Home Schooling (split off from Early Retirement thread)

I attended a private school until year ten, then public for the final two. I currently drive a semi.
My younger brother was home schooled. He's currently a manager of a large hospital in Sydney.
Make of that what you will!

LOL.... that sums up my sentiment on this thread perfectly! :D

As for the comments about socialization and interacting etc, etc, etc.... Many home schooled kids still go to Scouts or are in a sporting club, and contrary to much of what I have read.... they actually still have friends and extended family. They aren't lepers locked away in their home for 18 years. :rolleyes:

locko sums it up nicely... the system drove him to... ahh, he drives to... oh bugger it, he's scarred for life! ;)

Private schooled children only deal with other "privileged" children, who's families can afford the tuition.

This is a misconception fuelled by the publicity that the expensive private schools get. A large number of independent schools have school populations skewed to the lower socio economic ends and their fees reflect this. Many of these schools deliver education at lower cost than state equivalents. I would argue that some state schools are skewed the other way eg Chatswood High 92% of students have families in the top 50% of incomes

I find it very interesting that on a forum that promotes 'go your own way' that we are getting into this so deeply.

There are plenty of home schooled kids who do great, and plenty who don't. Just like schooled kids.

Not quite what I said, but whatever you reckon...
Now who has comprehension problems?

I didn't say that is what you said, I said it is what I was picturing.
wylie said:
You might know how to read, but you have no idea what I actually "said".

Take it out of context and twist my words if you want. I don't give a toss. Others can relate to what I said. You seem to have problems with comprehension.

You need a Bex and a lie down.
As for the rest of what you said, you know exactly what you said and you know exactly what you meant. You know exactly how you meant the "glaringly obvious" remark, generally negative tone and sarcastically stupid question regarding how to home school when no one is home to do the teaching to be taken. Your puerile "I'm not for or against it" disclaimer is no better than the child who claims "it was just a joke" after yelling insults at another child.

When I responded to what you so obviously meant you responded in the usual cowardly internet troll way by claiming to be misunderstood, questioning my credibility and the finally resorting to insulting me.

At least I have the integrity of my convictions and stand by what I have written. You on the other hand lack the integrity to do the same. It is you who should crawl back under the rock you came from and have a lie down.

I'm done with you in this thread.

Whatever you reckon buddy...

You are very excitable about all this. Goodness knows why.

You have taken my comments and twisted them to suit yourself. Most people I'm guessing can read into what I said and take my meaning.

Home schooling doesn't interest me. I don't care about it either way. I was simply pointing out that nobody had mentioned that maybe home school is not that popular due to both parents working or most parents not having the ability or interest in doing it.

Now just cool down.

I think (and I could be off base) but Wylie was probably directing the comment "glaringly obvious" comment to other mothers. If they needed to work outside the home, homeschooling probably wasn't even an option.

It seems to be overwhelmingly the mothers who homeschool, and this is on top running a household.Add in giving birth and being tired (with 13 kids, your mum would be tired) and still caring for under school aged children.
If you sent children off to conventional school, it at least lessens the amount of children home at any given time.

As for getting a break from the kids...hmm, not sure, as I never felt that way.
I very much enjoyed raising children

We have to talk a lot about this...they split off a thread. If we stopped commenting, it might be considered rude :D

One more try then.

Whatever you reckon buddy...

You are very excitable about all this. Goodness knows why.
I don't know maybe because people perpetuating negative stereotypes and myths that reflect poorly on myself, my family and many other fine, highly educated and social adept people kind of bugs me. When those people then resort to insulting me rather than engaging in reasoned discussion that just annoys me even more.

I suppose you think homosexual people should just chill out about homophobia or muslims should chill out about the racism they are subjected to daily too right?
wylie said:
You have taken my comments and twisted them to suit yourself. Most people I'm guessing can read into what I said and take my meaning.
So you admit people need to "read into" what you said to get to what you really mean but if someone gets the wrong meaning you accuse them of twisting your words.

Maybe you should try expressing yourself in a less ambiguous way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think (and I could be off base) but Wylie was probably directing the comment "glaringly obvious" comment to other mothers. If they needed to work outside the home, homeschooling probably wasn't even an option.
Ok so now we have comments that need to be read into and also you need to be a certain gender to have a hope of understanding and yet if someone doesn't get the perfect and exact meaning intended by the poster they are twisting the words to suit themselves. Hhhhmmm
kathryn d said:
It seems to be overwhelmingly the mothers who homeschool, and this is on top running a household.Add in giving birth and being tired (with 13 kids, your mum would be tired) and still caring for under school aged children.
If you sent children off to conventional school, it at least lessens the amount of children home at any given time.
Send them off to boarding school then you get even more time alone. Awesome! Add in summer camp during the holidays and you basically don't need to ever see your kids. How good is that?
(and yes that is sarcasm and not directed at you or anyone else specifically)

Yes if someone is too tired to school their kids or has to work full time or just plain has no interest in home schooling they very likely wont attempt to home school their children. That is glaringly obvious and perhaps it had not been mentioned until wylie made the comment simply because it was so glaringly f'ing obvious and saying it adds nothing to the discussion. If that is truly all that was meant by the comments then I respectfully suggest wylie be awarded the nobel prize for the glaringly f'ing obvious. I'm still inclined to believe the comments were truly meant as negatives regarding home schooling and not simply as casual observations.
kathryn d said:
As for getting a break from the kids...hmm, not sure, as I never felt that way.
I very much enjoyed raising children
That's nice. My comment regarding most parents looking forward to time alone whilst children were at school was not directed at you personally and I did specifically say "most parents".
kathryn d said:
We have to talk a lot about this...they split off a thread. If we stopped commenting, it might be considered rude :D
Well I really am done now. Those with no knowledge of or interest in the reality of home schooling are happy with their preconceived misconceptions and are not going to change their minds. I've said my piece.

Well I really am done now. Those with no knowledge of or interest in the reality of home schooling are happy with their preconceived misconceptions and are not going to change their minds. I've said my piece.

If anyone is reading this thread, they obviously are interested in homeschooling whether it be "pro,against, or on the fence".

You are fairly new to SS so having heated discussions is part of it.
We all get frustrated at times. Conversations and meanings can get mixed, especially with typos or lack of inflection.

Wylie and I are probably old enough to be your mother, and we have survived raising children :)
We have a bit more life experience, and understand how exhausting raising several children at once can be, and for the most part, we've been SAHM.

You, on the other hand, can share what it is like to be homeschooled, if you choose to.

Hi All,

I think all views have been vigorously aired and we are starting to go in circles a bit here.

I am closing off.....

The Y-man

Back