Dog Poo

I have a site on a corner lot and for some reason a couple of owners take their dogs there to go to the toilet.

The corner is just grass with no foot path.

Every time you walk round the corner you have an almost 100% chance of walking in one of the dog poops left behind.

Is there some kind of chemical I can pour on the grass that creates a scent that the dogs hate?

I don't have time to wait on the corner to tell the owners to take their dogs else where. Even if I do it doesn't mean they will stop.

Anyone have any solutions?

Put camera and take pics and put sign up with pic, say you charge $10 everytime they poop there. I'm kidding. Pet peeve of mine, people who don't clean up after their dog (and oh, doing it on other people property), making other responsible owners look bad :mad:

If I'm nice enough, I'll put a sign up "Clean up your poop" with dog poo bag attached.

Fence is the most practical I guess

Black pepper

Put down black pepper, go to a 'spice shop' buy a large bag of fine ground pepper and put it down on the 'spot' every day.

Also it will need to be replaced each time it rains..

Until the owners get the message.

Dogs generally don't like black pepper. I certainly don't want to argue with any one. Dog excrement carries diseases. Keep it away from yourself and your children, and any one with a compromised immune system.

Also Phenyl. I think its called Wheelie Bin Cleaner. I suspect it hurts the doggies though so I would try it only if the black pepper doesn't work.

Not fair on you though,
I hope this helps,

Last edited:
I wouldn't use anything that will hurt the dog. It is not the dog's fault that its owner allows it to use your yard as a toilet.

We used to have a neighbour a few doors away who got one of the teenagers to walk the old dog every day to take a poop on our footpath. One day I was backing out the dog was doing its business (on a leash held by one of the kids) outside my gate, and I glared at the mother (my age). When I got back from the school pick up someone had walked down and pushed or rolled the poop from the path onto the grass. Why not just pick it up?

They left soon after, good riddance.

Hire a crotchety old man to sit on the porch and yell at everyone that walks past.

Hire one? Be one, way more fun.

If they're walking them regularly, they're probably creatures of habit. Video to find out when they walk past, and be ready with a hose to water it into the grass. If they cop some overspray, tough bikkies, shouldn't leave it there in the first place

I would contact the council, most have rules that you must pick up after your dog.

Perhaps they have a brochure that you could get/copy and letter box the area so that the owners are reminded that they need to pick up after their dog or the ranger can fine them.

set up a webcam to take photos every 5 seconds or so (assuming you have a window looking into the offending area).

Then post a picture of them on a telegraph pole (flip the image to confuse them so they don't know which angle it was taken at) :p

Back