Is Australia facing an economic downturn/recession?

What outlook does our economy face over the short term?

• TEOTWAWKI

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Depression

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Recession

Votes: 42 21.8%
  • Slight Downturn

Votes: 76 39.4%
  • Steady As She Goes

Votes: 48 24.9%
  • Continue To Boom

Votes: 11 5.7%

• Total voters
Some would argue the very opposite: In 1975 the US regime saw supporting a stridently anti-communist Indonesian dictatorship as precisely in America's national interest, even if that meant gifting East Timor to them (with, to my deep shame, Australia's complicity).

I did not know that. Thanks for posting this info.

Of course - but it's the culture of supporting and paying for those welfare recipients. It's not just limited to Centrelink payments - it's medicare (people on health-care cards etc go to the doctor far more often), PBS etc. It is a systematic problem.

Of course - but it's the culture of supporting and paying for those welfare recipients. It's not just limited to Centrelink payments - it's medicare (people on health-care cards etc go to the doctor far more often), PBS etc. It is a systematic problem.

Although it seems strange, I would much rather see our tax revenue spent on services that could be accessed by those in need, rather than handing out cash. For example, I would rather see some of the welfare money spent on improved public health care and better public school education, than handed out as a baby bonus.

It's a catch 22 in some ways, because spending encourages economic activity, and if we reduce consumer spending the economy slows down. I guess I'd like to see Australia begin weaning from the handout mentality many of us have, and focus welfare on helping the genuinely needy.

Although it seems strange, I would much rather see our tax revenue spent on services that could be accessed by those in need, rather than handing out cash. For example, I would rather see some of the welfare money spent on improved public health care and better public school education, than handed out as a baby bonus.

It's a catch 22 in some ways, because spending encourages economic activity, and if we reduce consumer spending the economy slows down. I guess I'd like to see Australia begin weaning from the handout mentality many of us have, and focus welfare on helping the genuinely needy.

My mother is a doctor and you won't believe the people who come in - most are on healthcare cards, see a doctor because they're basically bored. Not to mention that they claim centrelink benefits, earn cash money on the side, run a small business as well. It makes me angry

My mother is a doctor and you won't believe the people who come in - most are on healthcare cards, see a doctor because they're basically bored. Not to mention that they claim centrelink benefits, earn cash money on the side, run a small business as well. It makes me angry

Dob them in then. No use getting angry about it without doing anything.

Not sure how you would know about your mother's patients and their tax dodging. Hope she isn't breaching any confidentialities...

People keep using the excuse that we pay so much taxes (or at least I do) so we get to enjoy all the great amenities in this country!

Nothing is further from the truth. The bulk of my taxes have gone to fund $900 hand outs which I never got, silly solar panel rebates which I never used, Centrelink payments for people working cash jobs which I am not, funding professional students which I despise, union movements which encourage people to boycott work etc.

We can probably set the maximum tax rate at 25% and still enjoy the same amenities - it's not like the government builds anything useful anyway. Horrible public transport systems in Sydney, massive hospital waiting lists at Melb and Sydney, airports that look as old and dirty as London Heathrow (god that's a disgusting mess, looks like the UK Govt won't have money to fix that for another two decades). The only thing my state has ever spent real money on in the past few years is Myki - which doesn't seem to work very well - and the desalination plant - oh look we have record rainfall now, great foresight.

Not sure how you would know about your mother's patients and their tax dodging. Hope she isn't breaching any confidentialities...

It's obvious. Half the people on Centrelink probably do that.

She doesn't tell me anything. It is so obvious.

It's obvious. Half the people on Centrelink probably do that.

You sound knowledgeable on the subject. I be happy to read any facts or evidence you have that 'probably' half of people on Centrelink are tax dodgers.

Of course, if this is just a generalisation or a 'belief' that you have with no evidence at all, I'll dismiss it as baseless, as per usual.

You sound knowledgeable on the subject. I be happy to read any facts or evidence you have that 'probably' half of people on Centrelink are tax dodgers.

Of course, if this is just a generalisation or a 'belief' that you have with no evidence at all, I'll dismiss it as baseless, as per usual.

Deltaberry knows far more about this than you do.

Back