WA State election is today

Talk being bandied around by the journo's is that the Nationals want 25% of mining royalties to go directly back into the regional areas, and either the Libs or Labor will offer Nationals Brendan Gryll, the deputy leadership position.

Suppose time will reveal all.

Mmmm - I thought that WA's mining royalties were taken into account when they were given Federal Government funding - i.e. they received less from the Feds because of all the loot from the mines??? If that is the case, then it will be interesting to see the Labor and Lib responses to Brendon Grylls' 'demands' .....

Cheers
LynnH

Some of the royalties are federal anyway.

Grylls' demands are for the benefit of all regional areas, including farming communities as well as mining spots.
He has a good point. There has been precious little put back into these regional communities.
Some of them resemble nothing better than shanty towns despite the 'wealth' that they generate.
There are not enough votes in these places to count, hence the govt. leaders and decisions makers who reside in the city don't give a toss for their welfare or sustainability.
Kudos to Brendan for sticking to his guns and demanding more for the 'rest' of WA

kp

well after a week of having no government WA is now liberal territory... politics in this country swings from one laclustre party to the next. change will be good for WA tho, labor has squandered our opportuinites for too long now

Ausprop, Rick

Would you care to elaborate a little further? I gather Grylls decided to back the Libs - what were his reasons?

Cheers
LynnH

Ausprop, Rick

Would you care to elaborate a little further? I gather Grylls decided to back the Libs - what were his reasons?

Lynn, apart from benifits into the regional areas the nationals supported the Liberals to form government because it would give them the balance of power in both houses of the WA Parliament.

also sounds like Grylls was threatened form the fed nationals that to side with labor would be treason. it didn't sound feasible anyway.

so... if you own uranium stocks happy days! they are saying that the libs can afford Grylls demands from the royalties that will flow from uranium mining. Now only if this country were smart enough to value add to the digging of the dirt we could be on a winner. By powering the globe we could pay our way in this world. Dont worry, will never happen.

saw a documentary about the making of the A380. the president of airbus was unashamed in saying the whole project was about money, reckons the eventual market could be USD $480 billion... makes our resources 'boom' like like a kids sand pit. oh well, as long as I have my 4x2 on 600sqm and a ute she'll be right

IM MOVING TO WA NOW!

seems the tides are turning, which was always expected... come on NSW.

NSW had massive local government swing with our election this weekend... all good signs.

Rick, Ausprop

Thanks, guys, for that - can't believe how little of that info is filtering through to the eastern states! :confused: Would you believe that the Ch9 news tonight did not even mention the WA election result/decision at all???

Seems that there are going to be some interesting times ahead politically in the coming months/years.

Cheers
Lynn

can't believe how little of that info is filtering through to the eastern states! :confused: Would you believe that the Ch9 news tonight did not even mention the WA election result/decision at all???

Yes I would Lynn.

the election result is trying to be downplayed - it's very clear when even The Australian doesn't even mention it.

unsure as to why though - but they both look like smug lil' ba5tard5 now...

ACT are due their own elect soon and i think all of the swinging lab voters are thinking, oops ! made a mistake! they did'nt have a magic wand after all.

does seem suss, like a media black out. even from just as a point of interest regarding the working of the constitution it has been newsworthy

...people do not like to be messed around with, and Labour has done just that over the last (quite a)few years at State level....federally..they just wanted change....jury still out on that one.....;)

Do we not all know about cycles...?

What comes around....

Back