Green in the Perth market

Apparently I wouldn't get FHOG following that scenario, reasons were not clear to me on the phone though (that Irish accent!), I just understood the subdivision duties were not high enough to get compensation on it compared to stamp duty.
WA is 6 months as far as I know.

MTR, offered a couple of sites but not successful, always higher and they don't tell by how much obviously.
I reckon Balga goes 510-520 atm.
I want a bloody triplex!

Contact this group, they get many listings that don't hit the market, I think its Steve? he will place you on his data base and text as soon as one is listed. I generally get 1 per week.
http://www.kprealty.com.au/default.aspx

Hi,

Managed to get a hold of a triplex site, getting my finance done at the moment.
House currently tenanted but is in poor condition, tenant willing to stay.
I definitely want to keep it tenanted till I knock it down but I need to get myself covered in case something goes wrong (possibly termite activity).
I plan to get a building inspection, get a repairman to fix things up a bit for approx. a grand, decrease rent 20 $/week and get a 6 month lease extension?
Would it be acceptable?

Cheers

J

She's a mum of 4 and rent is overpriced for current house. Also I vacate the house in 6 months, just thought I'd make a gesture.

[Q OTE=jaylo;1149848]Hi,

Managed to get a hold of a triplex site

J[/QUOTE]

Hi J can you share which suburb you bought and the price range.

Hi AAArun,

Balga 499k.

In regards to the rental agreement I will have to modify current one I suppose in order to cover myself in case something goes wrong (including a clause similar to the "as is" one if that exists), if I do a building inspection and a quick fix hopefully that should be enough.
If somebody has a template feel free to share.

Cheers.

Just a observation last year similar size blocks were selling for $380 in balga that's a $40000 price rise per unit only on the land cost on a triplex site. Thats good return holding land for a year.

Yes I know, previous owner bought it 200-250k 10 years ago.
Balga has gone out of control lately. Don't think triplex sites will go much higher than they are now since units prices don't seem to go much higher these days but I don't have a crystal ball.
Don't think though it's beneficial for me to landbank too much given exit cost GST CGT.

Yes I know, previous owner bought it 200-250k 10 years ago.
Balga has gone out of control lately. Don't think triplex sites will go much higher than they are now since units prices don't seem to go much higher these days but I don't have a crystal ball.
Don't think though it's beneficial for me to landbank too much given exit cost GST CGT.

So why did you buy the site then?

Well at least I suppose I can get a valuation once I get my DA approved but that should only leave me 6 months max to hold hopefully.
Holding for more than that maybe, I know someone who will be looking to buy there pretty soon for a Singaporean investor with some big do's.
That also raises the question of whether balga will keep his R40 in the near future or go down to R20 because of too much infill but from what I got from council and SS it's unlikely to be happening in the next 5 years (go against WAPC directions).
What are the advantages of holding for say 3 years and then build AAArun?
Lowering the LVR on the land component so I get better finance for the construction loan?
Borrow against equity?

You probably would need to factor slightly more time as you will be dealing with City of Stirling for a DA.
As a overall urban development strategy for Perth metro I don't think the zoning will be revoked to R20. For a detailed insight read this.
http://www.planning.wa.gov.au/publications/826.asp
If by doing nothing your land appreciates (even moderately) while getting some income in form of exiting rental, you have a opportunity to sus out the what kind of demand exists, now its for 3 villas, in 3 years time it could be 6 apartment, who knows. While having a NG property (not sure about the exact sums in your case) to lower your current taxes. You also have the obvious lower LVR scenario working in the background. By holding it would also lower your exposure to the current market which I think is hot and a lot more riskier in Balga. I am being a bit conservative.

That's fair enough.
Could you please clarify your last sentence re "lower my exposure"?
Do you mean I won't get tenants if I build 3 units in the next year given oversupply and higher vacancy rate?

Ok thanks.
Could you please also precise how the market is riskier in Balga?
Are you talking only oversupply there or you have something else in mind?

Ok thanks.
Could you please also precise how the market is riskier in Balga?
Are you talking only oversupply there or you have something else in mind?

probably the price breakout due to the concentrated developer interest in that suburb

Also, for a first project, a development is a big call. Have you considered buying a reasonable house on 800sqm block, splitting the block, selling off the back to fund the loan and reno on the front. You may then be able to get in closer to the city. This also isn't as big a challenge for your first project, and given that you work full-time, how are you going to supervise a big development even if you have a builder take care of the lot for you. You will still be called away to make decisions which will cut into your work hours.

Not sure if this is a decent strategy, it just doesn't seem quite as risky for your first time, and you will learn along the way, make contacts with trades etc, and make your mistakes on something not as big.

Of course, the numbers have to stack up ... and that's what I am having trouble doing - finding something that will show a profit after all is said and done.

This is the strategy I'm considering! To subdivide and sell the back vacant lot. Using the profit to offset the front property so as to increase rental yield. Other idea would be to sell the whole block off (property and the vacant land)

I'm just waiting on my loan application to go through before I can move on this. Hopefully just 2 more weeks

Last edited:
This is the strategy I'm considering! To subdivide and sell the back vacant lot. Using the profit to offset the front property so as to increase rental yield. Other idea would be to sell the whole block off (property and the vacant land)

I'm just waiting on my loan application to go through before I can move on this. Hopefully just 2 more weeks

it's generally a good strategy and one ive done a fair few times in maylands, morley etc but unfortunately atm prices are just too high for the vast majority of product like that.

Back