I hate the Labor government

You're a bit of a narcissist aren't you Alex?

No, just a realist who was lucky with the timing. I believe in using the rules to my own benefit.

I just don't see the point of sitting around complaining about government policies. Why not use them to your own advantage?
Alex

No, just a realist who was lucky with the timing. I believe in using the rules to my own benefit.

I just don't see the point of sitting around complaining about government policies. Why not use them to your own advantage?
Alex

You might thought you were lucky, but in hindsight it was only natural that you got good exchange rate because Australia wasn't in such a great shape back then. I was in Japan too when you were there. The only difference is, we were exactly at the opposite end since I was a student and had to spend AUD :p

Anyway to most of you out there who are trying to better yourselves through your own hard work, as I have said before, good on all of you. We need more people like you...
Agree, it's unfortunate but the Aussie way tends to mean those that move out of the crowd are kicked back into submission, we as a collective whole do tend to chop our tall poppies down. Oh well .....

If you want to be a tall poppy wind your self around in circles so your head doesn't stick out of the crowd too much. Keep your profile low and no one will know.

cheers
quoll

Australia's lifestyle is great. Which is why I will come back. In my opinion, better be like those rich immigrants from Asia and Europe. Retired with plenty of cash. You'll live a great life... great weather and great food...

For me the things that I want to do and enjoy whilst I am still young, healthy and full of energy far outweighs the loaded lifestyle I want to achieve when I am old, grey and retired.

I cant put a monetary value on my day to day enjoyment and getting what I want "now" and I cant find a better country to do that than Aus.

So like Alex, I will manage to extract most out of whatever opportunities there are with either a great gov or a crappy government.

Harris

However, NY and London has always been the place to further one's career in my profession.

Australia's lifestyle is great. Which is why I will come back. In my opinion, better be like those rich immigrants from Asia and Europe. Retired with plenty of cash. You'll live a great life... great weather and great food...

By the sounds of it your need to learn more, head OS, do what you need to do, everyone has their own path to follow. It sounds like you will come back home as you do appreciate the good points about Oz.

Cheers
Graeme

dude... not lost hope at all. always have played by the rules and exploited the rules. doesn't mean one can't have a rant though.

Good to see the attitude, bit hard to have a beer and chat online, the liquid bit doesn't get digitised very well.

cheers
Graeme

I'll have a beer when I get home.

Sherman Ermen

Maybe instead of complaining you should take a year off and travel to third world countries and meet people that wuld give there right arm to live in Australia. Tell them you are cheesed off about your laptop being taxed.

You are right to have a beef if you are not happy but surely the reaction needs to be proportional to the problem.

But then again you are a liberal voter..not known for your wider view on things - haha!

Regards
Aussie

Alex

Ermen Alex is one of my favourite posters, he tells it like it is, he is practical, pragmatic and level headed. As I am a bit more on the emotional side with things that change with my investments, I draw a lot of comfort from Alex's realistic approach and thank god we have him hear at Somersoft.

Alex is one of my favourite posters, he tells it like it is, he is practical, pragmatic and level headed. As I am a bit more on the emotional side with things that change with my investments, I draw a lot of comfort from Alex's realistic approach and thank god we have him hear at Somersoft.

I agree with this post

All this complaining about the budget is pathetic. It was a bloody good budget - people don't know what a bad budget is in this country.

Why on earth should a couple with plenty of money receive a baby bonus? People are so greedy - my parents had three children on one average income and never expected cash grants in return! Are children meant to be taxpayer-funded profit centres - have we lost our minds???

Maybe instead of complaining you should take a year off and travel to third world countries and meet people that wuld give there right arm to live in Australia. Tell them you are cheesed off about your laptop being taxed.

That's a pretty irrelevant argument.

Same as when someone leaves food on their plate and a person brings up the "there are people in Africa who are starving..."

Its not irrelevent.

I was referring to the politics in many 3rd world nations not the starvation.

I have been to over 40 countries some of which people are denied many human rights including the right to vote. The idea that someone would leave Australia for idealogical reasons related to this budget is absurd.

cheers
Aussie

The pound only gets you about A$2 these days. When I was there, it hit $3 at one point, and I still averaged about $2.75. That's a 25% discount to any savings. And it's a lot more expensive than it used to me, especially in terms of council rates.

I was just there (in London) a few days ago... Taking some profit for Travellex into account, my rate was about $2.40 per pound.

I found some things are crazy expensive ($14 for a meal at KFC, $10 minimum ticket for underground train even if you're going 1 stop), but there's also a fair few things that worked out to be the same price as Aus (milk, bread, etc).

If I were going to run away in protest of the Labor government, I'd personally choose Hong Kong.

Its not irrelevent.

I was referring to the politics in many 3rd world nations not the starvation.

I have been to over 40 countries some of which people are denied many human rights including the right to vote. The idea that someone would leave Australia for idealogical reasons related to this budget is absurd.

cheers
Aussie

I understand what you meant, and realise that the micro issues with our politics may pale to issues in politically unstable countries - but that doesn't mean our concerns about our are less valid. We aren't effected by the politics of Zimbabwe, we are effected by KRudd and his round of changes. So my point is, it's irrelevant to bring issues like people in other countries not being able to vote at all - that's not the way it is here, so not really relevant.

I do agree with you however that leaving Aust. due to budget changes here would be extreme.

I found some things are crazy expensive ($14 for a meal at KFC, $10 minimum ticket for underground train even if you're going 1 stop), but there's also a fair few things that worked out to be the same price as Aus (milk, bread, etc).

hmmmm I don't pay that much attention, but I thought an upsized meal at KFC here costs me about $11-12?

From my own experience, if you make, say, $60k here, you'd make around 30k pounds in London.

So using that as a guide, KFC which costs 5 or 6 quid in London would equate to about $12 here. If you ask me, food can be cheaper in London.
Alex

Things would really have to change big time for Australia to be a crap country to live in.
I'd like to see that! :D
All this complaining about the budget is pathetic. It was a bloody good budget - people don't know what a bad budget is in this country.
Yep, methinks time has come again to "count our blessings". No, I don't think things are remotely perfect, but I do think one should keep things in perspective, and threatening to emigrate is just ludicrous. (I can't even imagine which aspect of the Budget could possibly go close to justifying such a dramatic response. :confused:)

on leaving

To clarify, high tax rates in australia is the main reason as to why i am choosing to leave Australia. The disapointment of the budget last night has added to that resolve. I have a suspicion that things may not get better over the next 2 years

Australia is a great place to live, relatively egalitarian and the people are (generally) great. Only thing is the tax is too high. Rightly so, I am choosing to vote with my feet. I'm not pretending to be part of the intelligentsia of the country, but I suspect many of the Australian intelligentsia remain offshore due to the complicated and high tax regime. Ultimately, this would hurt society as a whole.

On a seperate note, I give a portion of rent to a charity that supports the homeless (I believe that if I had the privelege of owning property, I should spare a thought of those who can't put a roof over their head). However, from time to time, I see homeless people sitting outside my street and drinking. Now that is discouraging. It makes you wonder whether your donated funds are used in vain...

Back