How hard is it to get into a Private School if you're not baptised?

Over the past 12 years I've met many mums who have had there children baptised for the sole reason of being able to send there children to a specific Private School. I'm currently in a zoning for a public school that a few parents who I highly value have said, "You'd do anything to not send your kids there!" etc. There is a good public school in the area and it is in very high demand. The border for the intake of the good school ends at the end of the street. I spoke to the school admin and they informed me they won't even give out application forms to anyone who doesn't fall within the catchment, you can only get an application from their office and they are one of the strictest schools for enrollments in the area. Moving is not an option. I'm considering a catholic school which I like the sound of. I'm catholic/ was brought up catholic although I don't regularly attend church. I haven't brought up my children religous, but have focussed on good values and morals and have left it to them to decide what the want to believe in. I really don't think I could bring myself to baptise my kids just to get into a school. It's kind of a weird thing to me really that your childs education can be guided by religion! Anyone know much about the likelyhood of being accepted and not being baptised/non-religous? The school I'm looking into has had an average reputation in the past. They have a new principal and are gaining a good reputation. It looks like they are after enrollments, eg, handing out applications in local shopping centre. My daughter is slightly above average to above average in grades. The school focuses on drama as a subject, and my daughter is an A-B student in drama. Thanks!! :confused:

My observation from about 25 years ago (when my little sisters were attending a Catholic school), is that Catholic schools will open their doors further when enrolments are scarce, but close them to non-Catholics when enrolements are high.

My personal feeling that a school founded on a religious basis does have the right to the expectation that the students attending will be of that religion. If they allow other students then that's their choice.

By this statement I make no judgements on a persons choice of religion, the same way I accept that I can't attend the local Fernwood or Curves gym because I'm male.

I'd also suggest that if non-Catholic children are enrolled in a Catholic school, the parents should expect that their children will be exposed to a Catholic education. My friends were horrified when their 3 year old came home from pre-school talking about God until I pointed out that they chose the pre-school knowing it was run by the Church.

Over the past 12 years I've met many mums who have had there children baptised for the sole reason of being able to send there children to a specific Private School. I'm currently in a zoning for a public school that a few parents who I highly value have said, "You'd do anything to not send your kids there!" etc. There is a good public school in the area and it is in very high demand. The border for the intake of the good school ends at the end of the street. I spoke to the school admin and they informed me they won't even give out application forms to anyone who doesn't fall within the catchment, you can only get an application from their office and they are one of the strictest schools for enrollments in the area. Moving is not an option. I'm considering a catholic school which I like the sound of. I'm catholic/ was brought up catholic although I don't regularly attend church. I haven't brought up my children religous, but have focussed on good values and morals and have left it to them to decide what the want to believe in. I really don't think I could bring myself to baptise my kids just to get into a school. It's kind of a weird thing to me really that your childs education can be guided by religion! Anyone know much about the likelyhood of being accepted and not being baptised/non-religous? The school I'm looking into has had an average reputation in the past. They have a new principal and are gaining a good reputation. It looks like they are after enrollments, eg, handing out applications in local shopping centre. My daughter is slightly above average to above average in grades. The school focuses on drama as a subject, and my daughter is an A-B student in drama. Thanks!! :confused:

People baptise their kids into different religions than they themselves may beleive in in order to get them into a school ?

If they are fishing for applications, I wouldn't be surprised if they took her in.

Are there any non-catholic private schools in the area? If so that way you can skirt around the baptism issue, or at least have a back-up plan.

My observation from about 25 years ago (when my little sisters were attending a Catholic school), is that Catholic schools will open their doors further when enrolments are scarce, but close them to non-Catholics when enrolements are high.

My personal feeling that a school founded on a religious basis does have the right to the expectation that the students attending will be of that religion. If they allow other students then that's their choice.

By this statement I make no judgements on a persons choice of religion, the same way I accept that I can't attend the local Fernwood or Curves gym because I'm male.

I'd also suggest that if non-Catholic children are enrolled in a Catholic school, the parents should expect that their children will be exposed to a Catholic education. My friends were horrified when their 3 year old came home from pre-school talking about God until I pointed out that they chose the pre-school knowing it was run by the Church.

One would think that almost too obvious !

People baptise their kids into different religions than they themselves may beleive in in order to get them into a school ?
That i know of most usually baptise their child according to the religion of either one of the parents. One girl I knew had her child's name at a catholic school since her baby was born and he didn't get in so she ended up sending him to an Anglican school close by but I can't remember what he was baptised as. Some are non-religious but like the look of the school/how the school is run.

We're looking at the same sort of options for junior in case she doesn't get into a public selective school.

The public non-selective high school is a terrible breeding ground for bullies and aggression (lots of public housing and lower social areas feed in). Junior is a quiet, hardworking and sensitive child would be cannon fodder.

Enquired at the highly recommended catholic school about when to put down application for enrollment only to told that they have more kids in the catholic feeder primary schools than they can take.

Looks like - if she doesn't get into the selective in a few years time - we'll be paying the big dollars for a private school. Ah well - that's what I invest for.

So, the moral of the story is that your kids don't have to be catholic, but they do need to go to one of the feeder primary schools to have a hope in "that dark place below" of getting into the high school.

yes, I'm Ok with that. My kids are at there 3rd public school and every single public school has mentioned 'god' as part of the school creed, or/and at every weekly assembly.

If they are fishing for applications, I wouldn't be surprised if they took her in.

Are there any non-catholic private schools in the area? If so that way you can skirt around the baptism issue, or at least have a back-up plan.
Good idea, will look into further, I don't think so.

So, the moral of the story is that your kids don't have to be catholic, but they do need to go to one of the feeder primary schools to have a hope in "that dark place below" of getting into the high school.
I guess that is one good thing, I've heard there are a few kids from my daughters public school who are accepted into the private high school each year. Not sure of their religious backgrounds though.

The catholic privates schools I enquired for when I was looking at private school options years ago, had a list in order of what order your child would be considered for a place.

The bottom rung, (they had a list of about 8 priorities), was being a non catholic. I here what you say about yourself being catholic, but it would be the kids that would have to be catholic to be on the top of the list for acceptance. The catholic schools were so competitive for places that you virtually stood no chance. You would have to enquire at your local school. Sounds promising though handing out enrollement papers, enquire asap....

The bottom line is that private schools can basically set their own rules.

Most Christian church run schools give preference to those with baptism in a Christian faith, not necessarily the same as the school.

Be aware that your child may have compulsory religion classes, and in high school may be required to take religion as a subject.
Marg

Best bet is simply to ask the school directly on the likelihood. Most catholic schools will accept students of different faiths - however preference is given to those of the same faith first (first to those in that particular parish and the to those in other parishes), and then similar faiths second, etc. The school should have a clear policy laid out on where preferences are allocated, and generally have a good idea of predictive numbers.

We aren't catholic and my daughter goes to a catholic school. It is, I feel, the best school in the local area. Each time I went to an open day or enrollment day I sank a little lower in my seat when they kept mentioning baptism certificates etc etc.

BUT I don't know why I was worried because we had to attend an interview with the priest (and the principal) and it was he who told me it is not a good idea to baptise your kids just to get into a certain school. Much better now for our daughter to grow and make her own mind up etc.

Also, not sure if it's just a thing in Vic but he said they do need 5% non-catholics to get the government funding. He was very open about it all, in fact I've found the whole catholic community very open about $ in general.

Speaking of that, you will be 'encouraged' to donate a fair bit of $ to the church etc (even as a non-church goer). But public schools do the same, just differently (ie. fundraising etc)

It depends on how popular the school is.

Our DD has been accepted into a catholic school and there were 9 ranked criteria- we got in on number 3- Catholic in the Zone.

We missed 1. sibling preference and 2. active parishioner.

The current prep grade consists of 3 classes of 20. Next year it will be 3 classes of 24-25 and they had over 100 applications.

Forgot to add- the school was very clear in advising that they are not a feeder school for the nearby catholic high schools- it was up to parents to get themselves on those lists.

Last edited:
we had our eldest child in at a nice catholic primary shool as a non-catholic. so we rang around town to see if any high schools would take her in at the end of primary school.... was a resoundign no. regardless of the feed in arrangements or whatever, they pretty much said we had to be catholic, attend their favourite church and also a preference for living close by. as all the non-catholic private schools are pretty much booked out we have had to take up on offer from when we applied for her at birth (!!) and move suburbs to be closer to that school for her start next year. what a hoo ha. so if we go for a 3rd we will be up for close to $75k a year in non deductible school fees!

we had our eldest child in at a nice catholic primary shool as a non-catholic. so we rang around town to see if any high schools would take her in at the end of primary school.... was a resoundign no. regardless of the feed in arrangements or whatever, they pretty much said we had to be catholic, attend their favourite church and also a preference for living close by. as all the non-catholic private schools are pretty much booked out we have had to take up on offer from when we applied for her at birth (!!) and move suburbs to be closer to that school for her start next year. what a hoo ha. so if we go for a 3rd we will be up for close to $75k a year in non deductible school fees!

Only IF you choose to send them to such a school right ?

If I choose to buy new S CLASS MERC'S, I'd be up for hundreds of 1000's

like the rest of the world, I see a case of "it is what it is" I guess

I find that Anglican schools are far more flexible with your religion. I think they're more interested in the money ;)

I agree (as a product of a Catholic upbringing and an Anglican private education). They also charge twice as much in school fees as the Catholic schools. :)

so if we go for a 3rd we will be up for close to $75k a year in non deductible school fees!

And do you see value in those fees?

IMO, there are plenty of excellent govt schools in Perth if moving was on the cards. Many of which consistently outrank (academically) the private alternatives without baby sitting the kids in the process. Do you see anything wrong with them?

We are currently going through the question of whether we "put names down" for our kids at any of these religious establishments to keep the option open, just in case we completely change our minds about the value they provide. I doubt it but you never know. When so many people spend so much money to be part of the "club" it can be tempting to doubt yourself...

Back on topic, from what I have seen it very much depends on the private school in question. If you tried to get into a Perth Western Suburbs catholic school without a strong catholic link it would be a case of "no chance". Everyone there is looking for a cheaper option to the extortionate private alternatives. Others with less demand would be more amenable to the idea. Just call and ask.

Back