How to cook eggs?

ok, so I like my eggs soft or medium,
my kids love it soft,

when you go to a cafe, the fried eggs are always cooked to perfection with the skin on the yolk cooked,

whenever I do it at home, it doesnt work for soft, and i can never get it medium without burning them,

ive put water in the pan and lid it to steam the top, but then the eggs are bubbly and ugly

low heat only makes ultra soft ie raw yolks

how do you expert chefs do it?

Need a deeper pan so the lid isnt so close to the yolk to prevent bubbling from my experience (dont know if this is official, but my deeper pan with lid was more effective than shallow).

These days I use a breakfast plate on the weber-q, close the lid and they come up trumps.

medium to low heat, cook for about 2 mins one side then flip for 30 seconds after turning off the heat source. Preferably gas stove top or BBQ.

Perfect firm egg with hot running yolk, everytime.

Home grown eggs help immensly.

Eggs are one of my favorite foods, I have 4 every morning. Usually poached on work days because its faster, but into a good omelette with meat/veg/herbs added on weekends. Sometimes friend or scrambled instead. And usually a boiled one in salads.

For fried, you need to fully preheat pan, preferably in the fat that resulted from frying your bacon. Cook until the white has air holes in it, then flip it. The reverse side only needs a few seconds. I don't like mine too soft.

How heavy is the base of your frypan, TMNT?
I have had an old, heavy cast iron fry pan forever. Perfect eggs every time. I never flip.

How heavy is the base of your frypan, TMNT?
I have had an old, heavy cast iron fry pan forever. Perfect eggs every time. I never flip.

honestly, ive used different type and have failed dismally each time,

as for flipping, obviously if I flip it it will be easy,

but when you eat at cafes and restuarants, the eggs are cetainly not flipped, and they care cooked soft to medium and not a burn mark in site,

obviosly they would be using teflon coated or non stick pans, and oil, but it never seems to work for me, even if i submegred my eggs in oil ;)

and yes come to think about, it i think they are mostly the thinner types.

I get the perfect eggs you're describing often on my BBQ - which would be similar to the commercial hot plates in cafe's. Not sure what it is exactly.

My personal preference however, is poached.

They burn cause the temperature is too high. Lower the temperature with an oil that doesnt get as hot, most people use a nob of butter. Animal fat has one of the higher temperatures, and is therfore easier to burn (or get crispy, mmmm).

SO try some oil and butter over a medium heat for your fried eggs. When you are ready to do poached, get a pot, not a pan. Boil the water, add a big swig of white vinegar, (lemonjuice or white wine also works) turn the heat down so its just simmering, and crack your eggs in. Use a slotted spoon to stop them sticking to the bottom of the pan, and to get them out. You can watch as the white solidifies, and pull them out before the yolk starts to harden.

Serve with home made toast, bacon, on a bed of rocket, tomato and parsley salad with lemonjiuce and little olive oil.

Yes, Sanj, there are two types of people in this world. Those who flip eggs and those who don't. It's never occurred to me to flip an egg.

If I have fried eggs I'm a flipper :eek:

The clear skin on top that the OP was referring to grosses me out, so I flip to get rid of it.

On the other hand. If I have a milkshake I have no issues blending a raw egg in there. Yum!

I have had an old, heavy cast iron fry pan forever.

What needs to happen is that everyone throws away the tin foil garbage they bought at Myer that is endorsed by Jamie Oliver, go to a chef supply store and buy a set of cast iron pans, take them home, season them, then have perfect pans for life.

While they're at it, throw away the toy knives and buy two good quality butchers knives (one 20" and one 26") and a serrated edge knife. Then get them sharpened professionally the first time and learn how to sharpen them properly yourself afterwards. Then spend ten minutes a week sharpening them.

Yes, Sanj, there are two types of people in this world. Those who flip eggs and those who don't. It's never occurred to me to flip an egg.

Quick flip to seal it for an "over easy' ;)

Though at home I just use a glass lid which assists let the trapped heat and steam gently cook and seal the top of the eggs, for oil I use coconut oil

As with some others above, poached are my favourite

Quick flip to seal it for an "over easy' ;)

Yep!

.....for oil I use coconut oil

Me too, along with the fat if cooking bacon.

As with some others above, poached are my favourite

Yeah I love poached too but the missus not so.

So when Im cooking for both of us its always an omlette with chopped eggplant, sweet potato, capsicum, mushrooms, tomato, spring onions, garlic (Pokolbin :D) etc.

Delicsioso!

Back