cooking oil

What do you do with your cooking oil if there is alot left in the pot or pan, once you have used it.
Are we allowed to put it in a container, in the rubbish bin?

i put mine on the weeds i want to kill ... usually i cook homemade fish and chips in the oil so it's not any good for reusing,

i would like you all to think of me of a good doer, a nice greenie type of somone, if you do sorry. to disapoint,
Chuck it in the bin, no time , for greenie stuff!:rolleyes:

i would like you all to think of me of a good doer, a nice greenie type of somone, if you do sorry. to disapoint,
Chuck it in the bin, no time , for greenie stuff!:rolleyes:

Try and find someone nearby who makes biodiesel or WVO.

I collect mine and dewater and strain to 1 micron and do a blend with mineral diesel and use in my ute.

You could try this forum, I think you may have to join to post like most forums.
http://www.biofuelsforum.com/

What do you do with your cooking oil if there is alot left in the pot or pan, once you have used it.

AFAIK that is the preferred method for liquid oils.

If it's the type that can go solid when it's cooled down scrape it out and wrap it in newspaper then in goes in the bin.

I do re-use mine a few times as I only cook chips in it.
I have often wondered what the chip shops do with theirs as they would have to have a hell of a container to take it all. And I've wondered how often they change the oil.

I have often wondered what the chip shops do with theirs as they would have to have a hell of a container to take it all. And I've wondered how often they change the oil.
There ate companies which take away used cooking oil.

I use it to season sleepers in the garden - not sure if it is helping or attracting more wood eating insects!

Cheers,

The Y-man

We generally don't cook in oil, use Ozzy ex virg olive oil for fresh salads etc, any "fat" remnants from a lamb roast or something are recycled to go into a home made secret horse's hooves foot dressing we paint on their feet. Mixed in with stockholm tar and paraffin oil. Between wet patches and the hoof dressing their feet are beautiful. Usually confined to drier/summer weather.

Save it up in drums then try the following locations: http://www.zerowaste.sa.gov.au/Recycler.mvc/Results

http://recyclingnearyou.com.au/cooking-oil/AdelaideSA

Your local waste tranfer station or bottle depot may also have a drum where you can dispose of used oil.

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

What Pogi said, but not just oil, fat etc from the bottom of roasting pans. And being really lazy and not using much oil it takes a long time to fill that bottle. Keep it in the freezer if you don't want it going all ikky.

Also makes for really interesting geological layering with nice different colours in the bottle ;)

Back