has anyone actually succeeded in getting rid of possums?

Didn't get rid of the little buggers but got a visit from the RSPCA.

Their attitude is that you should feed them it seems. Anything else is cruel.

Yep, easy.
Identify point of entry (if it's a brushy you will see a stain where they have a greasy gland on their chest that leaves a tell tale mark), then watch this spot through dusk & after the little bugger has gone out lookin' for sheila's for the night "lock him out".
Mine was actually gaining entry by lifting a roof tile in a valley where the mortar had gone to god.
After having already cleaned old mud out during the day, I made up a bucket of mortar & went up onto the roof & re-pointed the valley using a flood light to see what I was doing. Next morning poss comes home with a smile on his face but found himslef "locked out". No issue with RSPCA or vets to have put down, he probably just went & moved into the neighbours house.

There's a nice recipe for possum curry at:
http://www.paracombewines.com/recipes/possumcurry_cl.php

edit:
W.I.R.E.S. (Wildlife Information and Rescue Service) offers the following tips -

* provide an alternative home (a possum box attached to a tree at least 4m above the ground to keep it safe from dogs and cats)
* climb into your roof, remove the possum's nest and place it in the possum box (best done at night when the possum is not there)
* place a small piece of fruit in the possum box to encourage the animal to investigate
* trim away any branches near the house that might give the possum access to the roof
* place a light in the roof cavity and leave it on for a few days - the light should keep the possum away
* block off any holes in the roof to ensure the possum doesn't return (make absolutely sure there are no possums in the roof before you do this!).

thanks for all hints

they gain entry through a row of trees or even one tree not so close from the neighbours.

a few years back we actually asked the neighbours if they could cut all those trees down and they did except one that wasnt so close. overnight that one lost all its branches as the possums would catapult themselves up from it.

i've also seen them come through allsorts of directions and roof pitches from fences. the neighbour had put some barbed wire on some fencing . maybe i have to have that put in more places.

it just seems there is so much
block roof
catch and relocate
barbed wire on fencing possibly,
neighbours need to cut down trees as their property is close to our house

they find so many ways to get on the roof.

plus a nice fruit tree that we dont want to cut down they use also

I regularly prune any tree branches (including neighbours) that are within 1.5-2 metres of the roof (double story house though), and a bit more if they are taller than the house. Seems to work well enough that they dont annoy us anymore. There are probably enough other roofs that are easier to get to than ours now...
The next was going to be installing one of those possum boxes not too far from the house, the theory is that being territorial if one takes over the possum box then others will keep their distance.

There is no point get a possum "professionally" removed from the roof and take no other measures, as they have to release back into the same area!

As an aside,
I had a problem with bats and a possums fighting over palm tree fruits, and keeping us awake all night! I now also prune the palm trees flower stalks...no more fruit, no more noise ;D.

Our possums pop in via the trees but mostly climb up the power cable to the house. It comes in just near our bedroom and they are quite noisy.

I actually like the possums in the roof. My only concern is the electricity cables, but I believe that the rats up there are more of a concern. They have already chewed through and disabled one light.

I think I will buy one of those electric rat zappers because I don't want to harm the possums, but the rats scratching about in the ceiling give me the creeps.

thnx for all helpful info

The possums are noisy they thump along tge ceiling and wake us up
and wake up a son who is studying and doing alot of exams .

possums or rats have also disabled one light

their urine in the past stained a ceiling and made that stain mouldy .

They fine other ways of getting up and getting in but I will keep trying perhaps .

Others told me that leaving lights on didn't keep them away but I know I've read to do that also.

Alot to do if I attempt this again.
Noise machines
cut trees

block holes
trap and relocate
light in roof
alternative home

Back