HR Managers out there - advice....

Hi all,

Cutting this long story short, I manage a team of 7 full-time staff who on manage around 50 casual staff... Organisationally we don't have a great sytem for reward an recognition but I get allocated $x a year to use. So keen to here your thoughts on the following:

- I have read literature on difference between reward and recognition. So I am keen to provide recognition to staff for acheiveing behavioural goals and doing a good job; and then set some targets for rewards.. OK idea?
- If I only want to recognise 2 or 3 at once, will the others be upset with not being recognised? I would think that it should spur them on to perform better? Wrong???
- Do I make the awarding public, at a team meeting or does the above apply?
- If they all perform well and I give them all something at once, does that take away from the purpose?

Any thoughts from the pro's appreciated and thanks!!

Dos

Hi Dos,

(Not an HR manager) but...

I tend to feel devalued as an employee with the whole public recognition thing b/c I feel I do a great job every day :D. When the 'slackers' get rewarded for actually doing their job for once, I get angry b/c we're all paid the same & they should do a good job every day. This results in me (rather childishly) slacking off that day in rebellion...I know...issues eh?

If you reward publicly, there will always be someone who gets their nose outta joint. Especially if they believe they've done something really well that month & it hasn't been acknowledged. :rolleyes:

I guess it could relate to that Myer Briggs personality test thing as some workers may love the public attention, whereas I don't & would prefer a quiet word from the boss if I've done well & perhaps the arvo off work as a reward? Public recognition DOES NOT spur me on :mad:

(I think Myer Briggs test rocks :D & maybe if you only have 7 employees, you could 'chart' them & tailor a reward to what motivates each individual rather than a one-size-fits-all approach?)

Hope this helps as I know you requested actual HR peoples' points of view :eek:

Regards,
M&M

Perhaps you could reward the whole team when a particular result has been achieved ie pub dinner after work, rather than singling out individual workers?

Yes, yes, thanks for that view!! I didn't consider getting an employee view on here so that is a big help!!

Yes, people do react differently and I am keen to not recognise them for coming in and doing what they are asked. But if they do very well at it and are acheiving better than what I ask then that is to be recognised....

More food for thought - Thanks!!

To avoid the possibility of unfairness, you must make the requirements for the reward open and transparent and equally attainable by all.

That way everyone has an equal chance, and there is no problems with making the awards public.
Marg

Dos,

First up - what are you mechanisms for recognising achievement?

If you have KPI's, are they truly reflective of how an employee has performed?

Unless there are some clear cut, visible performance measures, rewarding particular individuals could be dangerous to morale.

On the other hand, rewarding everyone on achieving group KPI's could be a safer route.

The Y-man

Hi Dos,

Not an HR manager but an owner of a variety of small businesses with up to 20 employees.

Weekly goals for the whole team with smallish rewards given to everyone seemed to work, maybe gift vouchers at Myers or Coles etc We were very basic and mainly blokes, so meat trays for everyone with top quality meat, fillet steak etc were very popular. We even worked our way through good quality screw driver sets, power tools, perfume for the wives etc

Then I moved to smaller staff with some really putting in and others just doing enough :( I kept that very selective but all got an annual thank you. Those in supervisory positions were given an interview with some not confidential information shared with them so that they could go back to their section and appear "in the know" :)

We did pay our good people extra and give them bonus's at specific times. I did find that one big gift every 6 months was far more impressive than a little bit each week. I got more benefit from giving a guy a $500 gift every 6 months than a $20 dollar a week pay rise.

It would also depend on what flexibility you have within your company, some companies would be concerned that a loser is going to cry "I was discriminated against" and others are seeking to find the losers and toss them so don't care.

I do think that you have to be very careful not to discourage those that are really trying their hardest but don't quite have the natural talent to achieve what they would like to achieve. These kind of people are quite often unnoticed until they are sick or on hols and suddenly the place slows dooown........................

The unsung heroes quite often are the glue that makes it work but are not showy enough to get an award. Find the best and think up a reason to give them a biggy :)

A few ideas that may or maynot help but food for thought :D

reward everyone, but vary the amount, and make the amount confidential.

also get feedback from the employees themselves
ask everyone to give some feedback about 2-3 of their co-workers of your choice, and incorporate that feedback into your decision (although beware of un-constructive feedback where people are just pissed off at someone because they forgot to tell them good morning a week ago)

Thanks again for your great advice...

We do have KRA's which are monitored at 6 months and also end of year... generally these aren't "exceeded" but met and pay increases are based on these (not y system but the company's).

My workforce does range in age and expectations so have always been careful to choose appropriate items. Currently, they are all acheiving well in their own areas of business which is making the divison tick along nicely. Hence the idea of giving everyone something to recognise that. My concern was that some may think "oh you are just covering everyone with the same thing".....

At the 6 month review next month I am going to sit down and scope out a reward for performance scheme so that they are set and they know what to aim for. For example, x% or $x ahead then you will get a dinner and show (or nominated reward). For the meantime I will recognise them through a little kick along for the moment but include specifics for each as to what they are being recognised for..... That plan sound ok do you think??

And thanks again for all your thoughts and assistance.

my workplace apparently has a reward and recognition system. Apparrently.

In the last week I have reported four errors which left unnoticed could have resulted in $75,000 losses and gross inefficiencies. Reward/recog: Nothing.

Other worker who is a lazy SOB makes a mistake and near the end of shift notices it and fixes it. Mistake in the order of $100's. Rewarded.

From my interpretation of this it makes me think I have to start making mistakes around here and stop reporting systematic errors.

Just remember consistency and transparency is key.

my workplace apparently has a reward and recognition system. Apparrently.

In the last week I have reported four errors which left unnoticed could have resulted in $75,000 losses and gross inefficiencies. Reward/recog: Nothing.

Other worker who is a lazy SOB makes a mistake and near the end of shift notices it and fixes it. Mistake in the order of $100's. Rewarded.

From my interpretation of this it makes me think I have to start making mistakes around here and stop reporting systematic errors.

Just remember consistency and transparency is key.

That really sucks.

But HR people are just human too.

Maybe the SOB needed a lollipop to make him work better but you are seen as a mature and capable employee who is above needing such things?

But if you feel strongly about the unfairness then why not tell someone? Is unfair to expect them to know everything :)

When I was an Army Officer I would hand out praise to the junior guys who were obviously making an effort quite freely, I would also quite frankly hand out cheerful criticism to those who weren't (worked in our culture but be careful using it in normal life).

But making an effort was what I expected of my senior staff on a daily basis. They didn't miss out though as they had an annual reporting instrument that was crucial to getting them promoted and gave very detailed feedback.

Hi all,

Just thought I would provide an update on this one seeing as you were all so kind to provide advice.

So as a group, I took everyone to lunch to celebrate our mid year acheivements. This was well received by all staff and enjoyed being recognised.

At the mid year review with individuals, I set targets with them (not for them) to acheive to receive a reward. We also negotiated the reward so they were working towards something they wanted.

2 have come up with the goods and received their rewards. It has been a good exercise in seeing what motivates staff and it is working well so far. My fear of others seeing others getting something has meant that they are working harder to also get some rewards....

Dos

Hi there Dos,

Sounds like you've found something that works for your team which is great.

Personally for me I like to feel appreciated in my job and the companies Ive worked for which Ive like the best have a culture where employees are encouraged and recognised for their efforts (not necessaryily with financial rewards)

My current workplace does the KPI and development plan thing which is then linked to how much you get as your bonus and salary increase at the end of the year. However they're also very big on encouraging peer to peer recognition and feedback which to me - having previously worked for companies where zero feedback was the norm - is an even bigger win than the KPI stuff. It's mandatory for each team to have a quick morning meeting (led by their manager) where we discuss the 'game plan' for the day, get business updates by our manager, and get the opportunity to recognise other coworkers that may have gone out of their way to help you with something or where you have noticed they have done something great. Personally I find this a better motivator than a once a year bonus payment and its really nice to be recognised for the everyday little things (especially in front of mangement!)that otherwise would go un-noticed :)

Last edited:
I think the key for managers is that everyones need for recognition is different. I manage a team throughout the AsiaPacific, who are involved in sales/ business development. One of my team is completely dependent upon recognition and competition. Another wants the opportunity to develop skills/ gain extra education etc. Some want a quiet word... others want something flashy. Some want recognition for each little thing they do, others for longer term goals. I personally like financial bonuses !! But I also don't need alot of external recognition... I'm happy if the sales and profitability are on track, and I can see myself that I'm doing a good job. If I dont feel like I'm achieving, it doesnt matter what anyone else says to me.
So, its good if you can draw out from your team what they are looking for. I've found the Gallup Strength Finders and Employee Engagement information really helpful to structure both job responsibilities and reward structures which are appropriate for each person.
I also just started a recognition scheme (which is purely recognition. a thank you email and a certificate!. no financial reward), where I've asked my team to nominate someone that they think should receive an award for outstanding performance, and then I select the winner from those nominatinos. (my recognition/ competition guy is struggling cause no-one nominated him yet!! :) ) Its a nice way to see performance, which as a manager you might otherwise miss.
cheers
Pen

Back