Craig Thompson found guilty

Oh dear... 5 days before an election.

Fraud charges over $180,000 union fund

Sarah Martin
The Australian
March 11, 201412:00AM

THE Employee Ombudsman in South Australia has been arrested and charged with 67 counts of fraud allegedly committed while he was a union boss representing some of the country's lowest paid workers.

Stephen Brennan, former South Australian and Tasmanian branch secretary for the national textile union, was arrested last Thursday over 35 counts of falsifying accounts and 32 counts of dishonest dealing with documents.

Police made the arrest after the union reported alleged misuse of union funds last year. It claimed up to $180,000 had been defrauded from members between 1999 and 2004.

Robbing one bank is bad. Robbing 20 banks is worse.
Nah; didn't you know? - the previous convictions/allegations/pattern of behaviour isn't allowed to be mentioned during the current case before the court. :eek:

That might influence the thinking of the jury/judge! :rolleyes:

"Yer Honour; my client has only ever done this one time - it was an error of judgement - he is actually a good person!"

Defrauding a company of $10,000 is bad. Defrauding a company of $100,000 is worse.

Dealing in $1,000 of illegal drugs is bad. Dealing in $100,000 of illegal drugs is worse.

All just examples of crimes where the severity of the sentence is affected by the severity/amount/number of the crime. I do not wish to see you car stolen, your bank robbed, your company defrauded or anything like that.
In the case of the cars; if he stole one car the sentence would be X years; but what if he stole one truck with 20 cars on it?

That'd be a similar scenario to what you are saying here about an amount of money being X or Y?

yes weg saw that too. he stood down last may and is still on full pay. he should resign but probably will not. perhaps the libs will restructure this so called dept? we do not need this unproductive stuff plus we have the unpleasant creature in the upper house who also will not move on.

need a clean up in sa.

I don't think Craig Thompson has to worry about "Question time" anymore, he now has to worry about "Shower time". The cons won't care whether he's labor or liberal and they won't pay for his services! Fresh fish!

I don't think Craig Thompson has to worry about "Question time" anymore, he now has to worry about "Shower time". The cons won't care whether he's labor or liberal and they won't pay for his services! Fresh fish!

"I could be a friend to youuu"

diamond.gif

"Arghhh"

THomSon1.jpg

That "union money" was taken from the wages of individual Australians who paid union fees in the hope that the unions would help negotiate better working conditions and wages for them. So thousands of people contributed funds for Craig Thompson to steal. I don't see how you can consider the loss to be less significant than the theft of taxpayer money. He has committed an offence against thousands of people, and unfortunately the maximum sentence does not reflect the magnitude of the crime.

Well if individuals are stupid enough to pay union fees to be "represented" then you have relegated your rights to such union. If they steal YOUR money or trifle it away on their exorbitant wages and you persist in continuing to pay dues then ....tough titties... The only way I consider the loss to be less significant than taxpayer money is in that I have not been directly financially impacted by the theft. I will now be impacted now that it will be a taxpayer cost to imprison the dung beetle. The way I see it, union funds should now be used to pay for his incarceration costs.

Personally don't know why we even need unions in this day and age, they do more harm to our economy than good. But as long as there are brain washed plebs willing to pay them dues they stay...I have a solution to ending union corruption, it's simple...get rid of unions :cool:

Personally don't know why we even need unions in this day and age, they do more harm to our economy than good.

I think the general population of Australia has also worked that out.

Have a squizz at the graph from the ABS.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/Lookup/6310.0main+features3August 2011

That's from August 2011, where union membership has plummeted from 43% down to 18% in only 20 years.

I read some more recent data saying that it has dropped further down to about 13%, but couldn't locate the relevant graph.

I reckon it's safe to say the public have also given up the quaint notion that these fat bloated union officials have their best interests at heart. The undisputed fact that one of Australia's major political parties draws the vast bulk of their candidates from this lot is an utter disgrace, and looking at the election results all over the country, I reckon they are onto them.

So Williamson gets 7-1/2 years jail, with a minimum of 5 years non-parole.

Holy smokes, the bad apples are starting to float to the top. I reckon in the next 5 years, NSW Labor will be purged of 30 years of wicked corruption, with people like Bob Carr sitting at the top of that wretched pile that he oversaw for so long.

That's another self-important ex Union Money Man that has unexpectedly faded from public attention how these people live and look at their face in the mirror each morning must become a worry over time..

The one item that will stand out over the next 5 years is Williamson and all the rest will also suffer the same fate..

It will probably end up being a minimum security prison "aka small country club" where his accomodation, meals and health services will be funded by the public purse. Ironic. Doubt he will be worrying about shower time in the type of place he will be going. Probably be more like an extended holiday.

Interesting to see how the 3 state liberal mps and the federal assistant treasurer fare as the ICAC investigation proceeds.

Looks like getting rid of a few bad apples from more than one tree.

Back