Granite Kitchens 4 Price of Laminate

we know there's 1 company in Adelaide that do Granite kitchens (benchtops) and 2Pak cupboards for the price of laminate (actually a couple of grand cheaper!) through importing them from China but they aren't of the best quality.

We got quotes and your average kitchen worked out to be about $5Kish (they used to be $2500 last year but realised they weren't making alot of money and doubled their prices).

Does anyone know of other companies that do a similar thing? We'd like to see the quality of other companies that get their kitchens from China....in Adelaide preferably!

Hi kimanand

They do that in Perth also. Tho I have heard they do not met australian standards in regards to the chemicals used in the MDF. like ? how do you spell it. fermaldahide??

anyway check them out 1st.

There are a lot of places where you can find nice looking kitchens with granite benchtops. If you look, you should be able to find some auctions nearby that have new kitchens. These will most probably exactly what you are looking for.

Actually, they have done our kitchen and they source their products from the same place as other well known places! ;) And they are brilliant, so not sure where you got your info from; probably their competitor!

A builder has checked the quality on someone else's kitchen and was fuming he paid so much for getting another company to do them.

CAA Kitchens on Magill Road. Their prices have been the same for around 12 months now, which was when they started.

I think the only thing wrong with their kitchens is they have the granite in sections which means every 1.3m (or thereabouts coz i can't remember the exact figure) there's a join. So depending on how long your bench is you may see 2 or 3 joins. The 2PaK cupboards i can't see anything wrong with but just the joinery that i was concerned with.

Also i think they've had issues with delivering when promised. Our cousin who works for them said they promise 6 weeks and some people are still waiting 15 weeks later.....i can see this a bit risky if we are constructing and can't complete homes because kitchens have been delayed. We thought about ordering super early but apparently they can't measure up the kitchen just based on Builders plans...they need he actual room because the house and plans can differ a little in dimensions and kitchens need to be exact.

My aunty got a kitchen from them when they first opened for $2500 (granite + 2Pak!). The owner said they weren't making any profit so their prices have since been adjusted but still, even with the price hike its still damn cheap for a granite kitchen!

So i'm guessing their the only ones in Adelaide that do it for around that price?

Ok, fair enough Kimand! :p Nothing like local knowledge.

Our kitchen was ordered in late November and installed late January - within 8 weeks and which included the Christmas period. I think maybe there were some delays in the very early days, but have been sorted now. I am just checking the lengths of the granite - we have 1 join in a slab of granite that is 4 metres long - so that is perfectly acceptable to me. I have posted a picture below! It looks a little bumpy around the tile edge but that is because it has been pixellated when I had to reduce the image size so I could post it here (had to be under 100kbs and the original picture was a couple of megs! so quality suffers)

I hunted and hunted looking for cheaper options, and a similar set up with HN was going to cost around $15k for granite plus all the extras. Bunnings - didnt price the granite, but laminate was going to be around $10k. Ikea have similar price cabinets but don't have granite. I reckon I saved around $10,000 - I am happy with that!

If you are constructing, maybe you could order it well in advance of the time you need it (3 months) so that it arrives, and then hold off the installation? OK, I see your comment about that. Well, our house is an old one, and the plans they had prepared had some problems with them in terms of fit and logistics. The installer used plinths etc to move a couple of cupboards so that the doors would open out to their full extent - and this was not covered on the plans they drew up but done on the spot. I am thinking builder's plans would actually be more accurate. They really only need the walls anyway, and the tap fittings and drains etc would be very obvious at an early stage of building.

Attachments

• somersoftuse.jpg
    somersoftuse.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 762
With any thing coming out of china please check that they are using E1 board ( green board not blue board) Blue board contains formaldehyde in the glue and if it gets wet it gives of formaldehyde fumes which are carcinogenic. Green board is obviously more expensive than blue board.

There are standards for this but htey are not well policed. You need to see the saftey certificates that are issued. IF they are in Chinese it is likely they do not comply to the E1 standard, if they are in english you can check for your self.

4m with 1 join...thats pretty good. The salesgirl told us 1.2m slabs but then again, we may have misunderstood :confused:

Late november...thats fairly recent so i think i'm reconsidering now and might be able to maybe call in a few favours from Cousin to make sure he keeps on top of our order :D

thanks for the pic Pushka...we were looking at those colours as well...I can't believe the prices of Bunnings/Mitre 10/Ikea for laminate as well. Definitely a huge margin in this industry.

thanks for the pic again :)

I have posted a picture below! It looks a little bumpy around the tile edge but that is because it has been pixellated when I had to reduce the image size so I could post it here (had to be under 100kbs and the original picture was a couple of megs! so quality suffers)
Main reason why its always better to upload your photos into the gallery and insert them into your post from there.

Kitchen looks lovely though! :)

do CAA kitchesn still exist?

Hi,

Does anyone know if CAA kitchens still exist?

I looked up their telephone numbers in white pages & yellow pages tried calling the Magill Rd Norwood and the Athol Park telephone numbers - but the numbers have been disconnected.

Have they moved? or closed down?

Does anyone know of any other 'cheap' kitchen places in Adelaide.

CAA are still trading at the Athol Park address. I'm not sure what the new no. is but they are apparently trading under a different name. Why ???

Shop front still advertising CAA. You may have to drive there yourself to get in contact with them. I did note they were closed on Wednesdays.

I use CAA Kitchens. I got a nice 2 pack kitchen with solid black granite benchtop (inc Breakfast bar) and one overhead cupboard for around $3,200, for a recent reno project. I was very happy with the deal.
They still operate out of the Hanson Rd premises (219 Hanson Rd, Athol Park), but the best wat to contact them is to call the owner (Sue) on her mobile: 0430 068 699.
Anyone who has done business in Asia will appreciate that these guys do business the Asian way and work on Asian time. I'm part Asian, so I can say that without being Racist :)
They have a particular way of doing business and that will never change. They don't need to change as it works just fine for them.
I will use them again, for sure and will continue to recommend them.

caa kitchens

thank you for your help everyone.

I have now ordered a kitchen from CAA Kitchens (2 pak cupboards with black granite benchtop)
Price is $5,000 including installation - will let you know how it goes.
(Bunnings quoted around $10K for gloss cupboards with a laminate top)

thank you for your help everyone.

I have now ordered a kitchen from CAA Kitchens (2 pak cupboards with black granite benchtop)
Price is $5,000 including installation - will let you know how it goes.
(Bunnings quoted around $10K for gloss cupboards with a laminate top)

Cool. Let us know how it goes.

a good company for granite or stone benchtops in melbourne or nsw is Australia Stone

i worked for them whilst studying to be a building designer

very good director, fair and honest

they are in thomastown, victoria and newcastle, nsw

Back