Do I need a sparky to change a light switch?

I would argue that New Zealanders are even GREATER risk takers, and are most certainly much more DIY than aussies.

Yet with this in mind, why do they have substantially LESS electrocutions whilst having no regulations forbidding people doing their own electrical wiring??

Could it be that one of the reasons NZ has less electrocutions is because they provide safety education for its citizens about the right way of DIY as mentioned by James Allen at post 125:

James Allen will become famous soon enough
For the benefit of those that are from New Zealand here is the DIY guide to home wiring put out by the Energy Saftey NZ (govt organisation). It includes instruction and diagrams on wiring 2 way switching.

http://www.energysafety.govt.nz/uplo...8/ecp51v18.pdf

Remember this is only for those readers in NZ that are legally allowed to carry out limited DIY domestic wiring.

that would be a pretty good reason!!

And the resulting lack of deaths from electrocution in NZ serves as more than sufficient evidence for me that restriction simply DOESNT WORK.

..... another thing regarding the rules in NZ

Energy Safety NZ said:
Ensure that if you install, extend or alter cables, you do not connect your work to the electricity supply yourself. The finished job must be checked and tested by a licensed electrical inspector. If it complies with safety requirements, the inspector will connect it, test it, and issue you with a Certificate of Compliance.

Back