I bought my dream car!

Thing is though, most of them ownt do nything more productive if not doing that.

So saving and obsessing on the car is the something productive.

Jaycee, it may be true but I've long ago learnt to "live and let live".

Look on the bright side: It's another customer for a LL.
Even brighter side, when they can no longer afford it, you can buy it real cheap.
An the best side, if the car sends them broke, you can buy the car and the house cheap, and rent it back to them.

So what's the problem with people borrowing too much for a car?
Me thinks it's all good.

Oh poor lil Skater, I'm sure you can save for one soon. If it makes you feel any better I only ride a bike as every time I have had enough money to buy a reasonable car I put it on property instead. If I had it my way, everyone would own a skateboard or bike. Long distance travel would be by plane, train or ship. :)

Haha, first i have to figure out my finances before i can even think of buying a car!

I didn't exactly blow it up, but i killed the engine. I still think that car's should make their own oil and water :p

OK, got out this morning in the newie.....
what bugs me about new stuff is the time and energy involved in the learning curve, and changing old ingrained habits.

This thing has all these controls over the steering wheel for gps, blue tooth phone control, etc. and the seat adjusts automatically to the one driver it thinks owns the key....each driver is supposed to have their own key....and the hand brake isa foot brake.....all this stuff takes head space to adjust to.

we were doing auctions and ofi's this morn so the gps got a workout.....some good points about it, but has anyone got a gps that has voice recognition?

I loved my first car which cost $200. Loved the next few as well.

But when I bought my first property then got married etc cars just became something to get me and mine around in.

Maybe those people you see obsessing over their little cars are those with very little else, those who see their car as their "investment".

Perhaps buying much biger things that actually go up in value puts car ownership in a new perspective?

Not sure - just thinking out loud.

What do you reckon?

Simon, I'm reminded of one brand's catchphrase: "Sheer driving pleasure". I think some people (myself included) just find driving more 'fun' than others. Sometimes even if I have nowhere to go, I get the urge to drive around, because I really enjoy it. I guess having an expensive car would add to that experience. A car for me isn't just about getting from A to B. It's also a lot about getting from A to A in the funnest way possible.

Simon, I'm reminded of one brand's catchphrase: "Sheer driving pleasure". I think some people (myself included) just find driving more 'fun' than others. Sometimes even if I have nowhere to go, I get the urge to drive around, because I really enjoy it. I guess having an expensive car would add to that experience. A car for me isn't just about getting from A to B. It's also a lot about getting from A to A in the funnest way possible.

I get that.

I was to referring to people spending their time looking after some piece of junk that someone was posting about above - I should have quoted.

I have a couple of dream cars - they are not even that expensive and I could buy them tomorrow. But they are all roadsters and I got to wait until my daughters grow up.

I could buy them tomorrow. But ... I got to wait

If I could afford my dream car, I'd have to wait, because my single-car garage is slightly too small to house it. So these days I dream about a bigger lock-up garage, almost as much as I dream about nice cars :)

I have purchased brand new vehicles in the past,however knowing that they are worth less and less every day is something I find hard to take.
The tax benefits are not worth speaking about,better to own than lease or hire purchase IMHO.

I have made it a habit in the last ten years of buying my vehicles approx two years old,
I don't like cheap ****,so what I do is find the most expensive vehicle secondhand,usually private sale,ebay or whatever.
A lot like buying a house "always" under market value.

Top of the line is "my" only way to go,
Holden Statesmans are my favorite,
I have a nice black one for my own personal ride.
I keep them for around 6 years,paying cash when I purchase them.
Pajero Exceed turbo diesel (9 Seater) as my family and tow vehicle for my 2006 off road Outback Expanda van.
Also a ford transit "dual cab" turbo diesel for my work vehicle (Six seater)

All vehicles are full comprehensive insured with RACQ insurance for around $1900 year all up.
No other payments ,except maintenance and rego as all are owned outright.
This way it doesn't hinder my bank borrowing capabilities.

Or rather, he can afford to pay cash, so doesn't racl up another loan which does reduce borrowing ability.. Assetts -$40k loan=nett assetts=$40k lower than before

But also, a reduction of savings by the same amount would reduce borrwing ability, by the same amount.Assets -$40k withdrawal = nett assetts=$40k lower than before

painter may have enough cash it doesn't matter, which of course is a different scenario.

The banks see owning a car as the ability to save cash or make regular payments. A car is in no way a financial asset as it's probably the biggest expense you'll have after rent and food. Of course, without a car most of us would struggle to earn money, so it may be an investment in that respect.

The banks see owning a car as the ability to save cash or make regular payments. A car is in no way a financial asset as it's probably the biggest expense you'll have after rent and food. Of course, without a car most of us would struggle to earn money, so it may be an investment in that respect.
Unless of course it is a genuine business vehicle then it is classed as good debt :D

Haha, first i have to figure out my finances before i can even think of buying a car!

I didn't exactly blow it up, but i killed the engine. I still think that car's should make their own oil and water :p

lol when i bought my first car i blew up my radiator! When learning to drive they should also teach basic car maintenance too i reckon

I always had duct tape and cable ties in my car. I dunno how many times they saved me! My first car was a 1989 Ford Laser TX3, still my most loved car...was sad to see her go lol.

Sure thing, I think I'm close to a million Km travelled, and still luvvit.
It's just strange that some people have hangups about cars others drive and assume "he borrowed ### watta dummas" or "he thinks he's better cause his car is flash" or "a crapper is good enuff for me, so wats wrong with you?".

Just spent $400 fixing my car up so it'd pass for rego - got it passed last year without a muffler somehow.. didn't work this year, so I had to get a muffler put on a fixed a couple of other things up.

That's $3k down the drain! Better get another couple of years out of this thing now so I get my money's worth.

Back