demand for labor is at an all-time high, and at the same time many Chinese no longer want to work long hours for dismal wages to make cheap consumer goods that, of course, are targeted for the export market.

According to the Chinese Labor Ministry, the worker shortage was almost 3 million workers in 2004 and is projected to be an even higher figure for 2005. Chinese economists assert that manufacturing companies that operate in there must start to realize that the days of a limitless supply of workers are over. Of course, the fallout of this tight labor market, along with increased material and shipping costs, are that the very profitable export market could take a hit because these higher prices will likely be pushed on to their biggest customers—like the United States and the industrialized European economies, which will possibly dampen demand.

The huge American retailer Wal-Mart (WMT) could directly be impacted given that the company purchased about $17 billion worth of products from China in 2004. Company officials insist that so far they have been able to minimize the cost increases via negotiation and of course being able to leverage their immense volume. However, the company did reveal concern about managing further cost increases down the road.

Many people who closely follow the Chinese economy insist that this shortage is no real surprise and say it is part of China’s economic maturity. They feel it really is a good thing and that all industrialized nations eventually have to deal with labor shortage issues. In fact, the labor shortage has given many Chinese migrant workers a lot more power in that now they are no longer afraid to make demands for higher wages and benefits.

Even though economists are not really surprised by this new labor shortage many companies that operate in China certainly have been caught off guard. The reason for such huge labor price surges is the many new emerging trends within China. First the agricultural economy in China has really taken off with the rising crop prices and the elimination of agricultural taxes by the Chinese government. The result of this prosperity is that many more farmers can now stay at home versus pursuing factory jobs in the cities. Farm incomes have increased 16 percent since 2003 making most rural workers conclude that minus any specialized technical skills it is far better to stay on the farm and work.

In addition with other rural areas becoming more developed throughout China, rural workers do not have to travel far anymore to find work. Given the huge multi-nationals like General Motors (GM) that have built facilities in these rural areas and also offer better wages has definitely had a draining effect on factory workers in the major cities. The Chinese workers are much more knowledgeable and aware about these types of jobs now than ever before so they are choosing to ignore the inner city factory job to take on a higher paying rural job.

Going forward, these factors will only increase, not decrease, so the current labor shortage will probably be a fact of life for a long long time. This will force factories to eventually improve their facilities, benefits and wages, which will more than likely force many of them out of business. The successful factories that make the transition will do so my being able to raise productivity as better labor and factory conditions are finally implemented.

Ironically, U.S. companies that operate factories in China are not experiencing a labor shortage since they pay decent or better wages. The ones that have really been impacted are the Chinese home grown factories that have been very slow in raising wages in part due to very small profit margins. However, the business landscape has definitely changed by virtue of China’s phenomenal economic growth, creating a lack of workers willing to toil in these old-school facilities. Now it is up to these types of factories to learn to adapt to this new labor shortage or face going out of business.

I can't see the Chinese labour shortage lasting for long. The mechanisation of agriculture will see to that. China currently has 100's of millions of farmers, tending to tiny little plots, and agriculture still is the biggest part of the economy. This will change rapidly. Agriculture is now a tiny part of the Australian economy, yet just a few percent of the population, can feed everyone, and still provide 20% of the nations export income. Mining also provides 50% of export income from just a tiny workforce. Service industrys make up nearly 80% of the work force.

My 360 housepower grain harvester can take off 300 tonnes of grain in a day. Thats as much as 600 men with a sickel could do. My 80 foot wide boom spray can spray 1000 acres in a day. That's as much as 1000 men with hoes could do.

China can compete with almost any industry in the world, but until they mechanise agriculture, they can't compete with broadacre agriculture in Australia. That's why they don't want broadacre agriculture in a free trade agreement. And when they mechanise agriculture, then they have massive unemployment to worry about.

See ya's.

topcropper,

It took three generations of farmers in Australia for this to occur and a consolidation of the industry into larger farms.

I don't expect to see this occur in China in less than several decades - and that's extremely fast in a global perspective.

Labour shortages in China are having a large impact on prices at the moment. It's a pattern similar to the one that has occurred in Taiwan and South Korea.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Oooooooer, a development economics thread, my facourite topic...

Topcropper - imo you are right - this shift in production is typical in as a nation moves along the path to becoming a developed nation... labour market shortages are often reversed as industrialisation occurs / technology increases (I vaguely remember reading a paper on this - but a quick search couldnt locate it)

The key point, as AC mentioned is time... The time it takes for this transition to occur is constantly decreasing - how long will it take? In the end your guess is as good as mine...

There is some great reading on this topic that I can direct people to if you are interested...

Development economics contains very little hardcore econometrics - if you want some econometric texts you'd have to look more towards Globalisation topics - we are lucky to have some world leaders here in Au have a look at work by Amnon Levy and Khorshed Chowdhury (its still related to this area - esp Handbook on the Globalization of the World)

On the Development economics topic have a look at work by D P Chaudhri (works relating to India's development) and Amartya Sen (specifically Development as Freedom)

From memory Charles Harvie (another Wollongong connection) was doing some work on China when I left - h5 and Ill see if I can find it

Tues May 17th

Tonight SBS 8.30 The Cutting Edge : Made in China

"Explores the relationships between US job losses and the American consumers insatiable desire for bargains by looking at the way Wal-Mart does business."

A86

Back