Disgusting hairdressing service

I had my daughters hair trimmed at a salon in a large shopping complex. The cutter totally hacked her hair, cut some peices really short, whole leaving other chunks long. I took her to another hairdresser yesterday to try to fix what she could. It took new hairdresser 40 minutes to creatively try to disguise chunks of missing hair. It will take many years to grow out. I really doubt the first hairdresser was qualified. The second hairdresser said it was the worst cut she has ever seen. I wasn't going to contact the first hairdresser but now I'm really annoyed and really don't want anyone else to experience this horrible situation. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of bad haircut, but there is still chunks missing. I'm tempted now to ask for $26 back and tell them I'm disquieted with service. (and ask for I phone 5 for compensation :D) What would you do?

Refund would be minimum compensation.

I would also contact consumer protection just to find out what should happen in this case and your rights.

What do you think is fair compensation in this situation??

In Italy would you believe anyone can be a hairdresser, I got caught big time, an absolute disaster, the hairdresser forget about the tint in my hair, my hair turned purple/blue/black, I spent the next 3 months washing it out with lemon juice and other stuff.

Good luck

It is a fact that, for most, hair grows around 1cm a month. Unless your daughter had very long hair it will not take years for it to grow back.

I would certainly contact the manager of the first store and tell them your story. If you simply paid and left, the store has no way of knowing you are unhappy. A personal visit would be best as you have the advantage of being there in the store telling your story.

At best, you may get your money back, though without evidence of the cut it may be difficult. Unless your child is a professional model, "compensation" would be very difficult.

Hair grows.

I doubt it will make you feel any better, but a friend's 5 year old had never had a haircut and had gorgeous blond plaits down to her waist. She was playing "hairdresser" with a friend (similar age) and the little friend neatly cut off one of the plaits at the hairline!!
Marg

So you went to a second hairdresser and tried to get it looking reasonable without first going back to the first one?

If you go back now, expect the first hairdresser to wipe their hands clean of this.

pinkboy.

Refund would be minimum compensation.

I would also contact consumer protection just to find out what should happen in this case and your rights.

What do you think is fair compensation in this situation??

In Italy would you believe anyone can be a hairdresser, I got caught big time, an absolute disaster, the hairdresser forget about the tint in my hair, my hair turned purple/blue/black, I spent the next 3 months washing it out with lemon juice and other stuff.

Good luck
It was pretty bad! I found myself questioning if she purposely ruined it. It looked like a revenge attack, but must just be pure incompetence. You know how men don't usually notice hair cuts - my husband noticed immediately it was a mess. I straightened her hair for her trying to get my head around what she did as I wasn't watching her hair get cut. There was 10cm chunks beside 80cm long strands. My daughter was researching last night and found comments that the hairdressing chain uses untrained, unqualified staff. I thought hairdressers had to be qualified in Aus, but now I'm not sure. The second hairdresser asked me if first one was qualified.

So you went to a second hairdresser and tried to get it looking reasonable without first going back to the first one?

If you go back now, expect the first hairdresser to wipe their hands clean of this.

pinkboy.

I would never ever go near the place again and let any of them touch her hair. I also don't want others to go through this either though!

Add - if they had a few complaints about her it would add to my case- and she was that bad that I'm sure they would.

I read some reviews this morning regarding salon from the past year, all bad reviews!!

Last edited:
I would never ever go near the place again and let any of them touch her hair. I also don't want others to go through this either though!

The correct thing to do would have gone back and shown them your daughters hair and ask for a refund. If they offered a re-cut, you would have just declined and asked for your money back.

Now you have a 3rd party have a go at the haircut before going back to the original hairdresser, they are not going to come to the party with a refund.

We get you are annoyed (and rightly so), but your @r$e about action has cost you.

pinkboy

Add - if they had a few complaints about her it would add to my case- and she was that bad that I'm sure they would.

I read some reviews this morning regarding salon from the past year, all bad reviews!!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

pinkboy

The correct thing to do would have gone back and shown them your daughters hair and ask for a refund. If they offered a re-cut, you would have just declined and asked for your money back.

Now you have a 3rd party have a go at the haircut before going back to the original hairdresser, they are not going to come to the party with a refund.

We get you are annoyed (and rightly so), but your @r$e about action has cost you.

pinkboy

Unfortunately i agree with this. You have no photos of the original bad haircut as well, try and look at it from the salon owner's POV as well.

They may still do it to keep the peace but the odds are stacked against you now.

Unfortunately i agree with this. You have no photos of the original bad haircut as well, try and look at it from the salon owner's POV as well.

They may still do it to keep the peace but the odds are stacked against you now.

Yes, I agree! It's difficult to deal with a 14 year old that has spent two days crying, with a blanket over her. She's starting a new school in two weeks, is feeling like cr@p, low self-esteem. She did have beautiful hair so it's a big shame. It would be nice to be compensated as a softener to her feeling like this, but I should have done something immediately but was so shocked what a mess it was and trying lots of rationalising and tears. Really didn't need this!! I know its not a big thing but it is to her right now and she is shocked and angry.

Im not a real hair/fashion person, but can you go to a hairdresser and maybe get it coloured/foils/highlights added, different cut etc, which will take the focus off the cut out bits?

Honestly, it would be devastating for a 14yo girl to have their appearance degraded. I know my Miss 8 would be pretty gutted if this happened.

What's done is done. Monetary compensation is not going to bring back her hair. Best to focus on a solution, rather than dwell on the problem.

pinkboy

Yes, I agree! It's difficult to deal with a 14 year old that has spent two days crying, with a blanket over her. She's starting a new school in two weeks, is feeling like cr@p, low self-esteem. She did have beautiful hair so it's a big shame. It would be nice to be compensated as a softener to her feeling like this, but I should have done something immediately but was so shocked what a mess it was and trying lots of rationalising and tears. Really didn't need this!! I know its not a big thing but it is to her right now and she is shocked and angry.

I do this too. Something happens and I react and then later think... I should have done this, I should have done that. I think that is normal. Under pressure, people don't always make the right decisions. I hope it works out.

I've got girls and something similar happened to one of them.

I went out and purposely got a really bad haircut to keep her company.

Boy, that was an odd conversation at the hairdressers.

Does she have a hat?

pinkboy.

But why would you mention the fact that another hairdresser had a go at it, not necessary

I would just ask for the manager and request a refund, done and dusted.

I was quoted $90 from a local hairdresser, first timer.

When I went to pay my bill was $210, I simply had a minor tint/foils, 3 to be exact. I was gobsmacked, paid this on the day as owner was not around.

Phoned the following week, spoke to the owner and she said that I was also charged for a massage, what bloody massage was that???

Anyway, she agreed that I needed to be advised of the extra charges and she refunded money so I ended up paying $90.

But why would you mention the fact that another hairdresser had a go at it, not necessary

I would just ask for the manager and request a refund, done and dusted.

Deceit MTR. If INVSTOR involved a 3rd party of any kind, the original hairdresser has the right to know to determine a refund. Otherwise they haven't been given the chance to first rectify. As I said earlier, they should have gone to the original hairdresser first, and demanded a refund and declining a re-cut to use the funds to rectify at another hairdresser. Not the @r$e about way presented here.

There are many questions still to be answered..................

Why would you even walk out of the salon if you were not happy with it?

Did the hairdresser not ask 'How is this length?', 'Are you happy with that?' etc and you have a look in the mirror and check it out?

INVSTOR, were you there when Daughters hair was cut watching?

pinkboy

I think a little harsh, I know many people myself included who have worked out of a salon and said nothing because once the deed is done its almost impossible to reverse.

If I was in the same scenario as invstor I would request a refund.

Got nothing to do with deceit, totally irrelevant.

The hairdressing salon was paid to provide a service, however they did not meet their obligations.

What's the difference between a bad haircut and a good hair cut? Answ: about 2 weeks.

On that note I might go and get some KFC !

Back