Creating space for a dishwasher

Moving into my house over the next few weeks, and one thing we need to install is a dishwasher (if you ever saw the state of my kitchen, you'd understand why!).

Problem. There's no dishwasher space.

Now, along the sink side of the kitchen there are 3 sets of double cabinets (fairly normal), so I want to install the dishwasher to one side of the sink. There's a double cabinet directly beneath the sink, so immediately to one side.

From floor to under the bench will leave enough clearance for the dishwasher (it's 850mm), but we need to cut into the cupboards to create the space for the dishwasher.

As far as I can tell, the wall between the cupboards we want to remain, and just drill a hole along the back for the plumbing to go. So that means we'd need to pull out the shelf (probably needs cutting), cut that down in half and install a new wall inside the cupboard, reducing that to half size. That part should be pretty easy.

Remove the door, of course, and also cut into the part under the cupboard (between the cupboard and floor) to open that hole up.

As far as I can tell, none of this should be particularly difficult....anybody done this sort of work before? Anything I'm missing or being daft about?

After I create the space I figure I'd have to get a sparky in to create a connection for it (got a few other jobs for a sparky as well), then we'll get the dishwasher in and installed...

Depending on the width of your dishwasher it might be wider than one cupboard door.

We have a hole in the side wall of the internal cabinetry which plumbing travel from sink area and the power cord goes through to a GPO under sink.

It'll only be as wide as one door (I've measured), though even if it's wider that's probably one of the more minor issues, there's a number of things we can do around that anyway. Heck we may even take the opportunity to leave it open, got an idea or two around that.

But thanks for pointing out that possibility :)

Back