Climate Change, Agriculture, and other stuff.

A farmer with a set amount of land who farms livestock will generally stock his farm accordingly....

If he does not have many deaths then he will cull a less desirable percentage to accomodate . The culls may go to the meatworks !

If the planet were to be run as a sustainable farm then we are overdue for a cull :eek:

Is that the sort of answer you were looking for Adam ? ;)

Shawn

Is it a good thing that industrial agriculture has allowed for more people on the planet?

Well, it's gotta be a great thing for humans. How could it not. Unlimited food supply, [until fossil fuels run out that is]. Probably not so great for the environment, because if there weren't as many humans, there would not be as many problems.

I think it would be nice if the worlds population could be held up now at about 6 billion. But it ain't.

See ya's.

For a bit of interesting reading, google Jared Diamond. I happen to think he is a nutcase, however most of what he says is correct. He thinks agriculture is the worlds biggest ever mistake. Basically he is saying we should have stayed hunter gatherers. Hunter gatherers would never have developed civilisation, and we would have just stayed smart animals with a population of a couple of million.
http://www.agron.iastate.edu/courses/agron342/diamondmistake.html
I could argue that millions of people roaming the country side looking for food, would not be so good for the environment either, but he doesn't think about that.

Last edited:
What do we do about the problem of too many people in the world ? Do away with a few or find another planet ?

Shawn

Nature will fix the problem. Drought and disease. Look at AIDS. It's a disease of gays in the West. In the third world AIDS is a disease of overpopulation. Other diseases will come along as well. Then some nutcase dictator wipes out a heap. War, Genocide.

Why is the populations exploding all in the wrong places? The only countries that could hold more people, Australia, New Zealand, the US and Canada, have pretty flat growth, not counting immigration. But, these countries export most of the food.

Then Africa and parts of Asia are growing madly. Religious tradition has a lot to answer for.

We all know whats going to happen in these overpopulated places. Why can't they see it themselves?

See ya's.

The problems of somewhere like Africa are so large and overwhelming it is hard to see much of an end to wars and starvation . There seems to be hope in some parts .

Interesting TC about the guy who thinks we should have remained hunter gatherers . There is something I read that it was the protein in our meat diet that allowed our brains to grow and evolve so we could move on from the stone age .....

I wonder if Mr Diamond is a vegan :)

Shawn

Back