I like the other Forum better

Would consider another forum, I'm trying to research outer melbourne yet everyone here is staying rather quiet on where to buy!

The problem with "that" forum is there's no discussion, it's more or less spammed pages of bear articles talking about bubbles and whatnot. Haven't been able to find a single thing on Melbourne there either. Whirlpool is less reserved but too many negative dreamers, it's not really a property forum.

A year ago people were happily discussing Richmond, Elwood, Ringwood, Croydon, Chadstone, Balwyn etc, now all you see is Thomastown, Epping, Broadmeadows, Deer Park and Sunshine.. investment in the outer east/se must be non-existent!

Do you own leg work. Not depend on this forum to spoon feed you..

off course you can be a member of as many forums or groups as you want.

You don't need anyone's permission to prefer one over the other.

Most of your education will come from your own research, your own experience and forming your own ideas - people's opinions only have entertainment value.

I wouldn't say peoples opinions have only y entertainment value.. That's somewhat demeaning!

I try to learn something from everyone I meet.

Would consider another forum, I'm trying to research outer melbourne yet everyone here is staying rather quiet on where to buy!

A year ago people were happily discussing Richmond, Elwood, Ringwood, Croydon, Chadstone, Balwyn etc, now all you see is Thomastown, Epping, Broadmeadows, Deer Park and Sunshine.. investment in the outer east/se must be non-existent!

Perhaps there is a good reason for that? People have moved on to other areas and no longer consider the areas you mention to be good value?

To be honest with you I have found another Aussie property investment forum which is more informative.
This one is ok but is there anything wrong with using all of them?

Depends on what you class as informative,there are a lot of one man lady sites out there,but a lot are just sales fronts caught in a mental treadmill,were as this site a lot of skills transfer for free..

Mentioning the address of the other forum here can get you into hot water with the mods.

Given the supposedly altruistic intentions of the Somers family who have so kindly funded this site, there should be no difficulty with us forumites talking about rival forums. Or should there?

Nobody gets in trouble for mentioning other forums.

There is one particular forum (not the one actually being discussed here by the OP) where we do block links - but that's only because we had a lot of trouble with that site a few years back with troll attacks.

You don't actually get in trouble for mentioning it - we just don't permit people to link to it.

Excluding sites like Whirlpool, Reddit, Facebook etc - where property discussion is incidental rather than the main purpose - there are only two serious property discussion forums in Australia - Somersoft and propertyinvesting.com

There are other investment or finance related sites which discuss property as well (InvestEd, plus some of the shares forums), but it is not a focussed discussion like it is here and on propertyinvesting.com

I believe some of the magazines have discussion forums as well - but from what I've seen, they are small and don't see much traffic.

so many other ways to accomplish the same ends

I like gloomers,
as long as gloomers predict collapse, its time to buy
If they go 'told you so', consolidate​

Make up your own mind on which forum you want to use, it wont change where I am (which could be a positive).

Taking a snap shot of stats;

SS - 322 users online
PI - 102 users online
(3x more)

Threads updated in last 24 hours

SS - 15 out of 20 (75%) - of which 11 were updated in last hour
PI - 4 out of 15 (26.66%) - only one in the last hour

(3x more activity)

Total topics (approx.)

SS - 98.1k
PI - 47.3k

(2x more topics)

Total Posts (approx.)

SS - 1,272,000
PI - 343,700

(3.7x more)

Avg post per topic

SS - 12.97
PI - 7.27

(Nearly 2x)

Most members online

SS - Most users ever online was 2,410, 01-05-2015 at 04:58 PM (Source: http://somersoft.com/forums/index.php)
PI - Most users ever online were 553, on August 13, 2014 @ 12:00 pm (Source: http://www.propertyinvesting.com/users-online/)

(4.3x more)

Your call but I know where I am staying...

Also was just looking around and it wants me to join and ive been on the site for like 10 mins. Somersoft is free for people just to read don't need to sign up to read.

That other forum isn't moderated very well. People tend to get into stupid arguments and belittle each other a lot.

That attitude doesn't fly here, which I am very grateful of.

Not many places you can come to on the internet and only get intelligent and constructive conversation.

Not that our hands are tied completely here, criticism is still allowed, but none of that personal attack BS.

I've not been to PI for a long time. I joined it first, found a hint of "another forum" and found SS after asking what the "other forum" was.

I find SS vs PI a bit like comparing Weekend Australian vs Courier Mail :D.

Whirlpool is a great forum if you enjoy analysing hypothetical economic scenarios such as "when interest rates rise back up to 20% like 1992 you are all doomed"

To be honest with you I have found another Aussie property investment forum which is more informative.
This one is ok but is there anything wrong with using all of them?

This is one of the weirdest threads I have read? It's like saying hey, I found they sell better coffee or tea elsewhere, right? Well we all like our coffee or tea differently so I would presume!
I don't get what is meant by this statement, I think I must be getting old? Sorry if I am missing the point!:confused:

Back