Have you noticed

That the supermarket trolley boys are now men with tractors.
In my day that was an after school job.
Is there such a thing as a paper boy these days? I use to do that when I was 12-14 yrs old for extra pocket money.

That the supermarket trolley boys are now men with tractors.
In my day that was an after school job.
Is there such a thing as a paper boy these days? I use to do that when I was 12-14 yrs old for extra pocket money.

Yeah it was a right of passage through to adulthood.

OH&S are all over it these days.

Yeah had a paper round in Rossmoyne on Sundays selling The Independent, then used to sell the remainder at Traffic Light intersection of Leach Hwy & High Road.

My first job was at a golf range picking up balls. Bucket one hand, scoop the other, and bike helmet buckled up tight. Only got hit twice.

Paperboy seems long gone too - in my area it's men hooning around at 4am throwing the paper from the car window.

Cheers

Jamie

Paperboy seems long gone too - in my area it's men hooning around at 4am throwing the paper from the car window.

Cheers

Jamie

Our weekend papers get delivered by car at about 7am.

My grown up kids tell me I'm terrible for leaving a shopping trolley beside a pillar rather than walk it back to the trolley storage bay. I tell them I'm keeping someone in a job. They don't buy it, but I don't feel any guilt for not walking it back. Am I a bad person? :eek:

Two of our boys had the local newspaper run. We would get them dropped to our house. We helped the boy doing the delivery insert and fold them, and put our dog kennel on wheels to pull around while the boy put them in the letterbox. It was good exercise but became a real PITA as the years rolled on. Now they chuck them from a car, but that was not allowed back when we did it.

I cracked it one day when, just pre-Christmas, there were 11 inserts and the boy said to me "I'll just watch telly... let me know when you are finished and I'll help you deliver them". That was pretty much the end of "his" job. Then the youngest took over. We did that for years.

My 3 brothers and I used to deliver about 300 local papers once a week for $12 IIRC... we dropped it when they tried to cut the fee to $3.50, and they eventually found a kid to do it. He lasted about 2 months before his Mum got frustrated and said she'd pay him $5 not to spend 4 hours delivering. It was a big housing estate, spread out detached houses.

Fear not my brother's 12yo delivers the local community newspaper with some pamphlets.

My DS15 works at the local IGA and is a ScanMan usually but will also do trolley duty some days.

My 3 brothers and I used to deliver about 300 local papers once a week for $12 IIRC... we dropped it when they tried to cut the fee to $3.50, and they eventually found a kid to do it. He lasted about 2 months before his Mum got frustrated and said she'd pay him $5 not to spend 4 hours delivering. It was a big housing estate, spread out detached houses.

LOL... that reminded me that hubby said many times towards the end of the paper run "let's pay him what he gets so we DON'T have to do this any more".

My grown up kids tell me I'm terrible for leaving a shopping trolley beside a pillar rather than walk it back to the trolley storage bay. I tell them I'm keeping someone in a job. They don't buy it, but I don't feel any guilt for not walking it back. Am I a bad person? :eek:

I seriously HATE it when people do this, Emma's brand new car last year, and my somewhat no-so-new one anymore are covered in small dints and bumps from combinations of people not returning trolleys, so they end up free-roaming down the car park into whatever car they hit first, or the other favorite, people using the side of your car as their door stop.

The first thing that comes to mind when I see a trolley left in the car park isn't that it's keeping someone in a job, more how lazy/selfish is the person that left it that they can't be arsed to walk it 10 meters to a trolley bay to save someone another dent or scratch on their car.

My 3 brothers and I used to deliver about 300 local papers once a week for $12 IIRC...

oh man - that was my first "working" experience.

The whole family folding hundreds of papers in the lounge room. You then tie on a milk crate to the front of the bike and off you go to deliver hundreds of papers for a princely sum of around $15.

Cheers

Jamie

I seriously HATE it when people do this, Emma's brand new car last year, and my somewhat no-so-new one anymore are covered in small dints and bumps from combinations of people not returning trolleys, so they end up free-roaming down the car park into whatever car they hit first, or the other favorite, people using the side of your car as their door stop.

The first thing that comes to mind when I see a trolley left in the car park isn't that it's keeping someone in a job, more how lazy/selfish is the person that left it that they can't be arsed to walk it 10 meters to a trolley bay to save someone another dent or scratch on their car.

Oh please give me some credit for leaving it beside a post, not near a car, not on a slope :rolleyes: (and if it was just 10 metres I would take it back)... AND... this is Carindale where you cannot walk ten steps without nearly being run over by a trolley tractor. Ain't no trollies left anywhere for more than a minute there.

Why, are posts and trolleys magnetically attracted?

Do you understand that bit posts, bigger than the trolley itself are more likely to be hit by a car, than the smaller trolley sitting beside it?

Do you understand that a trolley cannot roam downhill, when it is on flat ground?

Do you understand that bit posts, bigger than the trolley itself are more likely to be hit by a car, than the smaller trolley sitting beside it?

Do you understand that a trolley cannot roam downhill, when it is on flat ground?

...but it can be clipped by a passing car, or shoved by a mischievous kid.

I just don't understand what's so hard about walking it back to a trolley bay? Especially if you're going to the trouble of looking for a suitable post where you can be assured it wont roll away, be shoved or clipped by a car.

...but it can be clipped by a passing car, or shoved by a mischievous kid.

I just don't understand what's so hard about walking it back to a trolley bay? Especially if you're going to the trouble of looking for a suitable post where you can be assured it wont roll away, be shoved or clipped by a car.

I'm NOT looking for a suitable post. If I have a long walk back, I place it VERY carefully beside the post I'm parked against, or push it to a footpath. I know for absolute certain that it will not be there longer than a minute. If someone hits my trolley, they will have hit the post first. I'm not stupid. I think about what I do. I don't just leave it in the middle of a park. Sheesh!

I'm NOT looking for a suitable post. If I have a long walk back, I place it VERY carefully beside the post I'm parked against, or push it to a footpath. I know for absolute certain that it will not be there longer than a minute. If someone hits my trolley, they will have hit the post first. I'm not stupid. I think about what I do. I don't just leave it in the middle of a park. Sheesh!

...just deleted what I was going to write, seriously not intending to get into a keyboard fight and respect a LOT of what I have read of yours on the forum over the years. I'll leave you to park your trolley wherever you like.

Run, hamster, run!

Back