Coming out....

did not watch the show. however have really liked Parkinson and the interviews on his shows in the past.

think many people are underwhelmed by the news...the so called coming out.
wish Thorpe well. his sexual preference is none of my business. hope things improve for him. the little I have seen of him he looks and sounds unhappy and troubled. may he find joy.

Why should u even have to come out anyway! You don't go announcing to the public your straight! Why u have to announce your gay. I mean who givens f@&" what your sexuality is. What has it got to do with anything!?

Yet again Another Media stunt... Anyone else find it strange that the interviewer from channel 10 - Michael Parkinson, and Ian Thorpe Both have the same manager, James Erskine. I'm no Media expert, however i think Erskine would of got a cut from parties. Im not denying the fact the guys a homosexual, however id tell everyone i was gay for 500k. Medias a strange beast....

That about sums it up.

He is an amazing athlete and an incineration to many. I don't know why people are so interested in his sex life.

I think the level of interest was that so many (myself included) were pretty certain he was gay - but he was denying it to the hilt - and therefore living a very public lie.

We were just hoping that he'd garner the strength to be true to himself and overcome the demons that had obviously been plaguing him. It had little to do with being "gay" as most people couldn't care less ... it was about how the denial was obviously causing problems in other areas of his emotional life.

There is no denying he is a celebrity, and as such is a role model to so many, and if he couldn't be honest, even to himself and his family, about what was a major issue holding him in a mental grip, and what it contributed to his depression, then the angst it would cause so many others with similar fears about being true to themselves ... :eek:

It wasn't about the sexuality - it was about living a lie that appeared to be eating him up inside.

I admired him as an athlete - I now admire him even more as a person. I really hope he finds his place in this new future.

I wonder if his family are religious?

It seems, for obvious reasons, to be harder for people raised in religious families to accept and embrace 'who they are'. The fear of being rejected by loved ones once they find out must be agonising.

I was happy to hear that his parents told him that they "love and support him" :).

I hope he finds true happiness in his life soon.

I just don't understand why we place so much emphasis on a person's sexuality. I think that the problem is with society in general and maybe society needs to mature a little or the media should stop treating us like idiots eg " oooh....get ready folks..Thorpy's coming out.....he's a top bloke now because he's fessing up to what is nobody's business lol.

Thank you very much (hope nobody posted something similar coz I didn't all other posts:)

I wonder if his family are religious?

It seems, for obvious reasons, to be harder for people raised in religious families to accept and embrace 'who they are'. The fear of being rejected by loved ones once they find out must be agonising.

I was happy to hear that his parents told him that they "love and support him" :).

I hope he finds true happiness in his life soon.

<<IAN Thorpe's deeply religious father Ken has spoken for the first time since his son's coming out interview with Sir Michael Parkinson on Sunday night, saying God loves Ian and we love Ian unconditionally?. >>

http://www.news.com.au/national/ian...ichael-parkinson/story-fncynjr2-1226988734570

When the (subsequent) Hall of Famer Jackie Robinson broke the "colour barrier" in Major League Baseball in 1947 there were some objections from within the team (some of his white team mates), not to mention the League in general.

In reply Manager Leo Durocher said -

"I do not care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ****in' zebra. I'm the manager of this team, and I say he plays. What's more, I say he can make us all rich. And if any of you cannot use the money, I will see that you are all traded."

Which sums up both:

1) My feeling about Mr Thorpe's sexuality in that it is not of my concern (Though I support gay marriage fwiw, and I wish him a happy life as an openly gay man . To me, it is a non-issue issue).

2) My cynicism around the reported sum of money he was paid for the interview.

Again - like most people - I don't care if he's gay, straight or corkscrew - but this "secret" (from his family and friends) was obviously causing a large part of his mental anguish and depression - and how long did he fight this reality with himself?

The relief and encouragement to "come out" from the majority was for him to embrace who is truly is, make it a non-issue by acknowledging it and being free to move on in his life with no big issue lies to himself or those closest to him.

And it is a big issue to himself - our sexuality, and subsequent desires, is a large part of who we are as primates and animals.

It would be as big an issue if instead he was (for example) denying he was on drugs or had an eating disorder he was hiding, or had anger management issues - or any other number of esteem destroying issues humans have.

It wasn't about his sexuality - it was about his inner acceptance of who and what he is.

Unfortunately, being celebrity, means you have to embrace the good (fame, money, recognition) with the bad (recognition, curiosity, lack of privacy)

Great post Lizzie... and it would never have even been a news item or an issue if the media weren't continually banging on about "is he gay?" and pushing him into a corner.

I really loved the comment I read that said something like "We (Australia) know... now give us a hug."

And I am happy if he has made some money from the interview. He has had to put up with so much crap for so many years with the media speculating about his sexuality, so I reckon he has earned every penny of what he might have made from the interview.

I hope he can now enjoy his life with no more hiding or pretending. I hope he can find happiness with someone special, and that the media will now leave him alone (in this regard anyway).

Would it be news if he preferred his subway sandwiches toasted or fresh?

Or

Big mac over mcchicken

Or

Collingwood over essendon

Think about it!,!??!

This is not the fundamental problem concerning Thorpe.

The ancient Greek philosophers knew the fundamental issue, its there waiting to be 'rediscovered'.

Recognise the fundamental issue, and only then can it be addressed.

Back