I bought my dream car!

Ha! Y-man sounds like you have done some track work! :cool:

I think there's a few of us on this forum who have done varying degrees of stuff at club or comp level - 2 and 4 wheels ....

I used to do dirt stuff on a Galant VR4 (in the days before the advent of the Imprezza and Lancer) and bitumen on a Bimmer 3 series....

The Y-man

I think there's a few of us on this forum who have done varying degrees of stuff at club or comp level - 2 and 4 wheels ....

I used to do dirt stuff on a Galant VR4 (in the days before the advent of the Imprezza and Lancer) and bitumen on a Bimmer 3 series....

The Y-man

Cool! I would love to do club track days but dont really want another expensive hobby until secure property and get seattled in. :D

My first car was a Datsun 260z, miss the rust bucket :D

I purchased a Toyota Aurion, i love it.

Nice choice! As I cop I get to drive new Falcons, Commodores, Camrys, Mondeos etc and without a doubt the best car I have driven at work in recent years is the unmarked Toyota Aurion V6 that we have. Difficult to pick as cop car as well :D

Y-man you bring back memories

especially the aircon when I was sent to the big smoke to buy a family car.

I rolled up back home and after being away for a week with the new ride.
Family checked her out in the driveway, first question asked the wife is where's the aircon, she was p***ed off, so I hand her the keys and off she took.

She came back with a big smile on her face and said who needs air conditioning.

It was a A9X in 1988 21Klms, the only car I made money on paid 11K and sold it for 19K, three year later, wish I still had it.

That in fact is one of my key criterea for a dream car these days..... I found that driving a track ready car on the road had several issues:

1. Police seem to pull you over more often when you have a 6 point harness, racing seat, and are sitting with your eyeline just over the dash (so you don't keep whacking your helmet againt the full roll cage...)

2. getting in and out at your destination gracefully from said seating position in point 1 not so easy in anything other than a racing suit.

3. Trying to parallel park while in said seating position described in point 1, as well as big rear wing near impossible without a pit crew member guiding you....

4. Clutch heavy in traffic jams..... Luckily I had a normal one. Carbon multi plates are a dog in traffic - you'll burn them if you ride them, so it is basically redline and drop it - and hope the car in front has moved sufficiently...

5. Fuel - having to plan your trips based on where the correct fuel will be available before you run dry is irritating. (ok, ok, exaggerating - program your ecu to run lean....)

6. Interesting side effect of low suspension setup and splitters - can not get into every petrol station mentioned in point 5 due to angle on driveway. Also may not necessarily complete all speed hum crossings without losing various bits of aerodynamic aid and componentry.

7. Interesting side effect of stiff suspension/chassis set up - bent wheels when going over rail way crossings. Also broke engine mounts regularly.

8. If you are running hi temp brakes, they need to get hot before they work. Forget corbon discs or pads on the road - just does not work at legal speed limits. I found ceramic pads on steel rotors are a good compromise :)

9. Radio/CD/any entertainment?? Come to think of it, where's the aircon!

10. Passengers seem to have a hard time sitting on the floorpan with the fire extinguisher (no seat...)

11. Catalytic converter - oh, you need one of those? Damn!

12. People think it is fun to play with the switches on the outside of the car with the red or blue triangle pointing to them :mad:

The Y-Man

Y-man you bring back memories

It was a A9X in 1988 21Klms, the only car I made money on paid 11K and sold it for 19K, three year later, wish I still had it.

Hmm memories indeed! haha my 260z had the aircon pulled out before I owned it. Had to have a blanket or two and a thick jacket for the cold icy drives home from uni at night..

Actually I was given a free AE92 1991 Corolla recently... was pretty impressed with how it accelerates and the sporty feel.. first time driving a kind of sporty good 4 Cyl.

Funny how people are proud of the frugality towards buying a car but not their safety.

I shower once a week! Save $2/week in water fees!!!
I bought my dream car, $2000... but a little push from a semi-trailer will put me in hospital... Yeah save!!!

It seems we're being frugal so we can eventually reach a point where we have enough assets to never worry about being frugal.. The problem for many is the frugality goes with them to their death bed. I know people who earn $500k/year doing NOTHING (huge term deposit), but they're so old now, they've lived frugal their own life and amassed this fortune.. They haven't enjoyed anything in life.. No holidays, no new cars, no fancy restaurants... Die with no life experience except with a huge bank balance.. for their kids to spend.

Funny how people are proud of the frugality towards buying a car but not their safety.

I shower once a week! Save $2/week in water fees!!!
I bought my dream car, $2000... but a little push from a semi-trailer will put me in hospital... Yeah save!!!

It seems we're being frugal so we can eventually reach a point where we have enough assets to never worry about being frugal.. The problem for many is the frugality goes with them to their death bed. I know people who earn $500k/year doing NOTHING (huge term deposit), but they're so old now, they've lived frugal their own life and amassed this fortune.. They haven't enjoyed anything in life.. No holidays, no new cars, no fancy restaurants... Die with no life experience except with a huge bank balance.. for their kids to spend.
Are any of these kids female, attractive, not so bright, suffering from some genetic disorder that will knock them off pronto and inclined to marry amusing manly men without benefit of a prenuptual agreement?

If so forward their details to [email protected]

ta muchly

your friend,
OA

Spot on there cloudyday! One of my favourite quotes is along the lines of: There's no point being the richest man in the graveyard!

I'm trading my 98 Corolla in at the end of May for an 06 Subaru Liberty. Whilst it's not my dream car, I'll be more than happy with it over the next few years. Main reasons are performance and safety as I'm usually doing highway KMs.

Are any of these kids female, attractive, not so bright, suffering from some genetic disorder that will knock them off pronto and inclined to marry amusing manly men without benefit of a prenuptual agreement?

If so forward their details to [email protected]

ta muchly

your friend,
OA

lol... The old man has a female daughter. He is zen master frugal but his daughter is Paris Hilton #2. She spends like there is no tomorrow. Has a boyfriend. Bought a brand new car for the boyfriend, boyfriend has a huge gambling issue. They constantly fight. The daughter gets played around like a servant, so much for the ability of wealth controlling people? What surprises me is how the old man can be so tight but let the daughter spend money like it's going out of fashion. The old man flies economy, yet his daughter goes first class every time. :confused:

Old man has worked hard his whole life, being so frugal and now his daughter just rapes his bank. Wonder how long it will take after his death before the money gets all used up?

lol... The old man has a female daughter. He is zen master frugal but his daughter is Paris Hilton #2. She spends like there is no tomorrow. Has a boyfriend. Bought a brand new car for the boyfriend, boyfriend has a huge gambling issue. They constantly fight. The daughter gets played around like a servant, so much for the ability of wealth controlling people? What surprises me is how the old man can be so tight but let the daughter spend money like it's going out of fashion. The old man flies economy, yet his daughter goes first class every time. :confused:

Old man has worked hard his whole life, being so frugal and now his daughter just rapes his bank. Wonder how long it will take after his death before the money gets all used up?

Easy.. the dad loves his cvhildren and did what he did sdo his children wouldnt have to go through what he did.

The daughter has a different view of life due to her different experiences than her dadf course hed hope that the kis would be repsonbile and leanr form it etc... but life dont; work out the wy we hope in all aspects , easpecially each step of the way

Being an avid car collector and investor in cars I really enjoy these types of threads.

Y-man, definitely love the Evo's. At least over here I don't get hassled driving a race car on the streets.

Nothing wrong with buying new cars for cash especially when they cost less than 5yr old models in OZ and can be sold for more than what I paid.

A landcruiser is not just a landcruiser especially when it can take you anywhere around oz and has over 650K on the speedo plus you have driven it from new with original engine and most running parts.

Being a firm believer in the typical stereotype aussie household of 2 cars per home I have to keep buying properties to keep up with my cars.

Merc 63 is okay but wait until you have driven a Mclaren.

Every once in a while meet some greenie who tells me Im destroying the environment having so many cars. Then they get re-educated.

1) can only drive one car at a time so no more pollution or resources used than someone owning 1 car.

2) I help keep the economy rolling along through services, oil changes, providing jobs for mechanics, car detailers, insurance workers etc.

3) my 4WD's help keep necessary fire trails and tracks open whilst allowing me to see isolated parts of this beautiful country we live in.

3) my 4WD's help keep necessary fire trails and tracks open whilst allowing me to see isolated parts of this beautiful country we live in.

Keep trying to get the capex through for a good 4WD, but the boss keeps rejecting it.

Will try to use this as a justificaiton next time.... after all it's just a Pajero.....a bit "modified".........and she might ask why on earth we need something that can top 200 km/h going over all types of terrain..... :D

The Y-man

Attachments

• Mitsubishi_Pajero_Paris-Dakar_2006_rear.jpg
    Mitsubishi_Pajero_Paris-Dakar_2006_rear.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 52
A car is a car is a car! If it gets the family, the shopping, the bikes and the dog from A to B then it's a good one.

Unlike a motorcycle - a Ducati, for example, is a work of art! If you are looking for a road "experience" in getting from A to B then try a Monster... mmmmmm!!

Of course if you just want cheap, practical, everyday transport and insist on buying new then you really can't go past a CRX3. Can't be beaten!

:)
Everybody, EVERYBODY falls off the motorbikes. What you need to worry about is how hard will the fall be, not if you fall, because you will.

I take sports cars over bikes any day, at least a slight nudge won't send you flying down the road.

Back on topic, I currently drive a near new model Corolla, awesome, reliable little car that has loads of room. However, I may soon be upgrading to Toyota FT86
Toyota-FT-86-Concept-9.jpg

It should be released in 2012 and will go for $45,000 or so... always pay cash for cars.

Just bought my first new car back in March.

VW Golf R.

Well, I say bought. I mean done on a novated lease.

Works out highly cost effective for me and minimises my tax rate, which takes me down a bracket.

Plus, I love driving. It is my thing. I only have space for one car, so I needed a car that could drive to meetings without raising an eyebrow but could also do track work when I wanted to.

Just bought my first new car back in March.

VW Golf R.

Well, I say bought. I mean done on a novated lease.

Works out highly cost effective for me and minimises my tax rate, which takes me down a bracket.

Plus, I love driving. It is my thing. I only have space for one car, so I needed a car that could drive to meetings without raising an eyebrow but could also do track work when I wanted to.

I looked at the R when I went car shopping earlier this year (bought a new WRX), and the guy at VW said there would be a year waiting time for delivery!

Found the Touareg not as good off-road as i thought a few weeks ago! Though admitedly, most things would have got stuck here...

Attachments

• 270801_10150210546853037_600768036_7336825_5965270_n[1].jpg
    270801_10150210546853037_600768036_7336825_5965270_n[1].jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 60
I looked at the R when I went car shopping earlier this year (bought a new WRX), and the guy at VW said there would be a year waiting time for delivery!

Yeah, I placed an order with a 3 month ETA. That blew into 6 months, then 12 months.

Cancelled the order and bought a new dealer stock that was basically identical for a good price interstate.

WRX is a good choice. I was looking at one as well, but insurance was a killer. Insurance on the R is actually cheaper than a GTI.

Found the Touareg not as good off-road as i thought a few weeks ago! Though admitedly, most things would have got stuck here...

I was stopped by a Landcruiser driver on the road down to Sofala. Apparently it is a 4WD track and only real cars can do it.

Being a local I'm sure you can appreciate the humour in that comment.

It's a good quality dirt road. A Porsche could do it without a problem.

Back