Green in the Perth market

Linda
that really stinks.
What an amazing buy, you are very good at finding some great deals, shame this one fell through the cracks.

CHeers
MTR

Last edited:
I think I've missed out on some great buys due to not agreeing to take on existing tenants and PM's that are also selling agents. Will greatly reconsider if I purchase any more properties in future!

Perhaps Armadale, Kelmscott, Gosnells, Medina... cheaper areas.

Agent tells me you can pick up a 5 unit site in Armadale for $400-450K, I am not looking at this market so have no idea. However, you can purchase in $300s in Medina, house on large block over 900sqm duplex site, and build at rear.

Cheers
MTR

Why don't these $300's in Medina interest you if you can build at the rear?

Is the product at the rear not in demand?

Or is the area just very dodgy and not your cup of tea.

Sounds like easy equity?

Why don't these $300's in Medina interest you if you can build at the rear?

Is the product at the rear not in demand?

Or is the area just very dodgy and not your cup of tea.

Sounds like easy equity?

Not against anything like this at all. I think anyone starting off doing any add value exercise is way ahead of the crowd, especially when most buy and hold, a very slow, long process unless you get the timing right

However I make more money if I build 3 unit/4 unit sites.

Also, DH in the process of getting his builders licence and therefore it makes sense to just continue with all new product, margins will be much better.

That's interesting. I had an offer on this property for $350,000. agent called and said vendor wanted $355,000. I said no. Rang back within 2 or 3 minutes and agreed to go up $5,000. Agent said it just sold to someone else. Says here it sold for $350,000. ????? Nasty!
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-beechboro-108883166

i have been mucked around by that agent before. Was a good deal but didnt even get a look in because of it.

cheers

Hello fellas,

Newly registered on this board which I've been looking for a coupla weeks I would like to introduce myself and get as much feedback as I can from fellow wise Perth investors on my situation.

I'm 27 and very keen to start a port-folio in Perth.
I'm lucky enough to have made great savings over the past 3 years working in the resources industry consisting of a bit less than 180k at this stage (I really don't intend to show off, it's purely to give you a better picture of my financial situation).
Thing is: "lot of cash, no assets".
Hence I'm now on the perfect first investment property hunt.

From what I can gather so far from the internet (somersoft), meeting with pros (momentum wealth consultant and financial advisor from my company), one aggressive strategy could be:
- Get 1 or 2 big blocks (750+sqm) of old state estate within 15km from CBD.
- Develop one (in building 3 units) when able and keep rents coming for the 2nd one.
- Repeat when able for the second big block.
Are Balga, Kewdale, Inaloo good suburbs to start with?
Am I better off buying one blue chip property close to CBD instead of looking at developing risky options in the above suburbs?
Do you guys estimate that it would be beneficial to fix the mortgage rate for the first say 3 years at the moment?
Big question is: what would you do if you were in my situation?
I'd be happy to hear from ya as I feel slightly reluctant to give 20k to a buyer's agent!
Cheers.

Jaylo
Given where you are at I wouldnt be going down the path of a development just yet.
Have a read of my thread (life - its not all beer and skittles) where I detail some of the potential issues with even a fairly small development.
Given your in-experiance in property investing, I think a development is just a bit too much risk.
Preserving your capital is paramount.

I would consider looking at cash flow +ve properties - or even a house purchase with the possibility of splitting the title. Or even a buy-reno-hold.
Something small and light to begin with.

Just my thoughts - sorry - I had missed this thread previously, and see WM suggested reading her threads as well as mine - maybe you already have.

Blacky

i have been mucked around by that agent before. Was a good deal but didnt even get a look in because of it.

cheers
That doesn't surprise me.

What's wrong with both?
I had good friends on high incomes living in a hotel in the city for months as they relocated and couldn't secure a rental property who were interested in renting it. It was also about $50/wk under-rented at the time. As I was living interstate it would have been easier to self-manage with people I know too.

Last edited:

cheers

Some agents can be real scum bags that is for sure, I got offered a property because someone was one day late with their finance, dirty tactics, nothing illegal about this, but the only reason for this was because they wanted to sell one of my properties and he was dangling the carrot.

Been on both sides of the fence, hard to find one who has integrity.

That's interesting. I had an offer on this property for $350,000. agent called and said vendor wanted $355,000. I said no. Rang back within 2 or 3 minutes and agreed to go up $5,000. Agent said it just sold to someone else. Says here it sold for $350,000. ????? Nasty!
Is that really wrong?
May be the agent had two 350K offers including yours. Then he was trying to push both to 355K but both didn't agree.
As an experienced investor, you would have had more 'conditions'. So from the RE agent's eyes (or to the vendor), the other party was a better (easier) buyer.

Some agents can be real scum bags that is for sure, I got offered a property because someone was one day late with their finance, dirty tactics, nothing illegal about this, but the only reason for this was because they wanted to sell one of my properties and he was dangling the carrot.

Been on both sides of the fence, hard to find one who has integrity.

Well at the end of the day they are there to make money so these days i dont expect anything less. But when it effects me it still really p***es me off.

But hey all part of the fun ;)

Cheers

Well at the end of the day they are there to make money so these days i dont expect anything less. But when it effects me it still really p***es me off.

But hey all part of the fun ;)

Cheers

As I mentioned, can also work the other way, I have now secured 3 properties way under market value in a booming market.

The agent in question is not lazy, however he is not keeping up with the market, does not understand development potential and not aggressive when it comes to marketing a property ie going to auction, expressions of interest, no prior viewings etc. Obviously if he was aggressive he would achieve best outcome for his seller, especially if it has development potential.

His buyers trust and like him so he is working for me.... noice:)

Most agents who I buy from would never be agents I'd go to to sell something.

Agreed, you would be cutting your nose, despite your face.

The problem I see though, is the relationship will be short lived, at the moment I source some brilliant buys, however when I want to sell and use another agent he will give me the royal flick.

Perhaps Armadale, Kelmscott, Gosnells, Medina... cheaper areas.

Agent tells me you can pick up a 5 unit site in Armadale for $400-450K, I am not looking at this market so have no idea. However, you can purchase in $300s in Medina, house on large block over 900sqm duplex site, and build at rear.

Cheers
MTR

Hi MTR,

What agent are you referring to, a RE agent or Buyers?

Do you reckon I can get the FHOG of 10k for new dwelling if I live for 6 months in one of the newly built unit in a triplex for instance?

Jaylo
I think you need to live in the property for 12 months, but then you get creative I guess.

Development sites are now as scarce as hens teeth with prices continuing to rise, when you originally posted is was difficult to source, now its near impossible.

Are you still looking at developing? If so, have you sourced a property??

Cheers
MTR

Apparently I wouldn't get FHOG following that scenario, reasons were not clear to me on the phone though (that Irish accent!), I just understood the subdivision duties were not high enough to get compensation on it compared to stamp duty.
WA is 6 months as far as I know.

MTR, offered a couple of sites but not successful, always higher and they don't tell by how much obviously.
I reckon Balga goes 510-520 atm.
I want a bloody triplex!

Back