what would you do?

Stop fluffing about. Give the dog back, and tell the owner to seek medical treatment for the dog or you will report them. This soft too and fro is not doing you any favours.

pinkboy

I'm thinking this little dog would have just been knocked on the head and thrown in the garbage if Wegs mum hadn't of accepted the pup. The backyard sometime dog breeder probably thought it was better to give the pup away for free than to have to kill it? There's no way lots of money would ever be spent on vet bills fixing it.

It don't mean to sound cruel, but if the pup is in pain and not enjoying life, then knocking it on the head would be an option. It might cost thousands of dollars to fix. If the dog is enjoying life, then let it live and keep Wegs mum company. It is just a dog. It is now alive when in most other instances would have been killed.

See ya's.

Only way to stop these irresponsible back yard breeders is by dobbing them in, hopefully stop this happening to any other pups.

Weg said,

My mother's pensioner neighbour does some occasional backyard dog breeding, her last litter being about a year ago. .

Last litter a year ago? Hardly the cruel professional dog breeder making a living from it. As I said above, the puppy would have been knocked on the head. It's now alive and keeping an elderly lady company.

If this elderly pensioner sometime dog breeder was reported what would happen? There wouldn't be the pens of bitches locked up as breeding machines? There wouldn't be pens of pups waiting to go to a pet shop? It would be a waste of time for all concerned. The cops or whoever that called in to inspect the place wouldn't be there for a few minutes, they'd walk out, have a laugh and Weg or whoever reported them would be regarded as a nuisance for a silly complaint?

See ya's.

Last edited:
Weg said,

Last litter a year ago? Hardly the cruel professional dog breeder making a living from it. As I said above, the puppy would have been knocked on the head. It's now alive and keeping an elderly lady company.

If this elderly pensioner was reported what would happen? There wouldn't be the pens of bitches locked up as breeding machines? There wouldn't be pens of pups waiting to go to a vets shop? It would be a waste of time for all concerned. The cops or whoever that called in to inspect the place wouldn't be there for a few minutes and Weg or whoever reported them would be regarded as a nuisance for a silly complaint?

See ya's.

I've been to her house a handful of times over the years and only ever saw that one litter but mum says she has seen at least one other, so very much an occasional breeder.

She's a reasonably decent person - even if i am disappointed with her for not doing the right thing and passing on the problem - but for that reason would not report her, and in fact will be taking care in the way i put this to the vet.

Also, the 2 dogs that she normally keeps are well looked after and loved - clean, well fed and housed, etc.

Our dog had knee reconstruction surgery about 2 years ago - not sure if it is comparable surgery, however ours was in the vicinity of $3500. The dog was only in pain for a short time and was almost back to new within about 2 months.

The vet did mention that sometimes the other leg goes as well because the dog compensates.

The vet did mention that sometimes the other leg goes as well because the dog compensates.

The vet would have said that in case you got the idea that amputation was an option :p.

So what happens to pets that require such expensive surgery and people can't afford it?

I'm sure a lot of people couldn't afford a fraction of the 3.5K. Do vets put these pets down??

Yes.
A vet would put any pet down if asked to do so by the owner.
Maybe you should just see the vet first before you start thinking like that?

Yes.
A vet would put any pet down if asked to do so by the owner.
Maybe you should just see the vet first before you start thinking like that?

I was thinking more about the hundreds of thousands of people with pets who don't have any savings.

And I wondered if a vet would put down a pet for a minor condition because someone couldn't pay a small amount like say under $1000.

And I wondered if a vet would put down a pet for a minor condition because someone couldn't pay a small amount like say under $1000.
If only I could classify under $1,000 as a small amount. :eek:

One of my dog's has had surgery twice already to have lumps/cysts that have opened up removed, each about $750. We have decided that if it happens again, the fee will be $100 for a one-way ticket to sleepy land. He is a loved family pet, but in the end he is a dog and an economic decision needs to be made. The vet will do it because they understand that dogs are animals.

I'm sure there are many, many people that think the same as me. I've got enough human children to look after, without treating my dogs like humans too.

BR

I was thinking more about the hundreds of thousands of people with pets who don't have any savings.

A dog is just a domesticated animal. All domesticated animals are alive as they serve a purpose for a human, and so have a dollar value. I'm a grain grower, but also run some cattle. If a cow has a calf that has a serious problem, there is no decision to be made. The calf is only worth $100 if it's a normal calf, but it's not, so it's worthless. It gets a $1 bullet in the brain. No different for a dog. I'm guessing this little puppy might have been worth $400 or a bit more if it was perfect. It wasn't. It was born deformed. It was worth nothing and would have been disposed of. You and your mum saved it's life by taking it in.

This puppy would get put down without debate by a vet. It would get knocked on the head if given back to the pensioner lady.

See ya's.

And have a laugh at a living creature being booted to its death? No thanks.

n.

He actually survived being booted off the bridge by swimming to safety, and later saved two people from being eaten by giant bears. And that was after eating a whole wheel of cheese.

Last few pet shops I've walked into with the kids to have a look around have been surprisingly void of pet's

A lot of fish and lots of pet supplies, but that's it :confused:

Yeah I know what you mean. Out here in the country, I've noticed that the vets allow people to have accounts which they pay off regularly as they can. A bit unfair to call these people bogans then, isn't it?

In the city, vets don't work that way so much anymore. Not sure what people do - maybe when they really love the animal, they borrow. I don't know. I've seen people paying off accounts bit by bit but I've also heard of people shooting the dog 'cause they can't feed it properly etc.

I'd rather see us donating money to vets and pounds anonymously for these people in preference to donating to cafes for coffee.

I've always been a big softie with animals and looks like quite a few SSers are too. When I was young, there were a few people around who would spend money on operations etc - even our family did it when the dog got run over. But a lot of the older people thought we were cookoo.

Seems most people do what they can these days.

Different to cows, sheep even horses. These animals are part of the family and sometimes our best friends and we feel protective of them.

Noticing that even some of the tough farmers are a lot softer than they let on, too. ;)

Things have definitely changed.

A lot of fish and lots of pet supplies, but that's it :confused:
More and more aren't keeping dogs and cats anymore. Our local pet shop has partnered with the RSPCA and does an 'adoption drive' every few months, where the shelter brings in animals that need re-homing. I think this option is a great win/win. No claims of cruelty against the pet shop, less work for the pet shop to manage the animals, and more animals finding homes.

BR

This puppy would get put down without debate by a vet. It would get knocked on the head if given back to the pensioner lady.

See ya's.

One reason I question what vets do is because we once did take the option of putting a cat down and felt very much like the vet was a little disgusted with our decision - in that case it was not just cost but the poor long term prognosis and continuing care it would have required after being treated.

It made me think vets don't like to do this but I could have misread him.

I'm happy to take it to the vet at my expense to have this diagnosed and quoted and then go from there.

My big concern with giving the dog back would not be with her putting it down but rather she wouldn't be putting it down or treating it.

More history has come to light today which makes me suspect the most likely scenario would be her opening the gate and letting it wonder off during an unwell state so someone else foots the bill for having it put down.

Weg, it is wonderful that you and your mum are able to look after the dog for so long and go out of your way to find out why the dog is lame. The kindest people are the ones that look after animals whether they are owned or not :)

Getting her to the vet for a diagnosis is the first step. As a vet, I have seen very few shih-tzu with hip dysplaysia. Cruciate ligament tears or patellar luxation is more common, and an x-ray under general anesthetic is the best way to find out. Depending on what it is, there could be more options than surgery or euthanasia. I find that acupuncture is wonderful for managing many lameness issues, as well as pain meds, glucosamine, cartrophen, massage. For a small dog with cruciate problems I can often get away with acupuncture and avoid surgery altogether. If treating the lameness turns out to be too expensive, the vet may know of charities/pet rescue groups who can help.
I personally refuse to euthanise an animal unless it is a terminal illness, and we've exhausted all reasonable means of palliative care, rehoming options, etc.

One thing to consider is that legally a registered owner will need to give consent for anesthetics. Most vet practices don't really enforce it, but might give the owner a call before the procedure.

All the best for looking after this little dog. Hope she feels more comfortable soon!

Yen

Reactions: weg
Look at this face (our Shitz Tsu), who can say no to her
Yes that is right, she is in a hoodie

Take the pup to the vet and have it fixed no matter the cost.

Attachments

• hdImg_d56828626fbe525b4c0cd86aa6d3ae36.jpg
    hdImg_d56828626fbe525b4c0cd86aa6d3ae36.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 50
Back