Green in the Perth market

Slabs have been poured more than a coupla weeks ago, what an absolute pleasure it is to see a project starting up for real in the field.:cool:

Do some of you actually control by yourself with a measuring tape or use the services of a surveyor the total surface/volume of the slab?
After all a builder could actually decide not to pour 5-10sqm total and pocket the difference. Or even build smaller houses than design :eek:

On another note I need to get quotes for the common fencing in order to try to claim half of the install cost to the neighbors.
What sort of fencing do you normally use?
Colorbond surfmist 1.8m high?

Slabs have been poured more than a coupla weeks ago, what an absolute pleasure it is to see a project starting up for real in the field.:cool:

Do some of you actually control by yourself with a measuring tape or use the services of a surveyor the total surface/volume of the slab?
After all a builder could actually decide not to pour 5-10sqm total and pocket the difference. Or even build smaller houses than design :eek:

On another note I need to get quotes for the common fencing in order to try to claim half of the install cost to the neighbors.

Measure the overall width both ways of the slab (not footings), add 140mm and it should be ballpark (say withing 20-30mm) of overall width of the house each way. A surveryor normally sets 4 slab points and any parapets for the grano worker anyway.

Colorbond classic cream is my preferred. Hides scratches and mess a bit better IMO.

I measure sometimes but usually wait for walls to start.

You may find it difficult getting half the cost of the fencing from the neighbours. If you do they only have to pay half of whatever is the cheapest - like super66.

Colourbond classic cream or evening shade is pretty good.

Thanks boeman & WM.

I might go with 1.8m colorbond classic cream, I like it.

I plan to send them letters to claim half the cost so I downloaded the official template however I find it a bit rough?
Not sure the neighbors are going to like the court threat.
RE: Erection of a dividing fence on the boundary line

Dear Neighbour,

I am writing to advise that I propose to erect a dividing fence on the boundary line between our properties at x & x.
The fence I wish to erect is a (specify here the description of the fence, ie. type, length, height, material and the boundary line to be fenced).
I have obtained quotes (copies attached) and propose to accept the quote from (fencing company - eg. ABC Fencing Company) for (amount - eg. $400).
Your share of the dividing fence will be (half of the cost - eg. $200) which is half the cost of a sufficient fence according to the local government laws in the area.
Please let me know within 21 days if you agree or disagree with this proposal.
If you would like to discuss this with me I can be contacted on telephone number x or by email at x
If within 21 days we cannot reach agreement or you do not respond, the Dividing Fences Act 1961 provides for the matter to be determined in the Magistrates Court.

Any good fencing contractors you wouldn't mind recommending?

Thanks boeman & WM.

I plan to send them letters to claim half the cost so I downloaded the official template however I find it a bit rough?

Maybe threatening them with court action is not a good first impression. It certainly wouldnt work with me.

http://aafencing.com.au/ always seem to be the cheapest for me.

Krom Fencing are magnificent. Done all the fencing for me and I have recommended to people at other builders. Licenced for asbestos removal at reasonable pricing too. Very nice family business as well.

Thanks boeman & WM.

I'm assuming you discussed all the fencing with them when you took it down and they agreed to it so I'd use the letter but maybe take off the last line.

If you only asked permission to remove the asbestos fence and didn't discuss them paying for half the replacement I think you'll be listening to a lot of silence.

I'm on the other end of a fencing 'dialogue' at the moment where my neighbour wants a new fence and I don't. The fence is fine on my side but really low on their side as they are much higher. I have told him he can go buy a new fence and put it on his side but I'm not paying :)

I plan to get rid of the fence when I develop and will happily pay for the whole bloody thing then as I usually do in a development but at the moment the fence is fine.

Good luck. If its not damaged or in disrepair then if they dont want to pay for half then you will loose. Or its negotiable.

One of my neighbours wanted to replace one boundary so i offered to pay the asbestos removal ( as it was deductible to me) and he paid for the fence.

Also i negotiated to pay for one boundary in return for access through their property to build and to put the temp fencing.

Try your luck, without the court threat and see what you can come up with.

If you want a contractor that will do colourbond for $65m and removal $10m then pm me.

So far I have:
-a tradie offering $80/m GST included.
- AAFencing and Krom are $1 different and $177 more than the tradie.
They offer a 10 year warranty though I am not sure about the tradie.

12-01-2015 07:01 PM
HD_ACE
If you want a contractor that will do colourbond for $65m and removal $10m then pm me.
That's $1062 lower than the tradie, I find it hard to believe.
Does he have a 10 year warranty?

Timber is going up.
Is it best to use a building inspector at handover or just before the last progress claim? Just before the last claim I would still have some leverage to use if something is wrong.
I suppose it would be good to get an inspector look at the structures while they are visible? At handover it's all hidden.

If you do, then use HousInspect and not Archicentre. Had a bad expereience with them (not very knowledgeable). Most people at Archicentre are ex architects and know little about structural problems and aus standards (or maybe it was just my inspector)

Timber is going up.
Is it best to use a building inspector at handover or just before the last progress claim? Just before the last claim I would still have some leverage to use if something is wrong.
I suppose it would be good to get an inspector look at the structures while they are visible? At handover it's all hidden.

Would be interested to find out when the concrete was poured date?? and when you expect handover?? I am doing some comparisons, as I think my builder took too long. All up from concrete pour to handover 9 months 1 week, we had the Xmas break during this time. However a similar size project in same area was completed in 7 months, also smallish builder.

MTR:)

Timber is going up.

Whoever you use, make sure they are a Registered Building Practitioner.

To get this certification you need 7 years minimum supervising or carrying out work on site and a diploma in building and construction (or 5 years supervising and sit 3 exams, or a registered architect).

Pretty good sign that the inspector has a fair idea.

@MTR - Did you start prior to or during winter? I have a log of every job I have ever done that I keep. Pretty good correlation between starting in spring and finishing on time since you can get to roof cover prior to winter and take the weather factor out of the job (even with a 4 week xmas break).

Thanks Tano and boeman for the tips.
MTR slabs were poured week 51 last year.
I will organize an inspection before handover claim.

Whoever you use, make sure they are a Registered Building Practitioner.

To get this certification you need 7 years minimum supervising or carrying out work on site and a diploma in building and construction (or 5 years supervising and sit 3 exams, or a registered architect).

Pretty good sign that the inspector has a fair idea.

@MTR - Did you start prior to or during winter? I have a log of every job I have ever done that I keep. Pretty good correlation between starting in spring and finishing on time since you can get to roof cover prior to winter and take the weather factor out of the job (even with a 4 week xmas break).

Started in winter - May last year and then we had Xmas a killer, handover this Tuesday.

Back