Closed Threads

What is a valid reason for closing or deleting a thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought I would start a poll to see what other forumites feel are good reasons to close a thread as there appears to be a lot of this going on. So, post away.

Hey Skater

Interesting poll. How long do you thing it will last before it gets closed?? :p

I was going to vote for quite a few of the options (eg spam, slander, personal attacks etc) but unticked them because my opinion is that if any of these occur, an individual post or posts should be deleted rather than the whole thread closed.

My 2 cents...

Interesting poll. How long do you thing it will last before it gets closed?? :p
Hmmmm.........
I was going to vote for quite a few of the options (eg spam, slander, personal attacks etc) but unticked them because my opinion is that if any of these occur, an individual post or posts should be deleted rather than the whole thread closed.

I agree, however I was thinking more about the kind of threads started by someone who has just registered & posts "Hey I've got this great offer for you" kind of stuff. Guess it all depends on how you look at it.:D

My 2 cents...

SOS , as with Skater I agree

I think if someone has taken the time to document their progress, then at least they should have the right to take it to it's logical conclusion.

See Change

I agree, however I was thinking more about the kind of threads started by someone who has just registered & posts "Hey I've got this great offer for you" kind of stuff. Guess it all depends on how you look at it.:D

Ahhhh, yes, you're right again. I'd definitly have those thread deleted too. :D

It seems that closing or deleting threads is on the up. Ive lost 3 threads in the last 2 weeks :mad:

RJ

It seems that closing or deleting threads is on the up. Ive lost 3 threads in the last 2 weeks :mad:

RJ

Did you thread pointing to your website on eBay disappear?

If so, I was wondering how long that one would last. And was one of the others the one with your big billboard on it? If so, I think they're trying to tell you something. :p

Cheers

Somersoft is, thankfully, NOT a democracy..

The mods and administrators we have go back a long way, they've done a sterling job of managing, guiding and guarding over the Somersoft forums.. its grown and matured into what it is today..

Various problematic personalities, issues and challenges have arisen that they've coped with and overcome very well..

Polls like this that seek to use the opinions of whomever are the currently most active subset of members in an attempt to set direction or policy of the forum offer no value..

The Admins and Mod's job and charter transcends the day to day squabbling and opinions that these threads deliver.

Somersoft is technically great (thanks Sim!) and the Mods do a really great job in managing all the other issues that come up.. I trust in them and think you should to.

Well you know Duncan, if you feel that way, then why even bother coming here at all.

I believe that the members of the forum should have a say in whether a thread is cancelled or not. I have a right to voice my belief. I don't bag you out on all your pointless posts about how hard you have life as a male, or how great your life is now that you have simplified it:rolleyes: , so don't bag me out because I choose to ask a question that affects every member of the forum.

I have never once said that the moderators don't do a good job. We all know that they do. But having said that, that doesn't mean they may not make mistakes or want to know what the rest of the members are thinking. They are NOT superhuman after all, just great people offering their time to be of assistance to others.

Apart from the obvious reasons (all of which seem to have been covered in the first half of the poll) I do believe that in a forum of this size, technical issues exist that make it difficult for the "behind the scenes" workings to operate effectively given the size of some of the longer threads (especially with photos etc).

I believe that the members of the forum should have a say in whether a thread is cancelled or not.
By "Cancelled" I assume you mean "Locked".

Seech has suggested that a locked thread can either:
.Be opened for a short time to allow a new post
or (my preferred option)
.Start a new thread- and ask that a link be posted on the old thread.

Would that help?

By "Cancelled" I assume you mean "Locked".
Yep! I'm a goose.:D
Seech has suggested that a locked thread can either:
.Be opened for a short time to allow a new post
or (my preferred option)
.Start a new thread- and ask that a link be posted on the old thread.

Would that help?

Hmm....... it would help, but it is still not the same. In some threads, like the Anchorage one, then starting a new thread with a link to the old, I think would be fine. Same with the Rocky thread. But there are others, where it would detract from it altogether if it were not all in the same thread. Like the diary ones.

Lets take Micheals thread on his development for instance. This has the potential to have hundreds of replies. Do we then break it up into several threads or leave it as one. I think it would be much easier for all involved to leave it as one. It has a start & it should have a finish.

Then you have my reno thread. Well, there really isn't much to add, but leaving it open lets newbies come along & ask a question if they wish. The final cost still hasn't been added because it is now closed.

I feel the diary type threads are a great learning tool. Not just because it involves my thread. It is great to get an up close & personal detailing of how something has evolved. The unexpected delays, how these have been delt with, what works, what doesn't, etc.

If you say that a thread should be closed, at what point do you close it. After 100 posts, or should they be allowed to go to 200. Is 300 acceptable? Do you then open the threads that have been close prematurely?

What about the "All Ords" thread? That is still open, yet has over 260 replies. What about "Living off Equity?" That went to 293 before being closed. Then we have "Operation Cochrane" which is up to 187 (AND NO, I DON'T WANT IT CLOSED). While my reno only went to 151 & got closed.:mad: You can see why I am a little upset.

Skater

If you can post a link to the closed thread, we can open it up again.

If you are then happy everything is OK, you can choose to ask us to close it again.

Any good?

[edit]closed threads will not be left open[/edit]

Last edited:
What about the "All Ords" thread? That is still open, yet has over 260 replies. What about "Living off Equity?" That went to 293 before being closed. Then we have "Operation Cochrane" which is up to 187 (AND NO, I DON'T WANT IT CLOSED). While my reno only went to 151 & got closed.:mad: You can see why I am a little upset.

If you can post a link to the closed thread, we can open it up again.

If you are then happy everyting is OK, you can choose to ask us to close it again.

Any good?

Thankyou for that Geoff.

WOW Skater!! And who said that having a little tantrum wouldn't work?? :p :D

Now, what do I want changed? :cool:

:D

Back