I love a reno challenge

Things are looking much better. It is great seeing before and after photos.

Is there a "burnt" smell in the house?

awsome work Brian! Thanks for sharing the progress of your reno. Too bad all the work is happening in QLD, I would love to work for nothing to help out just to learn a thing or two about renovating.
Its only a cheap plane fare :D

Wylie,

I gernied the burnt area within an inch of its life and the place have been aired VERY well as indicated by a fire restorer and as painter has said there is NIL smell of smoke, so quite happy about that.

Plasterers arrived today about 2ish and it was decided they would come back in the morning, which was a good outcome as I wanted to clean the place out to make it a bit easier and I was a bit behind in that I had not completed the bathroom sheeting.

So up at 4.30am :eek::eek: to get there and start sheeting and clean the place out, my son has PROMISED to help :cool:, my guess is he will still be asleep by smoko :rolleyes:

Kitchen people rang and the kitchen will be installed Tuesday OH so close to painting :)

Brian

... my son has PROMISED to help :cool:, my guess is he will still be asleep by smoko :rolleyes:...
Brian

Not if his father has removed his bed, I noticed he likes to lie on the bags of ceiling insulation. ;)

At least your son turns up, our son was the same until it was his place that he wanted work done on!

Nothing like Father son teams.:D Or Mother and daughter. :p

Cheers
Sheryn

LOL funny you should say that Sheryn, I have to disagree there is a suttle difference between my son and I, I turn up, son goes AWOL without notice :mad:. He wanted to learn how to hang sheets etc I wanted to just get plasterers to do it (its an age thing) so I agree the day you came was the last day he turned up for the sheeting I hung the rest of the place myself :( of course it took a bit longer and more pain to places I never had 30odd years ago :cool:

Or at least never felt then. Of course he did put the insulation in the roof yesterday (a big help).

Brian

....(its an age thing).... and more pain to places I never had 30 odd years ago ;)

Or at least never felt then. Of course he did put the insulation in the roof yesterday (a big help).

Brian

Hubby is finding the same problem with his 54 year old body THE BODY just can't do everything.

We got plasterers in as a large job, hubby was going to make the stairs but decided he would get the staris made as he'd need someone to help bolt the stairs in anyway.

Our insulation [still in the bags] is in the roof cavity and hubby will find someone to install.

We had the day off to go to the local 4WD show today, although we picked up some architrave on the way home from Bunnings.

Cheers
Sheryn

At least your son turns up, our son was the same until it was his place that he wanted work done on!

I am still very mindful of us (hubby, me and my mum who was 69 years old at the time) ripping out bathrooms, removing walls, repairing floorboards and painting inside at a place we bought and were trying to finish before we took our three boys to the US. They came over a few times, but were so grumpy and uninterested that we gave up. They actually slowed us up.

So we slaved away, stinking hot in a Brisbane December while they sat in our own house in air-conditioned comfort.

So when one of them wants us to come over and help them paint or renovate when they get their own places, I plan on bringing this vivid memory up just before I say "NO" :rolleyes:.

LOL funny you should say that Sheryn, I have to disagree there is a suttle difference between my son and I, I turn up, son goes AWOL without notice :mad:. He wanted to learn how to hang sheets etc I wanted to just get plasterers to do it (its an age thing) so I agree the day you came was the last day he turned up for the sheeting I hung the rest of the place myself :( of course it took a bit longer and more pain to places I never had 30odd years ago :cool:

Brian

Perhaps the threat of renting the house to a third party on completion might pick up his work ethics?:(

Hi Painter,

You could be right, but alas I found out why he has not been turning up, wife says he's found a new love in his live :cool: OH GREAT now there is no chance of getting any help :rolleyes: he could have waited a few weeks and just helped me :D.

Anyway the plasterers have a few cornices to put and finish the bathroom, and I'm pleased to say the kitchen has now been installed and I have started to remove the lourvers and installing the sliding windows.

A bit harder doing these alone so doing the smaller ones and working up to the 4 large ones 1800 x 1800. Lifting these out and hanging in mid air then pulling back square into the opening is not as easy as it sounds. I think I best enlist the help of another person as a broken window will not be a happy outcome.

Hopefully the tiler and plumber will be there next week , waterproofer the week after and I can look at getting on to skirting, doors, shelfing etc etc.

Still looking forward to getting these floors sanded as I'm sure they will come up a treat.

Anyway a few photo's

Brian

Bugger hit wrong button.
Two are of the kitchen the other is of the burnt room.

Here are some photo's Brian

Attachments

• resized-020.JPG
    resized-020.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 126
Hi xplosion,

The kitchen was $4366.00 was a fitted price including the sink and GST. I felt that price was ok as flat pac's came in about a 100 or so $$ cheaper with out the sink or fitted.

While I could have opted for the flat pac I felt my time was better spent doing other things to the place.

As for an all up costing I am currently re doing figures as I have put in sliding windows and not replaced louvers or the damaged frames and I had to replace 500 roof tiles but did not have to do any structual timber work in the burnt area so monies saved there. I was given the roof insulation all approved stuff (would not install otherwise) from my sons boss who does this for a living so again saved there.

The plasterers where cheaper than I estimated and I'm pleased with the work as well, but the sparkie cost me more.

My inital budget was $40000 If I can stay all up finished $240 - 245000 I will be happy, I'm not planning on selling.

In two days it will be two months doing the place of course this is part time have a full time job so happy with the progress. Am aiming for another 4 weeks to complete inside.

I am not sure if when I finish the inside to rent it out at a reduced rate while I finish the outside will consider this as an option. Although I would prefer to finish the whole project get it valued and a depreciation schedule done before anyone moves in.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for that information, much appreciated. Thats a very good price on the kitchen, is that cabinetry or does it also include the benchtop and applicances? Is yes, what benchtop are you using?

Thanks, :D

The kitchen includes the benchtops and it is laminate, The appliances IE oven, cooktop and range hood where another $990.00 (I think) without going looking for the receipt for the exact $$, it was under a thou that part I know.

I'm sure people will beat that price but I was happy with it and seemed good value (fitted). The quality of the cupboards are good, if it was my PPOR the only thing I would change is the draw runners, these are very good but I would want better (just me) being quite picky now.

Brian

YET again I made an error of judgement, I had the window guy measure the new windows up and I was fitting. NEVER NEVER again I should give myself an uppercut. If they measure THEY SHOULD fit.

What a day but now only two to go and all windows installed, the bathroom and toilet phew.

I've opted to get a tiler and plumber in, no major there had that in the budget, was going to do myself but what they will do in a day will put me a couple of weeks ahead while I do other things.

I am now trying to be internally completed by the end of next month.

I can then move outside.

My biggest problem is what COLOUR do I paint the place. It also have been posed to bag the place and paint has anyone got opinons on either??

I will say the windows do look great and pleased I elected to remove the louvers to sliders.

Funny enough did a quick budget update the other night and I am running below my estimates so quite happy at this stage.

Brian

I also made that mistake when I ordered security screens from a local aluminum shop,they didn't take into account the windows are not square and gave no tolerance at all.I had to send back five out of 20 of them to get remade.

Lesson learned same as you have :D

You ask what color,how long is a piece of string?

I am glad you are under your budget so far,bagging is a good idea for your house,

What colors are your aluminum windows ?
Are you painting your roof ? If not why not? and if so what color?

When I have these answers I will try and get some colors together for you.?

It was not so much the frames where out of square in fact I was quite impressed they were very level and plumb. The issue was mainly in one window the timbers had a slight twist and hump in it, so had to plane and grind flat for window to slip in. Did I tell you the timbers WHERE 50 year old HARD wood and that one frame stuffed my planing blades had to replace :eek:

Not having a shot at the person that measured, just at me, I am a firm beleiver the person that measures " FITS " so if its out he wears the pain in fitting. The joys of renovating :)

Moving on the the window frame colour is white birch, the kitchen is white doors etc, beige pampas top. The roof painting is not in the budget or bagging for that matter but I do feel the roof would look a hell of a lot better painted. Colour for roof was considering a green.

My issue with the bricks is simply if I paint I have to keep painting whereas the bricks as they are no maintenance. Of course bagging and painting will set the place apart from the others and look a treat. May also help from someone wanting to rent or buy IE first impressions :cool:.

Brian

Back