I love a reno challenge

Painter,
Yes I was, but of course will be asking for colours outside when I get there.

My current idea was to have the ceilings 1/4 americian white, walls 1/2 americian white and the doors, skirting, jambs etc in full gloss americian white.

Now I know this may seem BORING to most but to me is nutural and would appeal to most persons.

I am open to all suggestions so go for it.

As for outside the roof maybe a green, antique white posts (when patio is built) and soffits (only because I have antique white left over from my PPOR).

Fascias no idea.

Brian

Painter,
Yes I was, but of course will be asking for colours outside when I get there.

My current idea was to have the ceilings 1/4 americian white, walls 1/2 americian white and the doors, skirting, jambs etc in full gloss americian white.

Brian

Ceilings are fine with 1/4 American white,
You will need two coats flat ceiling paint on all new gyprock,in the wet areas,a sealer undercoat and two coats low sheen or satin acrylic.(Perhaps even the wall paint could surfice)

Walls need to be a little different as they wont show up being so subtle,maybe go double strength American white.
Sealer undercoat (Tinted to the wall color) followed by two coats low sheen acrylic.

Glosswork can be straight American white. for a slight contrast.

Bare pine,two coats of your sealer undercoat or wall paint followed by one coat gloss enamel.

Remember pre existing paintwork needs the oil undercoat first ;)

We'll get to the outside colors when I see it finished:D,

I have posted my expenses to date for anyone that is interested I have not paid the final amounts in italic but I know the amount except the electrician, still to pay is also the engineer. Which is $900.00

I was hoping to have the place completed for as close to $230000 as possible and at the moment I'm still a little under $6100 to go to meet this target. This of course does not include holding costs at the moment.

The main hit on my budget was the windows and re roofing half the place as neither was included, in saying that have still managed to keep the budget overflow to a minimum.

Anyway back into it tomorrow had relative he all week so bugger all has been done apart from majority of window now in.

MY PLAN
House Purchase 190,000.00
Stamp Duty 5,075.00
Convayencing 941.50
Renovation Costs 34,000.00
Building Search Council 52.00

Total $ 230068.50

THE FACT

Item Cost
Timber $523.43
Bolts / washers $155.67
Mortice Lock $28.24
Everyday Tree Lopping $960.00
Roof Tiles $1,092.30
Plasta Masta Plaster $1,893.08
Dishwasher $699.00
2 x Air Cons $1,338.00
Euromaid oven hotplate rangehood $999.00
Delivery $60.00
General materials $27.54
Plaster screws and glue $22.96
Timber and concrete for bath $93.10
Window screws $17.20
Plaster mouldings and pipe clips $7.30
Villaboard / timber / miscellaneous $182.67
Timber /miscellaneous $24.39
Timber $49.20
Roof Tiler $2,552.00
Bins 1x 8m 1x 6m $605.00
Windows $4,114.00
Kitchen $4,366.18
Plasterer $1,753.00
Electrician $6,363.00

Total $27,926.26

Hi Brian,

I think I know which house you are working on and must admit if I was in a good position I would have gone after it. It really was a diamond in the rough even with the fire damage.

I see you mention you are a registered builder, and am planning a few small projects in the future which will require a registered builder. Do you normally do work on this side of Brisbane?

Cheers
Rudra

Hi rudra,

I dare say you do know the place. Of course I now have my signs all over it :D. Yes I do work on the southside. Why not drop in for a chat, I will be there the next couple of days.

A progress report - The tiler has finished, plumber and sparkie hopefully will come next week or early the week after. Once the painting is done I can get the floor sander in, hand curtains and its all complete inside :D:D.

Once I finish a few things hopefully no more than 4 days I will be ready to clean the place and change my carpentry to painting. Looking forward to getting the brush out.

Anyway a few update photos, kitchen tiles still need to be cleaned.

Brian

Attachments

• resized-Woodridge House 003.JPG
    resized-Woodridge House 003.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 135
  • resized-Woodridge House 008.JPG
    resized-Woodridge House 008.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 134
  • resized-Woodridge House 012.JPG
    resized-Woodridge House 012.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 119
Hi Brian,

What are you hoping it values for? What suburb is your property in? Looking great by the way!!!

Matt

Well at this stage I have had a couple of agents around and while its not finished its hard to get a true indication but one has said 285000 the other 330000. I am working all my figures on 270000. The place is located in Woodridge but someone has said they now call the area I'm in Logan Central :cool:

I have someone to rent it out at $300 a week and have had a few ask about renting the place so getting someone does not seem an issue (getting a good one thats another matter).

When I'm completed I will do some figures and post the result. As this is my first investment property its been interesting and I have learnt so much just on budget wise stuff. Investigating what people want in a place and what is overkill for the area.

Anyway enjoying myself and have spotted some other properties to look at another couple of burnt ones.

Brian

Hubby & I dropped in yesterday to look at the 'reno' and held Brian up whilst we talked.

Looking good. This particular house has lots of potential, double carport, deck out the front, and another area where a caravan or trailer could be stored.

Best part is the house is brick!

Keep up the good work...;)

One thing I forgot to ask - are you putting in blinds, curtains, venitians etc?

Cheers
Sheryn

Coincidental Fact NBS

My grandparents used to live 3 houses away from the one you are doing up.

They have passed away now, but I have fond memories of my grandparents house, and of growing up in the area.

I just wish I purchased their property a little while ago.

F

Its a nice area to be honest, most people that I tell I purchased in Woodridge say it was a bad move, bad area, crime etc etc. I'm sure it has its moments but speaking with the locals (most are owner occupiers) and they say its a nice area and I at this stage tend to agree. Time will tell.

Did they live in the same street fudge? I kinda wish I purchased a few a few years ago as well.

Brian

Coincidental Fact NBS

My grandparents used to live 3 houses away from the one you are doing up.

They have passed away now, but I have fond memories of my grandparents house, and of growing up in the area.

I just wish I purchased their property a little while ago.

F

Hey nice to catch up again, I am looking at curtains (or more the fact the wife is) not my area I just lift heavy things :rolleyes: . I may have a blind for the kitchen.

Oh by the way when I told those people at an open house when they asked if I was doing a building and pest inspection I was not hmmmm lying, I was doing one, it just happened to be mine.

Not my fault they put two and two together and got 5 :D:D. I did feel guilty and had a minute of restless sleep :D.

I am looking forward to finishing inside and moving outside, tenant (son) can move in and I do the outside at least I can start getting some income back.

Brian

Hubby & I dropped in yesterday to look at the 'reno' and held Brian up whilst we talked.

Looking good. This particular house has lots of potential, double carport, deck out the front, and another area where a caravan or trailer could be stored.

Best part is the house is brick!

Keep up the good work...;)

One thing I forgot to ask - are you putting in blinds, curtains, venitians etc?

Cheers
Sheryn

Its a nice area to be honest, most people that I tell I purchased in Woodridge say it was a bad move, bad area, crime etc etc. I'm sure it has its moments but speaking with the locals (most are owner occupiers) and they say its a nice area and I at this stage tend to agree. Time will tell.

Did they live in the same street fudge? I kinda wish I purchased a few a few years ago as well.

Brian

No, it was 146 Ewing Rd. (Which is 3 houses away and opposite)

Yeah, I didn't have any probs with growong up in the area. I went to Woodridge North Primary just behind there, and went to Woodridge High. I lived in Slacks Creek, but peddled to school everyday.:D

Cheers,

F

Well AT LAST I have downed tools tidied the place up (again) and a quick change of cloths and now I'm a painter :D. Spent the first day with son filling nail holes (damn chippies with nail guns :cool:) and another day cleaning bits and peices of wall paper of the rendered walls and just getting things ready for the first coat.

I can now say the first coat is on the ceiling PHEW what a difference a coat of paint does. Back to the real world for a couple of days and back to the painting Saturday.

Plumber has almost finished his works, floor sander is booked for the 16th, think I might be pushing it but will give a good shot. Shower screen, mirror and builtin robe doors are ordered should be in just after the floor sander, will try and get them in before if possible. Will contact electrician and get him in before the 16th. Then I can do the curtains and carpets, put the shelfs in the builtins and FINISHED.

Will have to sort out LL insurance, lease stuff etc etc etc in the mean time.

Will give you an update on my visit to the certifer soon, that was interesting nothing money cannot fix it seems :(

Brian

Well I have been a little busy of late, I can now say the bulk of the place is now painted and its official (I HATE PAINTING) and I still have doors and window arcs and some skirting to do. Thanks to Painter for your advise and helpfull information I'm sure it did made the job easier and you can rest easy knowing I will not be in anyway in competition with you :D

Plumbing, electrical, builtin cupboard doors, showerscreen and mirror are all completed, floorsanders are in today, bobcat on site tomorrow to clean the yard. Carpet measured Wednesday and hopefully fitted the following week after, if I can complete the painting in the bedrooms in time.

I cannot get inside to do anything really until Sunday now and even then must where soaks, so that will slow me up a bit.

I'm very pleased I opted to get the pro's in to do the floor from what I saw them doing it would have taken me ages and more than likely not a great finish its taking 3 of them about 6 hours to do the floor, first coat.

Time is now an issue as I leave for Darwin on the 19th and I would like it ready totally inside by then so I can try and get it rented before I leave.

Will update again soon I have learnt a lot and am a lot wiser for the outing (so to speak) and a number of lessons have been imprinted now for my next outing, hopfully soon.

Anyway a couple of photos

Brian

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 106
Bobcat has been and the bulk of the yard clean up is now done. It has made a huge difference and with just under 20 cubic metres removed :eek: a lot more than i expected. Of course I found another slab under a slab cannot do anything about it at the moment will have to wait for when I'm back from Darwin.

Internally the floor had its final coat yeaterday and is looking great. Could not get photo's but will in the next day or so.

Cannot do anything there today but will be back tomorrow and get back to the painting. Lots of bits and peices to do and finish.

Would be better if I could just do it and not go to my real job.

It seems I have someone interested in renting the place and I said it will be $300 a week and $320 a week when I finish the outside. They seem happy with that and would like it in a couple of weeks which works for me. Will know more on this Sunday. Now I have to sort a lease out etc etc.

Will put photo's up later does not seem to want to load up today

Brian

Well I'm pleased to say the floors are now polished and completed, another step to completion. If I can get on site Saturday I will order the carpets and get them on the move, or at least the wife will pick the colours and I can THEN get them on the move :rolleyes:.

The list to have the place finished is long but mostly straight forward and simple but everything takes time and time adds up. The biggest job I have to do is painting the doors and skirting in the 3 bedrooms, I plan to get the first top coat on these Saturday if all works out for me.

My trip to Darwin on the 19th is now going to be delayed I dare say with 6 days out of the 11 days taken up with my normal job and family commitments. Not being able to get there the last few days due to family commitments (not expected) has me looking at doing days and nights to help speed things up to meet my origional time line:(.

Anyway the place is looking great but the real challange is ahead, finding a tennant who will look after the place.

Some photos of the floor.

Brian

Attachments

• Woodridge floor 008.jpg
    Woodridge floor 008.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Woodridge floor 007.jpg
    Woodridge floor 007.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Woodridge floor 013.jpg
    Woodridge floor 013.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 105