what would you do?

My mother's pensioner neighbour does some occasional backyard dog breeding, her last litter being about a year ago.

I've been around there on occasion and have not been concerned, however...

recently this neighbour went around to my mothers house with the remaining Shih Tzu that she had decided to keep (?couldn't sell) but was having problems because it was supposedly being bullied by another dog so thought the win win solution would be for it to move into mums to keep her company, as she lives alone.

At the time this woman did mention briefly to her that it has the occasional 'minor' limp but it was born with it and generally didn't give the dog problems. Mum thought little of it.

Anyway this did ended up being the case... a slight limp every now and then, but mum thought this was no biggie because it would rarely last long, it could weight bear, and the dog was always playful and in good spirits. She's not owned a dog before.

Yesterday mother brought to my attention that the dog has not been able to weight bear since early yesterday. She was very concerned and so was I.

What we've worked out is this dog has probably had hip dysplasia since birth and this woman couldn't sell it but she wasn't prepared to take it to a vet either :mad:.

Now mum has warmed to this little dog but at the same time would be prepared to give it back, but is concerned this woman wouldn't take it to the vet - to complicate things further mum was in two minds about keeping it before yeaterday.

Now I'm entertaining thoughts of seeking treatment for a dog I don't particularly want, but looks like I might end up with.

How much does this surgery cost? What would others do? It's a gorgeous little thing.

30a3zfa.jpg

Mr. Fabs solution is one! Gotta admit, I burst out laughing ;)

Personally, I would take the dog to a vet and get an X-ray and see the extent of or confirm, hip dys. This will give you an indication as to wether it can be treated or not and how much treatment is needed. Sometimes it can be conservative methods...pain killers, swimming (the dog!) and so on. Arthritis can be a factor here as the dog gets older but if caught early and treated can stop this happening.
Surgery for both hips is about 6k, so big money to spend on a dog you don't want and that your mum is already possibly regretting.

You could explain the situation to the vet. They sometimes have charity surgeries and adoption services/knowledge for people in this situation. People who do not want animals put down due to them being unwanted or affordability for treatments etc set these up. Check gumtree, I saw one for kittens though, not dogs.

Is the dog breeder registered...am guessing no but if so, report them!

Hi weg,

I'd just take the dog to the vet. You and your mum already care about him/her. And not having owned a dog before, your mum might not realise how far that affection goes.

Good on you.

That neighbour is a piece of work!

It's a clip from a movie. You should take a leaf out of Mitch's book.

And have a laugh at a living creature being booted to its death? No thanks.

To answer the OP - I would take it to the vet for assessment before making assumptions then make a decision from there.

Though even the x-rays may not be cheap. To x-ray the hips usually the animal has to be sedated so not only do you have to pay a few hundred for the x-rays but also a decent chunk of money for the sedation.

And have a laugh at a living creature being booted to its death? No thanks.

To answer the OP - I would take it to the vet for assessment before making assumptions then make a decision from there.

Though even the x-rays may not be cheap. To x-ray the hips usually the animal has to be sedated so not only do you have to pay a few hundred for the x-rays but also a decent chunk of money for the sedation.

Keese, I am not trying to upset anyone, I took it as it was meant to be taken, a joke. 'No animals were harmed in the making of the movie' was no doubt highlighted in the credits... I do not condone harming animals in any way and have pets of my own! But I did see the funny side because I knew this animal in the clip was not harmed!

An xray of a cat hip was $110. Though this was for a large rag doll so equal to size of this little dog. Our cat was under GA at the time anyway for her annual teeth clean, annual vac's and to get her full shaved for the summer. Lots of work done. all up $540 and this isn't a cheap vet.

An assessment will probably lead to an xray anyway. Hence the reason I suggested to the OP to suss out alternatives for other options for this dog to have treatment under a charitable type set up.

Last edited:
I would have no hesitation about reporting your mother's neighbour to the RSPCA.

What she is doing is illegal, it is her responsibility to take the pup to the vet for treatment. The pup could be in great pain and this could cause other issues if not treated.

I don't give a damn if she is a pensioner or not, she should not be breeding dogs if she is not prepared to manage them and meet the legal requirements, this is cruel.

MTR

Last edited:
Mr Fab
As a dog/animal lover will never see the funny side to this, find it offensive. Hope the mods delete it.

BTW, I deleted post above because I accidently posted the offensive picture when quoting.

MTR:)

Last edited:
Weg...

I'm not sure from your post whether your mum accepted the dog as hers, or she was just looking after it? It seems like she wants to return a gift rather than a purchase.

I love dogs, and have a giant sook of a great dane cross mastiff.

But that picture is hilarious - even more so because it's offensive! I actually laughed out loud.

But the reason why it's hilarious is because it's from a satirical movie. Jack Black booting an obviously fake dog off a bridge is funny!

It's also a bit horrifying, which is the point. But since it's from a movie and so obviously fake, there is no reason to get offended by it IMO.

If it were was an real dog getting kicked off a bridge, then that would be a different story.

Weg...

I'm not sure from your post whether your mum accepted the dog as hers, or she was just looking after it? It seems like she wants to return a gift rather than a purchase.

It's neither.

She just turned up with the dog out of the blue. Mum was not keen on taking it but she insisted she give it a try.

Then mum tried to give it back about 4 weeks ago but got talked into keeping it for longer although she kept insisting she could give it back anytime.

All up she's had it about 2 months and slowly getting attached but feels it never was hers to be lumbered with possible big vet bills for a problem that already existed and that she knew about.

Our concern now is if it's handed back the woman won't seek treatment.

Mum is talking to the neighbour this weekend and l will take it to the vet Monday if need be.

I know I won't be prepared to pay 3K however for a dog that is not ours (may pay up to 1.2K or thereabouts max)

See the dilemma we have??

Stop fluffing about. Give the dog back, and tell the owner to seek medical treatment for the dog or you will report them. This soft too and fro is not doing you any favours.

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

pinkboy

terribly sad story weg. the neighbour needs to be reported. backyard breeding and producing sick or unwanted animals is a vile practice.

if your mother wants a companion pet she can find an animal suited to her needs at a place and time of her choosing. preferably desexed and immunised.

keeping an animal is a big and expensive responsibility and not to be taken lightly. what happens to the animal if your mother gets sick?

the neighbour was only thinking of themselves when offloading this unfortunate animal. if your mother wants to keep the dog and is prepared to pay vet bills, fine her decision. to make an informed decision she will need to get a vets opinion re current and future needs.

sorry to hear about this but really hope the backyard breeder is stopped.

Only way to stop these irresponsible back yard breeders is by dobbing them in, hopefully stop this happening to any other pups.

The dog appears to be doing well today - weight bearing no limp and playful. ? hip has gone into place.

Mother did not see the neighbour today because the plan now is to take it to the vet on Monday for a diagnosis and quote.

I will tell the vet we are looking after it for someone and that this person probably does not have the funds to have it treated.

I will then see this woman myself and give her the rundown and put her in a position where she must take some responsibility. Will also give her a talk about the responsibilities of pet ownership/breeding.

We don't want to just hand it back and wipe our hand of it.

If the cost isn't ridiculous and we end up paying for the treatment then I'm prepared to take this dog and keep it between my home and mums (she is 84 and recently had some health issues which is one of the main reasons for being hesitant of taking it).

In this scenario I would not let her have the benefit of selling it for profit when we've had to wear the cost.

Back