Is it time for Frankston?

Spoke with my mate who has some investments in frankston south. He thinks the marina will never be built. He was optimistic when they first talked about it. Now he thinks he should have invested else where. But who knows and is not 100% sure either.

Starting to think the same. No growth for me, for the past few years. Whats going on?

Spoke with my mate who has some investments in frankston south. He thinks the marina will never be built. He was optimistic when they first talked about it. Now he thinks he should have invested else where. But who knows and is not 100% sure either.

mmm interesting. But surely no-one bought specifically because council was proposing a marina? There's so much more going on than that!

I also thought it sounded great at first - then found out more about the area and now it doesn't sound right. There are a lot of protection for native animals and traditional aboriginal land in the Langwarrin area and the Kannanook Creek seems to be getting rehabilitated. In other words, there are established groups - probably with money.

I actually think Frankston and the surrounding areas have their own appeal. A marina could be a lot of fun and would really change the place a lot. Don't get me wrong - I love the idea!

More realistically, there's already a popular beach and a marina would make the water and sand oily.

I'm hoping that first home buyers and baby boomer down-sizers keep buying in. I also hope that the bogans don't leave but rather take this opportunity to up-grade into their own ppor's and aim to send their kidlets to Frankston High.

If everyone is an investor on a sub-divisble block, there'll be too many places for rent. When there are more owner-occupiers, there'll be less places to rent and the yields will be good and then the investors will want to buy in but no-one will want to sell. So then rents go up and CG goes up.

How long do you reckon???

Starting to think the same. No growth for me, for the past few years. Whats going on?

Are you sure about that toony? seems to be some CG in the last 6 months?

I think you know that just about every property in Australia temporarily lost value during 2012 .... and Melbourne has been biding her time. Some parts have taken off in Melbourne but not all.

Frankston isn't doing too bad - has recovered the losses, at the very least.

me bought at fr south, 6 years ago.. $357k, now just refi at $420. 3,2,car port, 2 lounge + rumpuss. 630 sq

rent start from $310/week, now $350/week.

if we compare that to apartment in st kilda, probably the capital gain is much more...

any one want to share some of their results ?

Yeah I think a lot of people have come to that conclusion about the marina. It had good and bad points. It would free up that whole area and you wouldn't have to wait 2 hours to get your boat out.

Are you sure about that toony? seems to be some CG in the last 6 months?

I think you know that just about every property in Australia temporarily lost value during 2012 .... and Melbourne has been biding her time. Some parts have taken off in Melbourne but not all.

Frankston isn't doing too bad - has recovered the losses, at the very least.

Well. I can assure you I have seen excellent growth and I'm wrapped!! Frankston Central really has skyrocketed cause young families and investors are buying there. And agent after agent after agent tell me this "people are committed to buying"
me bought at fr south, 6 years ago.. $357k, now just refi at $420. 3,2,car port, 2 lounge + rumpuss. 630 sq

if we compare that to apartment in st kilda, probably the capital gain is much more...

Well I bought for 320 in April 11. 3-1-4 I renovated it before I renos I was told 260 p/w I spent 20k on renos. after Reno I mgetting 320 p/w could get more but I have amazing tennants who I'd rather look after than lose. current value 370-390k

Yeah I think a lot of people have come to that conclusion about the marina. It had good and bad points. It would free up that whole area and you wouldn't have to wait 2 hours to get your boat out.

On really hot days it seems like there are more boats than cars. Boat City.

Last edited:
long88

long88: Do you mean St Kilda's done beeter with CG or Frankston has? :confused:

I bought for K360 in 2010. Rent started at$320pw. 4-2-4. 720m2.

Too scared to get it valued just yet- last time I asked REA for a guesstimate, she said "still around K330". That was probably a year ago.

Rent went down to $290 pw and is now going up to $310 pw with new family moving into house.

So you're all way ahead of me but I'm hangin' on! No renos yet. I think it makes a big difference there. Ithink my house is a diamond in the rough ...

Last edited:
long88

Too scared to get it valued just yet- last time I asked REA for a guesstimate, she said "still around K330". That was probably a year ago.

Rent went down to $290 pw and is now going up to $310 pw with new family moving into house.

So you're all way ahead of me but I'm hangin' on! No renos yet. I think it makes a big difference there. Ithink my house is a diamond in the rough ...

it definitely makes a diff wattle. depends on your reno. no such thing as a budget in reno's if you ask me.....

Would so love to chuck in the job or at least take a few months off to go there and do some renos.

Just gotta find a way. Am a late bloomer as far as finances go so still really need to work to pay the bills. :eek::(

Hi

Thanks for that information. From my understanding there are a couple, let's say a few different companies and developers that are interested in getting involved with the marina in Frankston but haven't due to some unfavourable terms from the local council so are sitting back for now and waiting for some more attractive incentives to make it a win/win situation for all involved.

Considering the success of Blairgowrie marina and the costs for keeping a boat moored in the docklands/yarra precinct I know that some developers with the access to financing the Frankston marina project are still interested.

I wonder what the developers of Wyndham Harbour are going to look at doing when they finish that off?

I think it would be good if the local council develops the rock wall themselves and then tender the marina development out to an experienced developer.

The closest safe harbour/marina north of Frankston without a boat height limit is Sandringham so it is also required from a boaties point of view.

And I will probably get shot for this but a local just purchased a 130 foot mega yacht and has stated he would like to keep his boat moored at Frankston closer to his home and yes he has the money but has no knowledge of marina's or development so god help us if he builds it!

I would love to see it happen:), but will it ever happen is anyone's guess.:confused:

Regards,

alicudi

Well when gd started sprouting figures he'd probably just bought and his figures were right.
Fortunately for all of us, Frankston has moved on and it's pretty hard to find somewhere decent under K300 now.

Suburb growth for Frankston Houses from Pricefinder below

Thanks Simtr for the link. The prices seems promising.

All we property investors or newbees are riding on a big wave. There are peaks and slumps.

After months reading all threads, today I visited Frankston. Honestly, I expected worse. I am loving it. But I have to visit again and again to find the real gems.

cheers

hi,

mine is in fr south.

no reno at all, still in original condition since day 1. has done a lot maintenance though.. burst pipe, leaking roof, pest bill, stove faulty, leaf & gutter protection.

all of the joy of owning property...

lucky now the tenants loves the house, and looking after the garden as well. so i will leave it in their capable hand.

and i would have thought that st kilda could do better in capital growth, pls prove me wrong so i can sleep better at night.. :)

and yes... we all have to hang in tight there.. the marina have been in a rumour since i bought it, but that is not the trigger to purchase. (also my house is in fr south school zone).

now.. where to look to buy ?

long88

hi,

if you read/search, the nick is harris

he got a lot more stories to tell about frankston/fr south.

he got in a lot more cheaper price at earlier time... and very long thread.. hope you have the time to read/find it.

a lot of history and information here.. if you know where to find..

Suburb growth for Frankston Houses from Pricefinder below

Thanks Simtr for the link. The prices seems promising.

All we property investors or newbees are riding on a big wave. There are peaks and slumps.

After months reading all threads, today I visited Frankston. Honestly, I expected worse. I am loving it. But I have to visit again and again to find the real gems.

cheers

Back