Conditions for Tenants

Sounds reasonable in terms of price?

No idea how landlord is going to enforce the no relationship rules when the tenancy start though :eek:

Sounds reasonable in terms of price?

No idea how landlord is going to enforce the no relationship rules when the tenancy start though :eek:

Well, it's not just the "no relationship", there's all the other conditons too:
- have no children
- non smoker
- must be clean
- has to respect all of our guests
- you can be divorced
- no relationship with anyone eg. Boyfriend
- no alcohol
- no drugs
- no ham/pork etc.

They say they're trying to rent out the back of their house, so it sounds like there could be elements of a share house. They could be Jewish, but more likely Muslim, so I can kinda understand their desire to get a Halal tenant.

The no boyfriend rule is a bit odd. Perhaps they have a relative they intend to arrange a marriage with.

Well, it's not just the "no relationship", there's all the other conditons too:
- have no children
- non smoker
- must be clean
- has to respect all of our guests
- you can be divorced
- no relationship with anyone eg. Boyfriend
- no alcohol
- no drugs
- no ham/pork etc.

now you mention it....
I must be numb on some of the items :eek: seen too many listing around uni for female or "male only and "no smokers" for room mate

They say they're trying to rent out the back of their house, so it sounds like there could be elements of a share house. They could be Jewish, but more likely Muslim, so I can kinda understand their desire to get a Halal tenant.
Because of the no ham/ pork item?

The no boyfriend rule is a bit odd. Perhaps they have a relative they intend to arrange a marriage with.

This bit I can understand, sometimes tenant can have boy friend come in and use the place regularly - so technically you have two adults using a one adult accommodations. Assuming water and electricity is included (as it is part of the house), then 2 people will make it a lot more expensive.

I find "can be divorced" part fascinating. Can't they just say one adult no partner.

Big alarm bells there. A Muslim looking for an unattached female to live at the back of his house and respect all of his mates? Do they keep a copy of the key to the room too?

You have their permission to be divorced, but they will take offence to everything else!

I wonder if they know what the social life of a divorced women in Australia is like?
On a good night it could end up with bacon and eggs for breakfast - for 2!

Big alarm bells there. A Muslim looking for an unattached female to live at the back of his house and respect all of his mates? Do they keep a copy of the key to the room too?

Jinan is a female name I believe, put your pitchfork back in the shed

Reactions: S.T
Yes..I am an equal opportunity discriminator...I hate every one equally.

discrimination? :eek:

Very much so.....hey?

Muslim eh?? Are those the same of those people....called ISIS who put people in Orange jump suits for an off with your head party?

Happens with infidel Christians..also...just they are called mistresses....I think the Young Sind is right..it is polygamy is illegal here and a lot of so called Muslim countries.
"Jinan" may be married, and Muslim men are allowed to have multiple partners.

Isn't the ad then reverse discrimination? Weirdly, of all the things that one could find offensive from that ad, for some reason it is the dietary and marital status areas that bother me most!

Imagine if an ad was posted by let's say an Australian of anglo-saxon appearance , and their ad specified (for example) 'No curried foods allowed'. They would be (rightly) pulled up and called out as racist/discriminatory.

It must be a fine line then. For instance, when I posted a Flatmatefinders.com.au ad once, I was able to specify 'non-smoker' and 'no pets'. I could also specify a preferred gender, and that was acceptable. I guess things like religion, marital status, sexuality etc. ought to be specified as 'preferred' versus 'disallowing' the opposites of the preferences? I don't know. Part of it is 'political correctness gone too far', the other part is just bad communication. Why for instance, didn't the poster just specify 'Muslim preferred' as opposed to 'no pork/ham'?

I agree that the no boyfriend thing is the difficult one here - and would be better to 'prefer' no pork etc. Can't 'prefer' marital status or sexuality. That's not OK - but they do say divorced is OK, bless them.
Despite all this, I could easily do it - but still too exy. A tenant like this could and should work down the rent a bit.
Alarm bells ring with respecting their friends. Their friends need to stay right away and respect the tenant's privacy, thank you very much.

I wouldn't want my daughter to even enquire. I don't care whether it's a man or a woman. I wouldn't complain about discrimination. I would just stay away. What I would be concerned about is this: "you must level with our orders". Yikes! Sounds like they're setting the ground rules pretty early: 'Don't even think about making any decisions yourself. You're completely under our control". They're letting the prospective tenant know that she will have no autonomy and that this is not a democracy.

There are so many share houses around with nice, ordinary kids. Go elsewhere.

In a shared house I think it's okay to say no drugs/smoking and must be female/male. Anything beyond that is not okay.

Not sure my lovely sister would be a good fit... I've seen her room :p

I know it was a bit of an odd ad but surely they can specify whatever they want in a tenant/housemate as it's their own home you would be living in? There's plenty of other places to live and anyone silly enough to take up residence there would be doing so subject to the rules of the house.

Back