Hidden camera reveals what it's like to walk through NYC as a man.

A recent thread on Somersoft showing a video of a woman getting unsolicited attention on the streets of New York was framed as showing we still have a way to go for gender equality. But this is what happened when a man did the same thing for 3 hours (link skips intro):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75aX9mlipiY&t=0m28s

(Though I'll readily admit the woman gets the most aggressive attention, those following her for a few minutes. I wonder if the man would have found the same if walking for 10 hours instead of 3.)

& another I posted in the last thread (though this is a man with another point of difference): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD_PWU6K514

I think society focuses so specifically on women's inequality issues (which are important) that men's issues are often overlooked.

Even when gender equality was the topic of a speech at the UN, Emma Watson appears to not have spoken with men about their most important issues (if you don't have time for a 30 minute clip, then watch for 10 minutes from the 12 minute mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o0euhM6bjg

Having a sense of humour I thought this parody version of the NYC walk was pretty funny:

http://www.funnyordie.com/articles/ebf5e34fc8/10-hours-of-walking-in-nyc-as-a-man

Yep you are spot on hobo.
Men are forgotten about in many ways these days , it's all about women and equality .
And if you go through a divorce you would be amazed at the difference in treatment and mens rights [ basically non existent ] as compared to her where the carpet is basically rolled out for her. With the laws , rights , benefits, help often literally thrown at her , even by family and friends. It's just assumed - oh the poor thing .
But in many cases the poor things have gone of and screwed around and that's what's busted up the marriage but it makes no difference .
One good thing Howard did was apparently turning a lot of the big stuff around a bit , like custody for the dads and how important that was . His rights financially. Non of that isan auto clean sweep straight to her anymore , but it was apparently and not very long ago .
And many of the women even younger ones still just assume that's how it's going to be when they get divorced and they'll be calling the shots but thank God it ain't so easy now. But in that area it's still has a long way to go.

But the singles world in this day and age is the other real eye opener . So many women out there with zero scruples , me me me , the entitlement attitude ,its just mind boggling .
Some of he forums l've been in , seen and unfortunately read through . Wouldn't even talk about the real ugly stuff here they'd kick me out .
And RL has proved just as bad if not even more so . The attitudes out there and the actions even more so , man o man.
So this ones of no surprise to me believe me. Matter of fact l remember seeing the other one and thought straight away yeah , but l wonder what it's like for a guy too.

Good post hobo_jo. Harassment isn't acceptable no matter who it is. The first youtube clip was interesting. The 2nd one is the best - these guys and girls really have a hard time and often end up talking to and dealing with the worst of the bunch.
By the same token, I have a deaf and blind sister and you get to see that it doesn't matter if someone is male or female, rich or poor, showy or modest, each individual reacts differently. In general, most people are at the very least considerate. It may surprise you who the least considerate are ( think north shore, black 4 WD, showy).
I'm sorry but couldn't watch the 3rd one. I tried to watch it through the other day when you 1st posted it and thought he had some good points. I just wondered about other personal issues he may have that he's not dealing with and is externalising instead. It may get better as it goes on but too late for me now.
Thanks for the informative post hobo-jo - there's a lot in it.
P.S. Just because someone wants to be treated fairly, doesn't mean they want everyone else to be treated unfairly.

Last edited:
A recent thread on Somersoft showing a video of a woman getting unsolicited attention on the streets of New York was framed as showing we still have a way to go for gender equality.

The vid of the girl in NYC which went viral is presumably aimed at men. So in order for it to succeed, it needs to convince men that a problem exists and that the problem needs to be addressed. It didn't succeed because:

1. The vid is unintentionally racist as hell, and that doesn't help feminism.
2. The vid editing feels manipulative and turns people off to the message.
3. It makes women look like idiots for living in such a place voluntarily.
4. Every man featured in the video is a 'creep'. Isn't that sexist?
5. The 'harassment' was mostly in the form of powerless men hurling compliments at a woman that probably has a better job and more education than nearly all of the men in the video. Remind me again who the victims are?

Joseph, I'm sure you won't throw a hissy like Television and later request this thread be closed because you can't handle the heat :p

Harassment isn't acceptable no matter who it is.

I agree and it's good to see there's no genuine 'harassment' on the video of the woman walking in NYC with the camera, nor on this one with the guy doing the same.

There is still plenty of spousal abuse, job discrimination, sex crimes and other horrors perpetrated against women. But in 2014 that stuff is more crime than sexism. It's not about feminism. These days it's not so much the "can't vote" type of problem it once was, it's more of the "someone is making me uncomfortable" or "that guy said something creepy".

In regards to reactions to that 10hr walk, there's nothing that I don't like about this guy or what he says:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdFxiaCvfyc

I especially like that he doesn't try to tell anyone else what their reality is.

He understands flirting and the difference between a compliment and harassment. And he's gorgeous. Black men have a different approach to women than do white men.

I had to laugh when he said that women can follow men too. I once followed a really good looking man up and down the aisles of an Italian supermarket.

Last edited:
I read on a US news site that the creators of the 'woman walking through NYC' were racist and the response was that white men were just as bad, but when they edited the footage all the white men were obscured by vehicles, or noise drowned them out. All of them.

Yeah, right.

Be careful, if genders were reversed that would be stalking. And creepy, don't forget creepy...

lol, I was fully aware of that when I wrote it. But I did it surreptitiously. Does that make it less creepy? Probably not.

My daughter, her cousin and a friend were at Bondi the other day. All three are absolutely beautiful girls. She told me that the three of them spent a lot of time staring at and talking about a beautiful boy they saw. I wonder whether he felt 'harassed'.

Naughty property girl!

Texting has not been a good thing for some female stalkers!
As a teacher I've found that some females are less aware of what does and doesn't cross the line. Also, girlfriends of male students (adults) can be problematic. I've been stalked by both males and females. Yes, creepy.

There's a team in Australia that's been advocating (for at least 2 years that I'm aware of) for men to have the same family rights as women, and to be encouraged to use them. They did a study and found most men want to be better family men, but are scared of stigma or of career impacts, and they are the major income-earner. This group figured the easiest way to remove the divide in the way women's careers are impacted is to remove any differences between theirs and the males.

I'm sorry but couldn't watch the 3rd one. I tried to watch it through the other day when you 1st posted it and thought he had some good points. I just wondered about other personal issues he may have that he's not dealing with and is externalising instead. It may get better as it goes on but too late for me now.
While Molyneux raises some important points on gender equality in the clip I don't blame you as he has a very blunt and sometimes aggressive demeanor when getting his point across.

The main reason for introducing the clip was simply to highlight that women's equality issues are often highlighted, while men's are ignored or misrepresented.
Joseph, I'm sure you won't throw a hissy like Television and later request this thread be closed because you can't handle the heat :p
Not likely, just hoping any discussion can remain civil so that it doesn't otherwise get out of control and locked :)
I had to laugh when he said that women can follow men too. I once followed a really good looking man up and down the isles of an Italian supermarket.
And yet in the other thread you said:
Put it this way: if you, as a man, were in a space of gay bikies--all much bigger and stronger than you and all of whom had an edge of violence about them--who started to proposition you, tell you to smile, follow you uninvited for any amount of time, you would begin to fathom how it can feel for a woman.
So basically you think it's ok for a woman to follow a man around uninvited, but not the reverse?

You basically validated this thread for me, because I started it in frustration at the double standard that is applied to men & the lack of empathy on real issues of gender equality for males which you labelled as "boring, boring, boring" in the last thread.

There's a team in Australia that's been advocating (for at least 2 years that I'm aware of) for men to have the same family rights as women, and to be encouraged to use them. They did a study and found most men want to be better family men, but are scared of stigma or of career impacts, and they are the major income-earner. This group figured the easiest way to remove the divide in the way women's careers are impacted is to remove any differences between theirs and the males.

I remember my Dad was still on holidays once and we all went back to school. He made our lunches and put silly notes inside them threatening to rip our arms off if we didn't eat them. I loved it.
There should be more of it!

My daughter, her cousin and a friend were at Bondi the other day. All three are absolutely beautiful girls. She told me that the three of them spent a lot of time staring at and talking about a beautiful boy they saw. I wonder whether he felt 'harassed'.

Check the definition of 'harassment' in the other thread -- he wasn't harassed. But if 3 men spent a lot of time staring and talking about a beautiful girl they'd be labeled 'creepy'.

I think society focuses so specifically on women's inequality issues (which are important)

9qb6km.jpg

lol, I was fully aware of that when I wrote it. But I did it surreptitiously. Does that make it less creepy? Probably not.

One of the ways to test whether something is <demographic> imbalanced is to reverse that demographic.

The reality is that people are people, and everyone is different. In reality, I don't think it's that creepy.:)

Twice this year I've been out at a pub for a function and had some random female grope my butt (I'm 39 FFS!). I suspect a female wouldn't like that so much but as a male it's supposed to be high fives and giggles all round.

And yet in the other thread you said:

So basically you think it's ok for a woman to follow a man around uninvited, but not the reverse?

You basically validated this thread for me, because I started it in frustration at the double standard that is applied to men & the lack of empathy on real issues of gender equality for males which you labelled as "boring, boring, boring" in the last thread.

Yes, I wholeheartedly admit that I stalked a beautiful man for three aisles at a supermarket. As the gorgeous black man said (I can't remember his name), it's about how it's done. Now had I walked beside him for four minutes, invaded his personal space and badgered him for his attention it would have been a different matter, and had I been stronger than he was and intimidating in my actions, you would have a point. Therein lies the difference.

And, sorry, but that continuous droning reply to Emma Watson's speech was boring, boring, boring.

One of the ways to test whether something is <demographic> imbalanced is to reverse that demographic.

The reality is that people are people, and everyone is different. In reality, I don't think it's that creepy.:)

Twice this year I've been out at a pub for a function and had some random female grope my butt (I'm 39 FFS!). I suspect a female wouldn't like that so much but as a male it's supposed to be high fives and giggles all round.

Berlina, you are quite right. I am happy to do to someone what I would be happy to receive. If someone were to follow me three aisles of a supermarket to admire my beauty, it would be a compliment. However, I wouldn't grab anybody's butt as I wouldn't like it done to me.

Back