Craig Thompson found guilty

After good behavior and remissions, I predict he will only serve 18 months. This type of sentencing is par for the course for white collar crime, especially if it involves politicians and businessmen.

After good behavior and remissions, I predict he will only serve 18 months. This type of sentencing is par for the course for white collar crime, especially if it involves politicians and businessmen.

I reckon he'll be sentenced to about 18 months, and he won't even serve a full year in gaol.

Here's a case of a bookkeeper who defrauded his employer of $130,000 (or 4 times the amount Thompson stole) and he effectively got a $2000 fine.

Thompson will get a harsher sentence because he went to trial and has shown no remorse, but I doubt he'll serve 12 months.

Suspended sentence for CT?

Agree, jails are already full with crims that have done much worse than this... I'm sure his lawyers will talk about his "fine reputation and standing in society" at the plea hearing.

Anyway, I think he's suffered his punishment already - publicly humiliated, life and career basically ruined and I believe his latest wife has left him.

Will he re-apply for his job back at the Union?

He can help train a few of the up and comers...

As a "consultant" of course.

Me thinks they will still get Union stooges.

On a side note, it looks like we are going to get a new senate election here in WA, i wonder who the ALP has as their number 1 ticket holder?.

baw haw haw

It promises to be an interesting sideshow. Curious to see in any minor party reps get voted in again with less than 1% of the vote.

I will want to see how Palmer fares viv a vis Labor and Liberal. The courier Mail here in Qld has had a sustained attack on him (courtesy of Rupert my inside Journo source tells me) to get him on the electoral nose. Some would say he's done that himself.

Will he re-apply for his job back at the Union?

He can help train a few of the up and comers...

As a "consultant" of course.

I'm sure he'd have many mates who would be happy to ignore these 'usual' and minor indiscretions and who would be happy to fix him up with a job.

Just look at Tanya Plibersek's husband. He was charged and given 9 years for drug trafficking in narcotics yet landed a job as head of the Department of Education and Training in NSW.

Any teacher with his criminal record would have been out of a job whereas this clearly didn't apply to him.

Curious to see if he gets charged with misleading parliament as well??

Just look at Tanya Plibersek's husband. He was charged and given 9 years for drug trafficking in narcotics yet landed a job as head of the Department of Education and Training in NSW.

True but to be fair he did his time and is entitled to start a new life. Otherwise you are just punishing him for the rest of his life and I think that is not right.

True but to be fair he did his time and is entitled to start a new life. Otherwise you are just punishing him for the rest of his life and I think that is not right.

But who else with his lack of experience (at the time) and that behind them gets that kind of opportunity?

Answer... someone with 'mates' in NSW Labor.

But who else with his lack of experience (at the time) and that behind them gets that kind of opportunity?

Answer... someone with 'mates' in NSW Labor.

Well you can always run that argument for any job. Going for say an accounting job with the same degree/experience but one has been in jail before for some unrelated crime? There will always be a candidate without a conviction so therefore automatically better than you.

Well you can always run that argument for any job. Going for say an accounting job with the same degree/experience but one has been in jail before for some unrelated crime? There will always be a candidate without a conviction so therefore automatically better than you.

Like I said, who else with his lack of experience (at the time), a significant criminal record under their belt, and with no 'mates', gets such an opportunity?

Forget entitled, fair, unfair...

Like I said, who else with his lack of experience (at the time), a significant criminal record under their belt, and with no 'mates', gets such an opportunity?

Well I don't know but I am wary of trying to taint people with unrelated charges forever. Who knows what happened.

True but to be fair he did his time

Hey ??

Spent 5 minutes googling !!! wtf....

Tanya Plibersek's husband is a convicted heroin dealer, sentenced to 9 years and serves only 2 years and 9 months....then is let go. Wouldn't exactly call that "serving your time".

No mention of the lives he's destroyed dealing in heroin.

In the comments section, it says about 98% of the voting population don't know about this. I'd reckon about 99.99%.

He then, under NSW state Labor, being mates with Della Bosca, gets appointed as the Director of Education in NSW (with only a degree in journalism to rely on.....nothing to do with education whatsoever).

In 2011, when the Libs sweep to power in NSW, he unbelievably keeps his job.

You couldn't make this stuff up. Truth is better than fiction in Labor NSW. You guys are crazy.

I'm not an ALP apologist but that's how our criminal justice system works. As for the crookedness of the party I do agree but dealing heroin is unrelated to ripping off HSU members.

I'm not an ALP apologist but that's how our criminal justice system works. As for the crookedness of the party I do agree but dealing heroin is unrelated to ripping off HSU members.

Fair point well made.

One of the purposes of prison is rehabilitation. It looks successful, and as a department head if there were any problems with how he conducted himself it would be a straightforward non-renewal of contract to remove him, as happened to a number of other department heads when the O'Farrell government came to power.

Maybe, just maybe, he did some wrong things when he was young, was punished for them, and his learnt his lesson and is now a decent member of society? And maybe, just maybe, if he was of a different political persuasion his praise would be sung?

Isn't it ex-wife now?
Well no, he's currently on wife #3, who (as it turns out) was pregnant with their first child when she first heard about these charges, in 2008 I think it was. Apparently she said to him something along the lines of, 'Look, you may as well admit it, then we can make some damage control plans' and he looked her straight in the eye and said, 'I didn't do it'.
:eek:

Back