what would you do?

I'm a bit of a softie when it comes to animals ... our dog was a 10wk old rescue pet and it wasn't until a few weeks later we realised he was deaf.

The vet confirmed his eardrums are badly deformed (he can seem to hear distant sirens) - and that this is quite common Border Collies (Spot is a Boder/Kelpie/Retriever cross).

I was surprised as have never heard of a deaf Border - but apparently the breeders test them soon after birth and the deaf ones get the chop.

Stunned me. Why?

The rescue people did offer to take Spot back, but he wouldn't be able to be rehomed (being deaf) so would be put down - we didn't get him to be a working dog - he understand basic home made sign language - and he is the happiest, most loving, adoring dog an owner could ever want ... to think of him being killed just because of a birth deformity is devastating.

I guess the crux of what I'm saying is ... get the dog tested and let us know what needs to be done. It's not the dogs fault.

We had a golden retriever for 3 years, before he was even 1 year old we had to spend $10 000 on him due to a congenital liver defect. Over the next 2 years we probably spent another $5000 on him until he passed away about a week ago. He was a good dog and I would spend the money again in a heart beat.

Cruciate ligament tears or patellar luxation is more common, and an x-ray under general anesthetic is the best way to find out. Depending on what it is, there could be more options than surgery or euthanasia. I find that acupuncture is wonderful for managing many lameness issues, as well as pain meds, glucosamine, cartrophen, massage. For a small dog with cruciate problems I can often get away with acupuncture and avoid surgery altogether.

Thanks Yen. Based on the examination and history the vet is 99% sure it is a mild case of patellar luxation so surgery is a few years away if at all.

Back