How hard is it to get into a Private School if you're not baptised?

Sure they might be empty

But why would people want to send their kids to a school which teaches their kids things that they do not agree with ?

That is not what my boys are being taught. I have no issue with the small amount of religion (actually life and faith) that is taught in the Anglican school they attend. It is very different to the "mass every morning, prayers every morning" at the local catholic boys school, and which made up our mind to cross that school off our list.

We're suppsed to be conscious adults, you don't find that odd, at all ?

As I said, no.

Why would you bapiste your child, make them members of a religion, if you didnt agree with it.. why do that to the child and to the religion ?

To shut up my mother-in-law, purely and simply. We have done nothing detrimental to the children, who were six months old when they were baptised. They are free to make their own conscious choice, which is more than I can say for the children who are forced to accept a certain religion and belief system because their parents say so. Plenty of brainwashing has gone on for many years.

If I wanted my son to take up fitness & boxing, but hte only chaptraining wa via the Heall's Angles and my 12 yr old woould have to become a member, get a 1%er tattoo etc - guess, what, my son wouldn't be going to any lessons, end of story.. rather than "lie" to the organisation

Simplifying a bit maybe

You don't say...

You don't say...

I suppose I am focussing on the reliogious bit of the relgion part of the discsission

If the school is a relgious school, it is focussing on providing an educaiton based on it's religion and the overall national etc curriculum

Betting baptised you take on the religion, the god parents swear to help raise the child in the religion etc, as they all beleive this si the right way to live life.

I didn't know (honestly) that peeoplke would just sya "who caes, I dont beleive in it at all, ESPECIALLY somnethign that I acutally disagreed with, I'll just do it to get into the school oir whatever" and I'd never considered doing so (I don't think)...

just saying / asking

Sure they might be empty

But why would people want to send their kids to a school which teaches their kids things that they do not agree with ?

We're suppsed to be conscious adults, you don't find that odd, at all ?

Why would you bapiste your child, make them members of a religion, if you didnt agree with it.. why do that to the child and to the religion ?

If I wanted my son to take up fitness & boxing, but hte only chaptraining wa via the Heall's Angles and my 12 yr old woould have to become a member, get a 1%er tattoo etc - guess, what, my son wouldn't be going to any lessons, end of story.. rather than "lie" to the organisation

Simplifying a bit maybe

HI jaycee,

While I am not religious....I agree with the morals that are taught in most religions. So while I don't believe in God, I believe in teaching values, respect thy neighbor, respect thy father, respect thy mother etc etc to my children.

The Catholic School teaches all religions...which I regard as historically relevant to my children's education. I have read to my children from books given to me by Jehovah's Witness and the Bible, and I agree somewhat with the Muslim religion when they speak of Jesus as a Prophet. Personally, I see him as an incredibly wise man, like Abraham, Buddha or the Delai Lama.

If part of being baptised means that the child should be taught the ways of Jesus Christ....there is nothing wrong with that in my opinion. I would feel "uncomfortable"..yes....and I would not MAKE my son do it if he didn't want to....
BUT...it would not be any easy decision and fortunately, I ahve never had to make it. I wouldn't judge anyone for doing it if they thought the alternative was so terribly bad and detrimental to their child.

We could get into a debate on how men of the church and so-called believers contradict and lie to themselves everyday...but as I can see absolutely no harm in Baptising my son, I COULD see alot of harm tatooing his arm, sticking him on the back of a motorbike to join a life of crime and violence....possibly not the best analogy you have ever given!;)

If more people taught their children ALL of the religions....the world we be a much better place.

Hi Lizzie, I'll PM you, no worries.

Regards JO

HI jaycee,

While I am not religious....I agree with the morals that are taught in most religions. So while I don't believe in God, I believe in teaching values, respect thy neighbor, respect thy father, respect thy mother etc etc to my children.

The Catholic School teaches all religions...which I regard as historically relevant to my children's education. I have read to my children from books given to me by Jehovah's Witness and the Bible, and I agree somewhat with the Muslim religion when they speak of Jesus as a Prophet. Personally, I see him as an incredibly wise man, like Abraham, Buddha or the Delai Lama.

If part of being baptised means that the child should be taught the ways of Jesus Christ....there is nothing wrong with that in my opinion. I would feel "uncomfortable"..yes....and I would not MAKE my son do it if he didn't want to....
BUT...it would not be any easy decision and fortunately, I ahve never had to make it. I wouldn't judge anyone for doing it if they thought the alternative was so terribly bad and detrimental to their child.

We could get into a debate on how men of the church and so-called believers contradict and lie to themselves everyday...but as I can see absolutely no harm in Baptising my son, I COULD see alot of harm tatooing his arm, sticking him on the back of a motorbike to join a life of crime and violence....possibly not the best analogy you have ever given!;)

If more people taught their children ALL of the religions....the world we be a much better place.

Regards JO

Baptism is somethinh that happens in the Christian chruch and it baptised you in the name of God as a member of that chriuch, which is belevied to tbe the right way to cojmmune/live with etc God.

You dont get baptised into "generic religion",. you get baptised into Roman Catholicsm, Orthodoxy etc etc.....

I'd have thought that would have made non Christians run the other way so to speak :confused:

Regards JO

Agree, but at the same time I don't think it's common at all to see parents where both have no religious upbringing or baptism themselves, baptising their children simply to get them into a school.

These parents usually choose to enter the school as non Christian.

I think it would be far too alien a thing to do if you had no understanding of Catholisism, and second it would be too difficult to follow through (after baptism follow more ceremonies and sometimes religious 'lessons' involving the child and family) without getting involved and familiar with it beforehand.

As Athiests our reason for baptising was to avoid any family upset as both sets of parents were very religious (ok, maybe not my father :)), with my husbands family being Catholic. We may have not believed but were not anti either so we went with it. Now I think that happens far more often.

I also think as long as it doesn't harm anyone, who really cares?

On the subject of the school, I never once in the application forms or in the interviews stated my children were going there for a religious education, and actually stressed other reasons as being important.

The interviewer teacher must have picked on this in the last interview because he piped up that the purpose of the school was to educate children in the same way as any other school, and the religious aspect was very secondary as if to reassure.

Last edited:
We go to church every week and had no problems at all in getting our oldest into private high school (not catholic) for next year. The kids aren't baptised either, as we don't believe in that until the child decides for himself/herself when they are ready.

I'd have thought that would have made non Christians run the other way so to speak :confused:

You clearly haven't met my mother-in-law ;):D

When my husband's 56 year old sister was about 18 she put her foot down, decided she wasn't going to church that Sunday. She said she waited all week and (seriously) thought she would die, such was the pressure from her mother.

When she was still alive the next Sunday she did it again, and missed her second week of mass.

Interestingly enough, her kids went to catholic schools, did the whole confirmation "thing" bit at 31 and 28 are not involved in the church at all now. It will be interesting to see what they chose for their kids, if they have them.

Hubby is a lapsed catholic, and used to make things up when he had to go to confession. How healthy is thinking missing mass means certain death, and having to make stuff up to confess? Brainwashing, much?

Hubby's mother for years held up our family meals when she came to our house on the weekend because she insisted on 15 other people sitting around until 7pm when mass finished and she got home. Then we could all eat. We did that for many years until hubby and I decided she could either attend mass and we would heat up her meal for her, or she could attend on a Sunday when it would not hold up dinner.

To me, what she did was not acceptable and we don't put up with it any more. She used to take our kids along to our local church and whilst they were happy to go along when they were younger, once they decided they didn't want to go, we stood up to her and told her it was their choice.

It is the brainwashing that goes with some religions (or even with some people involved in some religions) that I cannot stand. Honesty, integrity and respect for others isn't something you always are taught via the church or religious people, but that is what we hoped the private school would help us to instil in our boys.

Although we didn't baptise our sons to get them into a school to but shut up the mother-in-law and her constant banging on about it, for peace, if you like, if the Star Wars Intergalactic School was the school we chose and we couldn't get the boys in without baptising them, we would have considered it.

The school they went to happens to be Anglican, but we chose it because it is a good school with lovely atmosphere and produced (mostly) well mannered, well rounded students. Mother-in-law was NOT happy, but by then, we thought pffffttt!!! She can just get over it.

But choice of a church school, in our opinion, is a different kettle of fish to attending church and I stand by my statement that most children attending a church school would not be attending a weekly church service, nor would their parents.

Of the families I know through having three children attend a church school, and my friends whose children attend church schools, I actually know of only one family that attends church weekly. And they are not Anglican but their children attend an Anglican school.

I would love to hear from others the number of school children and/or families attending church schools who attend weekly services.

You clearly haven't met my mother-in-law ;):D

When my husband's 56 year old sister was about 18 she put her foot down, decided she wasn't going to church that Sunday. She said she waited all week and (seriously) thought she would die, such was the pressure from her mother.

When she was still alive the next Sunday she did it again, and missed her second week of mass.

Interestingly enough, her kids went to catholic schools, did the whole confirmation "thing" bit at 31 and 28 are not involved in the church at all now. It will be interesting to see what they chose for their kids, if they have them.

Hubby is a lapsed catholic, and used to make things up when he had to go to confession. How healthy is thinking missing mass means certain death, and having to make stuff up to confess? Brainwashing, much?

Hubby's mother for years held up our family meals when she came to our house on the weekend because she insisted on 15 other people sitting around until 7pm when mass finished and she got home. Then we could all eat. We did that for many years until hubby and I decided she could either attend mass and we would heat up her meal for her, or she could attend on a Sunday when it would not hold up dinner.

To me, what she did was not acceptable and we don't put up with it any more. She used to take our kids along to our local church and whilst they were happy to go along when they were younger, once they decided they didn't want to go, we stood up to her and told her it was their choice.

It is the brainwashing that goes with some religions (or even with some people involved in some religions) that I cannot stand. Honesty, integrity and respect for others isn't something you always are taught via the church or religious people, but that is what we hoped the private school would help us to instil in our boys.

Although we didn't baptise our sons to get them into a school to but shut up the mother-in-law and her constant banging on about it, for peace, if you like, if the Star Wars Intergalactic School was the school we chose and we couldn't get the boys in without baptising them, we would have considered it.

The school they went to happens to be Anglican, but we chose it because it is a good school with lovely atmosphere and produced (mostly) well mannered, well rounded students. Mother-in-law was NOT happy, but by then, we thought pffffttt!!! She can just get over it.

But choice of a church school, in our opinion, is a different kettle of fish to attending church and I stand by my statement that most children attending a church school would not be attending a weekly church service, nor would their parents.

Of the families I know through having three children attend a church school, and my friends whose children attend church schools, I actually know of only one family that attends church weekly. And they are not Anglican but their children attend an Anglican school.

I would love to hear from others the number of school children and/or families attending church schools who attend weekly services.

Look, I am aware that non regliious people exist and that they are invovled in different ways in things that the chruches and lrelgions run.. I just wonder about the :"hypocircy" of it all when so many times "Ethics and morals and integrity" are spoken of in the same sentence sort of thing....
Non religious people dont have to pay any regard to the rleigiouys apsects sxo I suppose they can ignroe them BUt I dcI thoguht a beleif was wonrg or silly or brainwahsing, I'm not sure I coudl comforatably send my kids there sayin "look just pretend for the sake of the education"

again, I 'm just saying....

I know lots of Italians who attendced CAtholic Primary & highschools, who 3whos famileiles went to Roman Catholic Chruch services weekly etc etc HEAPS of them.. In Perth we never had any Greek Orthodox schools, but we do now & numerous kids and their fmailies seem to go to weekly services etc etc

I'm not denying non religous people go to these schools, but are you trying to suggest that religious people wouldn't ?

Look, I am aware that non regliious people exist and that they are invovled in different ways in things that the chruches and lrelgions run.. I just wonder about the :"hypocircy" of it all when so many times "Ethics and morals and integrity" are spoken of in the same sentence sort of thing....

I don't believe you must be religious to teach your children goodness, honest, integrity. I'm sure you don't either.

Non religious people dont have to pay any regard to the rleigiouys apsects sxo I suppose they can ignroe them BUt I dcI thoguht a beleif was wonrg or silly or brainwahsing, I'm not sure I coudl comforatably send my kids there sayin "look just pretend for the sake of the education"

I was so uncomfortable at the pushy catholic boys school interview that we scrapped that idea. Our other choices were two huge local state schools or the Anglican school that we knew was good. Our oldest boy was of a temperament that he would be bullied, and he was. He was not a "jock" and we actually chose private schooling purely for his temperament.

I know lots of Italians who attendced CAtholic Primary & highschools, who 3whos famileiles went to Roman Catholic Chruch services weekly etc etc HEAPS of them.. In Perth we never had any Greek Orthodox schools, but we do now & numerous kids and their fmailies seem to go to weekly services etc etc

I'm not denying non religous people go to these schools, but are you trying to suggest that religious people wouldn't ?

Not at all. I just think that when it comes to school, religion is not the first reason why people chose a school. It certainly wasn't for us.

I'm not trying to annoy or upset anybody, but I enjoy hearing what others think of this topic. It certainly is a polariser.

I suppose that is why we were taught to not discuss sex, politics or religion :D.

Not at all. I just think that when it comes to school, religion is not the first reason why people chose a school. It certainly wasn't for us.

I'm not trying to annoy or upset anybody, but I enjoy hearing what others think of this topic. It certainly is a polariser.

I suppose that is why we were taught to not discuss sex, politics or religion :D.

Look I think it's a good thing for people to attend good schools and I believe those in charge of religious schools want to help in the way their religion intends, they are being honest, which goes with the fact that the religious schools dont usually exclude non members of their church.

Probably the "polarising" bit for me was when I think some said they might/would baptise a child to get into such a school if that's the wya the religions want to play the game....... Then again, this gives the kid different exposure than otherwise, rather than not know but "think they know" "what them religious schools/mobs are all about"..

again, I 'm just saying....

Hi jaycee,

you wouldn't actually "say" that to your kids.

Sometimes, we just "do" things to keep the peace and turn a blind eye...so to speak. I think everyone must have been guilty of it at some point in their lives.

My girlfriend married an Italian Catholic with a very religious mother. She was non-practising Anglican. To please her MIL (I can TOTALLY understand where weg is coming from on that point;)) she baptised her children in the Catholic religion and guess who is the God Mother?

Yep me. Yes, you are right..I did feel hypocritical..(mind you I did not pray but bowed my head out of respect).

Yet, both she and her husband wanted me as the children's God Mother, my religious belief's aside...for their own reasons.

I treasure our friendship and the honour bestowed on me a whole lot more than the Catholic Religion, with all of its ceremony.

The same goes for my children.

Regards JO

I'm so glad that you have this issue sorted. I really don't enjoy the situation where I am not sure of which way I am going on an issue, and cannot settle down to "normal" life when I am worrying about such things.

So, well done on getting it sorted and being able to carry on with things.

Hi jaycee,

you wouldn't actually "say" that to your kids.

Sometimes, we just "do" things to keep the peace and turn a blind eye...so to speak. I think everyone must have been guilty of it at some point in their lives.

My girlfriend married an Italian Catholic with a very religious mother. She was non-practising Anglican. To please her MIL (I can TOTALLY understand where weg is coming from on that point;)) she baptised her children in the Catholic religion and guess who is the God Mother?

Yep me. Yes, you are right..I did feel hypocritical..(mind you I did not pray but bowed my head out of respect).

Yet, both she and her husband wanted me as the children's God Mother, my religious belief's aside...for their own reasons.

I treasure our friendship and the honour bestowed on me a whole lot more than the Catholic Religion, with all of its ceremony.

The same goes for my children.

Regards JO

So religion really has nothing to do with religion anymore for many of us ..

I know many peoppel who were baptised, grew up in very religious households, but when they had kids decided not to baptise them. PArents got over it, they werent blind to the previous 20+ years of their childrens lives.

I just find it's strange (and sad) to feel you have to lie so much to people close to you about thigns that the other people (if not you) take seriously.

Back