How hard is it to get into a Private School if you're not baptised?

Just googled and picked this up from wikipedia -

The word catholic (derived via Late Latin catholicus, from the Greek adjective καθολικός (katholikos), meaning "universal"[1][2]) comes from the Greek phrase καθόλου (kath'holou), meaning "on the whole," "according to the whole" or "in general", and is a combination of the Greek words κατά meaning "about" and όλος meaning "whole".[3][4] The word in English can mean either "including a wide variety of things; all-embracing" or "of the Roman Catholic faith." as "relating to the historic doctrine and practice of the Western Church."[5]
It was first used to describe the Christian Church in the early 2nd century to emphasize its universal scope. In the context of Christian ecclesiology, it has a rich history and several usages. In non-ecclesiastical use, it derives its English meaning directly from its root, and is currently used to mean
universal or of general interest; or
liberal, having broad interests, or wide sympathies.[6]
inclusive, inviting and containing strong evangelism.

one of the most interesting things I have done was a history tour of Rome. they show you the pagan temples that the catholic church rebranded and talk about the pagan traditions adopted. it helped to put things into perspective.

one of the most interesting things I have done was a history tour of Rome. they show you the pagan temples that the catholic church rebranded and talk about the pagan traditions adopted. it helped to put things into perspective.

What perspective did it give you ? And about 'whom' ?

We chose the school for social reasons, private schools better able to deal with bullies and on the recommendation of his grade 6/7 teacher.

This is about the 3rd time this statement has been made in this thread, and I can tell you from experience it is b.s.

I went to a catholic boys school in a nice suburb of melbourne and got bullied by plenty of other kids (and teachers) and probably handed out a bit of bullying myself in reaction to it. There was a certain macho air about the place which didn't resonate well with me, and also the complete bias towards any clown who was good at sport.
After realising it wasn't for me and also realising most of my friends where at the local high school I transferred there.

Now I wouldn't say there was more or less bullying at the high school, but the teachers were a lot more moderate given that students there seemed to know their rights and the techers knew they couldn't get away with too much. (i.e. Catho school still had capital punishment, high school didn't).

In hindsight the main benefit I saw from the catholic school were the facilities which were much better and the opportunities for things like sports, music etc. But if your kid doesn't lean that way then send them to the local high school.

With two sons bullied, one at co-ed private high school and both at state primary schools, the co-ed private high school dealt with it swiftly and effectively.

The state primary school teacher did deal with the bullying but the headmaster and deputy swept other bullying incidents under the carpet and I know of so many bullying stories at this school that have been ignored, that I am totally disgusted.

It all comes down to who you tell, how they deal with it. I believe private schools do have more clout and power to deal with the bullies. But ten people will have ten different experiences, and we all judge by our own experience.

My hubby (aged 52) went to a catholic boys school and it was pretty rough back then. Bullying and intimidation by other boys, the teaching brothers and "ordinary" teachers too. You had to be pretty tough to get through.

It was one of the reasons we sent our boys to a co-ed school. But others will have their own take on single sex vs co-ed, and again, you have to do what you believe is best for your child.

It is not uncommon for siblings to attend different schools, chosen for reasons that suit each individual child in one family.

There are bad eggs and bullies in every school.

What perspective did it give you ? And about 'whom' ?

well I just had this impression that the catholic religion had been around forever and was forged out of its own history, then you see that it has just been created out of the remains of other beliefs as a tool to control the masses. I think I am church of england.... if the rules dont fit make some new ones - love it! as for getting into catholic schools, if it helps just get batpised or whatver it is - educated individuals can look thru the glaring inadequacies of a religion and take on board principles of conduct.

before the GFC, when I had pleny of time, I was looking to set up a local branch of the Agnostic Church:

http://uctaa.net/church.html

every other religion gets healthy tax breaks and my religious beliefs are no less worthy. I thought it could be a good meeting point and wealth creation point for like minded investors

Re: Bullying - The state schools my children have attended have all had no tolerance for bullying. My kids have experienced the occasional episode and it has swiftly been acted upon.

I'm sure as parents we are influenced by our own experiences to decide what is best for our children. I attended a catholic primary school and a state high school. I hated the high school and would beg my parents to go to a private school. I used to get stalked by feral boys in higher grades. Followed home, phone calls, (stolen?) jewellery left at my house. The school had an excellent reputation academically but I hated the school and harassment. I've always been prepared to send my kids to a private school if it looked like the best option.

I've decided I'm really not ready to move again so I've applied for my daughter to attend the catholic high school. I'll find out soon enough how hard it is! On the application form it did ask what religion both the parents were and what parish they belong to. There is also a section to answer whether your child has been baptised, what religion, and what sacrements they have completed. We will be contacted soon to attend an interview.

well I just had this impression that the catholic religion had been around forever and was forged out of its own history, then you see that it has just been created out of the remains of other beliefs as a tool to control the masses. I think I am church of england.... if the rules dont fit make some new ones - love it! as for getting into catholic schools, if it helps just get batpised or whatver it is - educated individuals can look thru the glaring inadequacies of a religion and take on board principles of conduct.

before the GFC, when I had pleny of time, I was looking to set up a local branch of the Agnostic Church:

http://uctaa.net/church.html

every other religion gets healthy tax breaks and my religious beliefs are no less worthy. I thought it could be a good meeting point and wealth creation point for like minded investors

When you say the Catholic religion, are you refering to the "Roman" Catholic church ?

You do realise that the "Roman" Catholic church is a denomination of Christiaintiy., it is not the pinnacle of it so to speak right ?

Being christian, obviously it didn't exist before Christ - right ? Before Chrsit, the old Testament existed, but not Christianity

As wylie quoted, the "Roman" name was adopted after Rome split form the rest of Christianity at the time.

Perhaps what you are seeing is related to the Roman Catholic church and not all of Christianity

You do realise that the "Roman" Catholic church is a denomination of Christiaintiy., it is not the pinnacle of it so to speak right ?

Being christian, obviously it didn't exist before Christ - right ?

yeh sure. the whole thing is really messed up.

When you say the Catholic religion, are you refering to the "Roman" Catholic church ?

Being christian, obviously it didn't exist before Christ - right ? Before Chrsit, the old Testament existed, but not Christianity

As wylie quoted, the "Roman" name was adopted after Rome split form the rest of Christianity at the time.

Perhaps what you are seeing is related to the Roman Catholic church and not all of Christianity

Catholism is the 'pinacle' of the Christian religions. All christian religions can trace their origins back to this primary christian religion. Of course it was simply known as christianity at the time, because there were no other christian religions around, The name Catholic became more common in its use as the church grew larger and started to encounter differences of opinion and pollitics within the church and amongst various rulers. One of the reasons Catholism was able to spread across Europe in the numbers it did, was because it followed the Roman example of conquest - meaning They realised that the easiest way to infiltrate and recruit members to it's cause, was to adopt and adapt those elements of existing religions where it was able, whilst outlawing and branding everyone who didn't adhere to these new strictures and changes as heretics and penalise them as such. The general populace found it easier to accept changes to their previous religions with them being fitted under this new christian banner.

The first split (from memory) was with the Anglican Church (Church of England), and various other groups splintered off from both of these two central churches. There are some rather large differences and variances in belief and policy between the hundreds of different christian religions that now exist today.

Catholism is the 'pinacle' of the Christian religions. All christian religions can trace their origins back to this primary christian religion. Of course it was simply known as christianity at the time, because there were no other christian religions around, The name Catholic became more common in its use as the church grew larger and started to encounter differences of opinion and pollitics within the church and amongst various rulers. One of the reasons Catholism was able to spread across Europe in the numbers it did, was because it followed the Roman example of conquest - meaning They realised that the easiest way to infiltrate and recruit members to it's cause, was to adopt and adapt those elements of existing religions where it was able, whilst outlawing and branding everyone who didn't adhere to these new strictures and changes as heretics and penalise them as such. The general populace found it easier to accept changes to their previous religions with them being fitted under this new christian banner.

The first split (from memory) was with the Anglican Church (Church of England), and various other groups splintered off from both of these two central churches. There are some rather large differences and variances in belief and policy between the hundreds of different christian religions that now exist today.

Correct

CAtholic is the name of christiaintiy, denoting it's universality

Roman Catholic is the denominnmame given to 1 denominiation which brkoe away form that;

Then others broke away form the Roman Catholic church

Not everyone came moved to "under" the Roman Catholic church when they came about, and not eveyrone is "undetr" the Roman Catholic church now

The original church stills callis itself Catholic, nothing's changesd, they stil believe they are follwoing a the un iversal correct religion, and they don't "report" in any way to the Catholic church.

The church run in the Vatican calls itself the "Roman" Catholic church as they beleive they are more right than the orignal Christian church form which they broke off.

The non "Roman" Catholic Christian religion also spread to many many nations like the "Roman" Catholic did.

How did they manage to spread christiainity for so long withtout the conquest part ?

The splits you refer to in your last paragraph are after the Roman Catholic church split form the rest of Christianity and went their own way..

Later, other denominations split from the ROMAN CATHOLIC church , like the Anglicans, Protestants, Baptists etc - up to a couple of 100 of these denominations now apparently

I think when people see that last paragraph, they think that's all of Christiantiy.

But it's really really not.

Last edited:
On the subject of Which School?

I recently left it too late to apply for the Catholic school as I just couldn't make up my mind.

The local Grammar school is a complete waste of money and the public school has a great reputation.

I'm Atheist, my son had a Naming Ceremony more or less to please my In-laws and my son decided about two years ago that he was too.

He didn't want to go to a Catholic School but as a fairly bright boy, I was concerned he would get lazy in a public school (distraction and tired teachers).

I couldn't lie to the Brother that interviewed me and told him I was non-practising. Needless to say... we are still on the waiting list.

My son has ended up at the public school and received 5 straight A's in his last report. He is absolutely thriving. I recently did the Canteen thing and was suprised at boys that said, "Hello Mrs josko"." Not one of the kids was rude and again, needless to say...I am REALLY impressed.

If I had sent my son to an alternantive Public School about 10k's away.....he would have got the shock of his life. The schools are so bad further North. The demographic of low income families and high unemployment.

In the end....I believe it depends on your demographic and the PARENTS of the children attending the schools.

Regards JO

On the Subject of Invster's post:

I have two friends out of zone, that wrote letters to the school more or less pleading to have their child attend as my son attends the school (this was Primary) and I cared for their children after school. They needed to catch the bus with my children.

They were both accepted...(this was true btw).

If I thought I had to send my son to the school I speak of above 10k's away...I would probably try and get my son baptised. Call it what you will but as I don't believe in baptism and if the religion is stupid enough to enforce it...I would do it.

Regards JO

Being Newie - josko - you've now got me intrigued. Any chance of a PM of which school your son goes to?

I was looking at Grammar and St Phillips if she didn't get into Merewether High ... but open for other suggestions.

The point of religious schools is to teach the way they believe things should be taught

Why if you dont agree with them, that God creted the world in 7 days, etc, woudl you wnzat to send your kid to one of these schools ?

If religious schools are that much better than irreligous or ssecular schools so often, doies that tell us that reliiogn might acutally be right & that's hy reveryone else gets it wrong ?

I just can't see myself lying blatantly to a religion, undertaking something as important to practicers as baptism, joining their faith, just to get my kid into a school whose views I dont agree with (?)

But then I'm also impacted by my uni experience doing two degrees concurrently - one in Elec Eng and the other in Commerce. A LOT of private school grads started with me (would have been over 2/3 of the intake) due to their artificially high tertiary entrance scores courtesy of all the coaching but without someone to hold their hand in such a tough course they fell by the wayside pretty quick. Less than 10% of my peers actually graduating at the end of 5 years would have come from a private school. These results were pretty well mirrored across the "standard' eng grads as well, just to a lesser extent. Anectdotal discussions with more recent grads have indicated nothing much has changed in that respect. First year lectures were held in large ampitheatres and final year lectures in small classrooms...

My uni experience was the same. I did engineering as my undergrad degree and initially there were lots of students from the 'top' private schools, and most of them didn't make it past the first year. All the coaching and support had made them soft, and they flunked out.

For my kid, I'm planning on finding good public schools, then using a private school if I can't get him into a decent public school. He is currently in a very good public primary school, and couldn't be happier, and is getting very good results.

I've also known quite a few people my own age to go through the top private schools here where I live, and many of them seem to have struggled to find happiness. Perhaps they had unrealistic expectations set, or perhaps their parents thought spending $20k a year per kid was some sort of substitute for proper parenting, I don't know. For me, I'd rather raise a kid with a blend of academia, life experience and decision making capability.

The point of religious schools is to teach the way they believe things should be taught

Why if you dont agree with them, that God creted the world in 7 days, etc, woudl you wnzat to send your kid to one of these schools ?

If religious schools are that much better than irreligous or ssecular schools so often, doies that tell us that reliiogn might acutally be right & that's hy reveryone else gets it wrong ?

I just can't see myself lying blatantly to a religion, undertaking something as important to practicers as baptism, joining their faith, just to get my kid into a school whose views I dont agree with (?)

I would guess that the majority of children in any religious school come from familities who don't attend church at all. I know that is my experience. We chose against the local catholic school due to religion being such a big part of things, at least when I went for the interview. Daily mass etc.

Our boys went to an Anglican school because of the community feel, good record, lack of elitism. It had nothing to do with the Anglican religion, and it is not pushed at the school.

They teach about all religions.

If I really needed to baptise my kids to get them into a school of choice, I would do it. We chose not to have them attend catholic high school that hubby went to because to do so meant the local priest had to fill in a form saying what sort of family we are. We met him once when we had our first boy baptised. I was not going to be so hypocritical as to follow through with the farce of the paperwork involved.

Just as many people who actually attend church are hypocrites and don't live by the rules of that church, so it is with schools. I sleep easy at night with our sons having gone to an Anglican church and none of us being Anglican.

I really believe if the church schools insisted on accepting only those children whose families are regular church goers, they would nearly empty.

I would guess that the majority of children in any religious school come from familities who don't attend church at all. I know that is my experience. We chose against the local catholic school due to religion being such a big part of things, at least when I went for the interview. Daily mass etc.

Our boys went to an Anglican school because of the community feel, good record, lack of elitism. It had nothing to do with the Anglican religion, and it is not pushed at the school.

They teach about all religions.

If I really needed to baptise my kids to get them into a school of choice, I would do it. We chose not to have them attend catholic high school that hubby went to because to do so meant the local priest had to fill in a form saying what sort of family we are. We met him once when we had our first boy baptised. I was not going to be so hypocritical as to follow through with the farce of the paperwork involved.

Just as many people who actually attend church are hypocrites and don't live by the rules of that church, so it is with schools. I sleep easy at night with our sons having gone to an Anglican church and none of us being Anglican.

I really believe if the church schools insisted on accepting only those children whose families are regular church goers, they would nearly empty.

Sure they might be empty

But why would people want to send their kids to a school which teaches their kids things that they do not agree with ?

We're suppsed to be conscious adults, you don't find that odd, at all ?

Why would you bapiste your child, make them members of a religion, if you didnt agree with it.. why do that to the child and to the religion ?

If I wanted my son to take up fitness & boxing, but hte only chaptraining wa via the Heall's Angles and my 12 yr old woould have to become a member, get a 1%er tattoo etc - guess, what, my son wouldn't be going to any lessons, end of story.. rather than "lie" to the organisation

Simplifying a bit maybe

Back