How hard is it to get into a Private School if you're not baptised?

I just find it's strange (and sad) to feel you have to lie so much to people close to you about thigns that the other people (if not you) take seriously.

Ummm - who lied?

Jo didn't baptise her kids to get them in - they got in via the interview.

She didn't lie to her daughters' MIL, and they accept she is what she is and they are what they are.

We all guilty of white lies on occasion - telling someone dressed up that they look great when they really look like mutton dressed as lamb etc. Turning a blind eye on occasion is what makes society go around in peaceful turns.

Ummm - who lied?

Jo didn't baptise her kids to get them in - they got in via the interview.

She didn't lie to her daughters' MIL, and they accept she is what she is and they are what they are.

Sometimes you read too much between the lines methinks.

lizzie, I was talking about someone baptisinga child into a relgion they do not want to be associated with... to get them bap[sited, you ahve to tell the priest you WANT to get them bapisted into that religion and you know the preist belevies you wnat to baptise them into the rleigon fo r the religon's sake, but apparently some don't - which leaves me :confused:

So religion really has nothing to do with religion anymore for many of us ..

I know many peoppel who were baptised, grew up in very religious households, but when they had kids decided not to baptise them. PArents got over it, they werent blind to the previous 20+ years of their childrens lives.

I just find it's strange (and sad) to feel you have to lie so much to people close to you about thigns that the other people (if not you) take seriously.

Religion can be anything you want it to be, jaycee. It's not Fundamentalist OR Athiest only - there are no contracts or declarations set up to maintain you must be one or the other.

There are probably many religious people out there like yourself that think it's unacceptable to be what may appear blaze about religion but you have to understand people can do what they please if they're not hurting anyone or breaking the law.

My children go to church with grandparents twice a year because the grandparents really enjoy having them go with them. The oldest a non believer thinks it's a really nice thing to do and enjoys going. The youngest who believes goes because he likes to please his grandparents but hates going to church with a passion (he's actually cried because mass is too long :D).

So what would you propose my children do? Are they liars/decietful/dishonest?

The thing is we don't live in the religious society we once did, and most people will take from religion what suits them - and why not :).

Religion can be anything you want it to be, jaycee. It's not Fundamentalist OR Athiest only - there are no contracts or declarations set up to maintain you must be one or the other.

There are probably many religious people out there like yourself that think it's unacceptable to be what may appear blaze about religion but you have to understand people can do what they please if they're not hurting anyone or breaking the law.

My children go to church with grandparents twice a year because the grandparents really enjoy having them go with them. The oldest a non believer thinks it's a really nice thing to do and enjoys going. The youngest who believes goes because he likes to please his grandparents but hates going to church with a passion (he's actually cried because mass is too long :D).

So what would you propose my children do? Are they liars/decietful/dishonest?

The thing is we don't live in the religious society we once did, and most people will take from religion what suits them - and why not :).

Hi Weg,

When did we live in a religious society ?

I'm just expressing surprise, that some would vocally critiscise something for the religious beliefs they hold and the implications of them, but then for reasons nothing to do with the religion, they want to baptise their kidds to get them into a school, ro to keep some other family m ember happy by saying "here, we believe like you do",,, jsut soudns contradictary...

Just saying.. O didn't think anyone would get that offended over it and aplogise if I have said somehting in the discussion more over the top so to speak than anyone else, as that was not what I meant to do. I'm just expressing an alternative viewpoint for others to consiuder, just as they you have suggested I consider theirs.

I also said it's probably not a bad thing and probably part of the reasons why religious schools or chruches don't "kick out" people who are not baptised or the equivalent of etc...........

Just speaking for hubby and myself, we never implied to his mother that we "believed as she did". She knew that we didn't. That didn't stop her banging on and on and on about "when are you going to have him baptised?"

She is a master manipulator. We had our first-born baptised, and did feel hypocritical (both of us) but it shut her up for a while. We baptised all three children.

By the time the third was born, she realised we were a lost cause and probably blames me for taking him away from the church (pffffftt!!!).

We don't see it as wrong, but a means to an end. To shut up the mother-in-law.

That is all.

So religion really has nothing to do with religion anymore for many of us ..

I know many peoppel who were baptised, grew up in very religious households, but when they had kids decided not to baptise them. PArents got over it, they werent blind to the previous 20+ years of their childrens lives.

I'll take that as a rhetorical thought?

I have NEVER lied to anyone close to me or a priest, brother or minister....I told the Minister that married me I was only getting married in his church becasue it would look good in my photos.... In a nice way of course and after being pushed into attending silly services that were meaningless in their religious context to me. I was 20 at the time.

I told the Brother at the Catholic School I wanted to enrol my son in, that I was not religious but I believed and I strongly do, that my son should get religious education. I see it as a history lesson and a lesson in social understanding and compromise.

I know what you mean though, jaycee.

Regards JO

Just speaking for hubby and myself, we never implied to his mother that we "believed as she did". She knew that we didn't. That didn't stop her banging on and on and on about "when are you going to have him baptised?"

She is a master manipulator. We had our first-born baptised, and did feel hypocritical (both of us) but it shut her up for a while. We baptised all three children.

By the time the third was born, she realised we were a lost cause and probably blames me for taking him away from the church (pffffftt!!!).

We don't see it as wrong, but a means to an end. To shut up the mother-in-law.

That is all.

Look I'm not pointiing fingers, far be it from me, I'm bloody more than hopeles when it comes to mistakes, hypocrisy, misunderstanding, jumping the gun and whatever else

I was jsut surprised, I've heard the vocal criticism of religons, and the vaocal criticism of their members for hypocrisxy.

It would seem that eligoius or not, we can be as hypocritical as each other...

A non religious person can see a religious person who commits a fauxpar as a hypocrite

So I guess all that's left now is to slug it out between us to determine who is more hypopcritical ?!SARCASM

No problems Jaycee.

But if it comes to be hypocritical by having our sons baptised or having to listen to the mother-in-law banging on and on... I'll be happy to be labelled a hypocrite anyday :D.

I'll take that as a rhetorical thought?

I have NEVER lied to anyone close to me or a priest, brother or minister....I told the Minister that married me I was only getting married in his church becasue it would look good in my photos.... In a nice way of course and after being pushed into attending silly services that were meaningless in their religious context to me. I was 20 at the time.

I told the Brother at the Catholic School I wanted to enrol my son in, that I was not religious but I believed and I strongly do, that my son should get religious education. I see it as a history lesson and a lesson in social understanding and compromise.

I know what you mean though, jaycee.

Regards JO

Thank you

the bolded bit in your quote was the only point I was trying to make, not pointing fingers, cuse as I've said, Im terrible..

Like I said, I believe Christians and non-Christians to be as hypocritical as each other, the only people who aren't are those who conciosuly try to think (fairly, not jsut reinforce thier view) before they act.....

I just got the feeling that many were labelling Christians as hypcorites and whatever else when they did something wrong (he calls himself a Christian, yet I see him doing this & that....), but excused themselves from the label when it appeared their actions were just as confused, and what not.........

Back