Is Australia facing an economic downturn/recession?

What outlook does our economy face over the short term?

• TEOTWAWKI

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Depression

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Recession

Votes: 42 21.8%
  • Slight Downturn

Votes: 76 39.4%
  • Steady As She Goes

Votes: 48 24.9%
  • Continue To Boom

Votes: 11 5.7%

• Total voters
Deltaberry knows far more about this than you do.

Why, because he agrees with you? I don't agree or disagree, by the way, but I usually like some facts before making a decision.

All you and Deltaberry have provided are the rantings of talk-back callers.

Your opinion is not fact.

I'm confused. If your mother doesn't tell you about her clients financial situation, yet you think it's 'obvious' they are dole bludgers and tax cheats.

How is it obvious?

Surely she could speak in generalities. "I saw three people today who had nothing better to do than visit a doctor, and all of them were on health care cards, as usual".

Why, because he agrees with you? I don't agree or disagree, by the way, but I usually like some facts before making a decision.

lol. If only you knew who Deltaberry was. Then you'll acknowledge that it isn't 'fiction' or 'opinion'

lol. If only you knew who Deltaberry was. Then you'll acknowledge that it isn't 'fiction' or 'opinion'

I never said anything about 'fiction', so please don't put words into my mouth.

You may believe everything someone says to you as the gospel truth, but I would rather believe the evidence.

'Probably half of them do it' was the opinion expressed. If there are facts to back it up, fine, but until then its just an opinion and I'll treat it as such.

how are you going to provide facts? drag out a survey to calculate people who try to cheat centrelink and do some regression analysis on the percentages?

you can make conclusions from your opinions - they isn't actually any real studies (as no one would want to do it anyway)

End of the day - it comes down to whose opinion you value. someone who is multimillion dollar connected which is likely to the most in this forum and has investment knowledge and education or someone who is only a couple of properties in the portfolio. and i wasn't talking about myself in either of those categories.

End of the day - it comes down to whose opinion you value. someone who is multimillion dollar connected which is likely to the most in this forum and has investment knowledge and education or someone who is only a couple of properties in the portfolio. and i wasn't talking about myself in either of those categories.

Huh?

Not sure what property portfolios have to do with centrelink recipients seeing doctors.

If there are facts to back it up, fine, but until then its just an opinion and I'll treat it as such.

Knock yourself out chief.

Is he really here to spoonfeed you anything....most couldn't give a rats how you treat anything.

Dob them in then. No use getting angry about it without doing anything.

QUOTE]

thats why you dont get access to the individual.
Its a bit like a european club, you are either inside or outside.

And from the commentary it looks like you are outside.:D

Plenty of this stuff going on, the funny thing is the marginal benefits started to decline under the Howard Era, now it looks like the marginal benefits are increasing again.

Well its all good for me.
I can benefit from both sides of the bandwagon.

Knock yourself out chief.

Is he really here to spoonfeed you anything....most couldn't give a rats how you treat anything.

Wasn't asking to be spoonfed anything. Just seeing if someone's opinion was just that, or there was something to back it up. Looks like it was a baseless opinion. Just gathering information, chief.

Well this really is an uplifting, robust and courageous exchange of informed opinion, isn't is?

Not some politically small-minded squabble, no!

Just what a public forum on investing like this needs, don't you think?

Not. At. All.

Well done indeed, everyone!

Dob them in then. No use getting angry about it without doing anything.

Not sure how you would know about your mother's patients and their tax dodging. Hope she isn't breaching any confidentialities...

Nah; you can talk about faceless and nameless patients as much as you like...they are faceless and nameless.

I have very close ties to the operating theatres of the Peninsula...I know a lot about what goes on - but know about no-one.

These sad and sorry pieces of shoit who are on these cards think they are smart and have won, but look at the life they ACTUALLY live.

Pathetic, and always will be..

You sound knowledgeable on the subject. I be happy to read any facts or evidence you have that 'probably' half of people on Centrelink are tax dodgers.

Of course, if this is just a generalisation or a 'belief' that you have with no evidence at all, I'll dismiss it as baseless, as per usual.

If you can find any proof or evidence that dismisses my opinion, I'll happily read it.

SO anyway... back to the topic at hand.

Obama warns of economic armageddon

Are they going to get this thing sorted or what?

It will get sorted at the last second, as usual. My thought is that unless they combine serious spending cuts ($1T or so) with serious additional taxation (another $1T or so), they are unlikely to have a working solution, though.

They've pretty much kicked the can to the end of the street, I reckon.

Which way do we think the US dollar will go?

the US want to inflate their debt away, and raising the debt ceiling is the only way to save the USD.

the only other option is that they dont, cause a little intermediate pain and structure a gold backed amero - which would mean a fresh start for the US as a treasury, but deflation pain for anyone holding debt in USD. this would be a disaster for the likes of China, maybe that's the point though.

dunno. after what i've seen and researched with the GFC, anything is possible.

SO anyway... back to the topic at hand.

Obama warns of economic armageddon

Are they going to get this thing sorted or what?

I read this as simply another negotiation tactic. Obama is essentially telling the voting public that if the markets freak out, it is because of the Republicans.

Of course, they will contend that they offered a reasonable compromise around that health bill. All just a big political negotiation. These folks know no other modis operandis.

The markets might drop. When they do, I am going to buy some stocks. Cause sure as the sun rises, they will go back up again.

Can someone explain to me the practical consequences of S&P downrating the U.S.? I do mean practical.

Back