How to cook eggs?

at the roadhouse here, I'm pretty sure they put a lid over the eggs..it's about 5-6" high

Actually your right, you don't flip them, for the last 30 sec you put a lid over the pan, the condensation Quickly builds up and then turns to steam in the pan and lightly seals the top of the eggs

Top Chef? Perhaps the Heston Blumenthal way.

Heston's solution for getting a properly fried white without hardening the yolk is to cook them in two stages. Separate the egg and carefully drop the white into a hot pan and place over direct heat, or in the oven, until set. Then drop the yolk on top and put under a hot grill for 10 to 15 seconds.

Then charge $100 for it.

Did this on the weekend on a 2 day canoe trip down the Macleay River. The bloke who was carrying the hotplate lost it overboard when he went upside down on a big rapid. So for lunch on the second day [just sunday gone] we wanted some eggs. So we cooked em in a beer can and they were just fine. Well, fine enough as anything tastes good when camping. :D

So they went on the coals with the bass.

The first two were fine so then we did another 6.

Don't worry, we cart out all our rubbish. Not the hotplate though, as we didn't know it was lost overboard.

See ya's.

While they're at it, throw away the toy knives and buy two good quality butchers knives (one 20" and one 26") and a serrated edge knife. Then get them sharpened professionally the first time and learn how to sharpen them properly yourself afterwards. Then spend ten minutes a week sharpening them.

Do you mean cm? A 26 inch knife sounds a bit of handful!

Eggs in a basket when camping, or the BBQ is out :D

images

Enjoying your garlic? :D

Oh **** Yeah!
It's real!

As for eggs - mine have to be blasted to rubber ... and my bacon needs to be crispy ... and my mushrooms need to be caramelised ...

Remember when on a trip to the US when it came to eating at many of the diners or even restaurants, they ask you so many questions about how you would like your food cooked or what to have with it.

Breakfast had me quickly learning to ask for "bacon..whimpy, eggs..easy over"
I like my bacon basically just warmed up as it's already "cooked" (cured) when you buy it. The whimpy came from the first waitress we'd met and when I said I like it "rare" she said "oh...ok whimpy !"

Crisping it to brown is a waste of the butchers efforts IMO but fair enough, what you like is what you like. My wife likes her bacon the same, crispy. Peace out!:D

Did other places know what you meant by whimpy, Fence? Or just that one place?

Yes, every where we went!

But your thoughts were mine at the time (1999) too!

It did feel kinda awkward asking for "whimpy" bacon.

But thats the yanks, their language is different.

Obviously their interpretation of whimpy is diff to ours, theirs is literally correct, whimpy soft, so not crispy.

I was thinking about this thread today while I'm up the coast on holidays..... With my favourite frypan, paella pan, knives, egg slice, wine glasses and beer glasses.

Took the family, too, but they were an afterthought.

Back