Is Foxtel worth it?

Interestingly, Nadia, whilst I would have suspected that you'd spend more time watching TV, I actually find I spend less time watching TV, since I got Foxtel.

Why? Because before I used to watch TV "for the sake of watching". Now, the vast choice has made me more selective; the threshold of how much I want to watch something before I commit the time to do it is much, much higher. I hardly ever sit down and just flick for something to watch; I always have something that I really want to watch recorded. When I know that there are a lot of fabulous shows to watch, there's no way I want to waste my time watching things that are just "good". Shows that previously I used to habitually watch on free-to-air, I now wouldn't consider worth my time.

So I watch less TV overall, but I get much more enjoyment out of those things I do watch.

Tracey has pretty much taken the words out of my mouth. What she said is exactly how we watch too.

Since my oldest boy started uni, I am watching more TV during the day (which is something I hardly ever did) because he says "come and watch something with me".

I tend to listen to local ABC 612 or News Radio during the day and I must say I have been spending way too much time checking SS during the day, between doing what I do at home. It is a bigger time waster than TV for me, because I just "check out what has been added since I last looked".

I have to be more strict with myself.

With all the sports on free-to-air I wouldn't mind getting Foxtel just so I can watch documentaries, property shows etc. I mean seriously every free to air channel has sports on it most nights and when there isn't sports it's endless repeats of CSI or SVU. Most nights we end up watching the ABC as there is crap on all the other channels.

My sister has foxtel and there seems to be some good shows on there, and I watch it at the gym also.

Does anyone know if there is a 70's/80's channel? I would pay to see reruns of original wonder woman, dukes of hazard, charlie's angels etc.

Interestingly, Nadia, whilst I would have suspected that you'd spend more time watching TV, I actually find I spend less time watching TV, since I got Foxtel.

Hehe - maybe then I just have an irrational fear of becoming a TV-watching couch potato :) We live in a remote town - we only get 4 channels - ie no 31, and 9 and 10 are combined, so many people here have Foxtel - and many people I know are couch potatoes - sit in front of the box channel surfing all weekend... not for me - I dont miss it, and I guess I look at it as saving $50 a month - will save it up and go on holiday (and watch Foxtel then!!:p) ...now if someone said - "here have it for free" I'd take it!..

Nadia

Foxtel was good but Foxtel IQ completely changed the way we watch TV and yes we watch less TV because we don't watch all the crap ads and promo' etc

We are very selective now and just watch the bits we want to watch when we want to watch them.

We luurrrveee our Foxtel IQ and will be getting IQ2 when it comes out!!

As an alternative to pay TV.

All the classic and new TV shows, movies, doco's , music whatever here and yours to keep.

No adds either

http://www.torrentz.com/

As an exampleI was after some "Lost in Space" episodes.

Well here is every one of them (about 100 episodes and a movie)

http://www.mininova.org/det/1244743

I figured paying more for a good internet connection and getting what "I" want was better than pay tv getting dished up good stuff in dribs and drabs..

Plus I get to have all of this stuff on a massive hard drive on the boat for viewing where there is no TV

Dave

All of course highly illegal. I think it's worth pointing this out to those who may not be aware.

I wasnt fully aware of that, I thought it was a grey area

I thought file sharing was OK

Is it anymore illegal than recording off of TV ?

Or putting music onto an Ipod ?

Dave

Love my foxtel! Don't think I could ever go back to 5 channels. There's always something on, no matter what mood you're in; music, doco's, sitcoms, news etc. When I move house, Foxtel gets notified before electricity and gas!

I would point out to those that are questioning that Pay-TV has adverts on it. You're not paying for 'commercial free,' you're paying for the extra choice of having 80+ channels. It's a common misconception. Perhaps because when Foxtel/Galaxy first launched they didnt have adverts and made point of that feature. That's only because they didn't have a decent enough subscriber base for advertisers to be interested. They still had program gaps where they put in adverts for the other channels/shows.

At least it gives you an option besides kerri anne (sorry k.a.) or 30 year old reruns of a country practice. aust tv during the day is so boooring.

All day sessions of the footy and cricket on all the time (season dependent).
And you cant forget about the wrastling

Amazing how you'll pay for it then not update your life insurance

I’ve always resisted the temptation on the grounds that the $50 per month would be best spent reducing the principal on my home loan.

Delayed gratification has got me this far but it’s tough for a Melbourne based Lions supporter to go without pay TV.

Your thoughts?

Mate IMO it is well worth it. There is something for eveyone
ME-
business channel - awesome coverage of the s/market,breaking news ect
news channel - news updates every hour,
Nat geo - awesome docos
and best of all FOX SPORTS!! never miss a game of NRL fri./sat/mon games ohh yea
The G/F-
loves CI channel, daytime tv doctor phil ect
and my daughter
loves the kids channel

Back