Jobseeking

Have you considered doing some training in GIS software like Mapinfo?

A lot of demand for it it government offices and allows some flexibility in contracts etc?
That could be worth checking out. Is that something which could be done online, or at reasonable cost at a tertiary institution? What are the job roles?

That could be worth checking out. Is that something which could be done online, or at reasonable cost at a tertiary institution? What are the job roles?

I just paid for one of our staff to do the course, so let me dig up the info and I'll send you through the links via PM.

php mysql
googleAPIs for mapinfo and adsense,
java javascript

and a client/server system, gold
php tick
mysql- not yet with php but with java. I don't think there's much problem there- I've had a lot of experience using Oracle databases.
Google APIs- just to embed google maps in websites. No Mapinfo or adSense.
java- tick. Completing semester 3 of 3 semesters.
javascript- tick. But fairly lightweight.

have a look at the available google apis, just to know the syntax, real simple to access

thousands of php scripts, scriptlets, code samples available for inclusion in anything you have to maintain

Geoff,

I'd suggest applying for contract Business Analyst roles (possibly Technical BA).
You have heaps of experience in both business & IT. An 'older' person is often seen as an advantage over graduates.

I would avoid development work (eg java,php, web etc) - they are perceived as a 'young' persons domain. These days everyone has those skills & employers are usually looking for v. specific skills & experience in addition to the basics.

BA interviews are fairly easy to get through, they are usually looking for someone with common sense & experience to 'do the work' & get paid & then they get flicked on. If nothing else it would be a good stepping stone to get back into it all, and something concrete & relevant onto your resume. I believe Canberra is currently an excellent place to find BA work.

The pay is roughly double what a permanent role would get - $700+ pd. It's easy to only work when you feel like it. And you can work through your cpy/trust.

And alternative is project management - you have lots of experience at managing people & teams.

Cheers Keith

Hi Geoff,
What about meter reading?Keeps you fit,work at your own pace,no boss on your backside.Though with plenty of opportunities for advancement within the company,with your previous skills,you'd be in the office quick smart.
Jobs in Nsw,PM if interested and i'll provide a link to apply.
Cheers

Hi Geoff,

Have you thought about renovating for profit projects - buy, reno & sell?

Not on the tools yourself but rather locating the property deals then project managing the trades people to do the cosmetic renovations for you and then selling? You may even choose to keep a few along the way.

Shahin- I haven't included the Java in applications yet. I don't know if 3 semesters of study (I'm aiming to complete the3 in les sthan 3 months) will count for much. I don't know the market.

Truly Exotic- Money is going to be tight this year, and I haven't been working for a few months already. And it appears as if the working partner might be outsourced overseas herself.

Dave- I'm not so good at sales. I'm happiest at a desk, with a keyboard. It took me a while to build up to asking customers if they wanted a drink or a cookie.

RumpledElf- my wife was the bookkeeper. I did a little on MYOB but not too much. (I did however develop some Excel VBA to export payroll data from Excel into MYOB, something which my then bookkeeper had told me wasn't possible). Would a Cert course in bookkeeping be of more value than one in IT do you think?

I recently completed a cert IV in bookkeeping and finding it extremely difficult to find any company willing to take on a trainee bookkeeper. I've had various roles in accounts and admin positions but most companies want actual bookkeeping experience plus MYOB. How can one with the qualification but no experience get a chance if everyone wants experience.

I've been told by various recruitment agencies to go back to the line of work I have experience in as currently not many companies are expanding and taking on trainees/juniors.

Have you considered doing some training in GIS software like Mapinfo?

A lot of demand for it it government offices and allows some flexibility in contracts etc?

Most larger sites will be using ESRI GIS software over Mapinfo. MapInfo is more popular among smaller councils and business where there are perhaps only one or two licenses.

There are plenty of online courses for GIS at universities, probably one of the biggest is Curtin uni in Perth. Software vendors also do face to face training courses but they can get expensive.

Geoff,

I'd suggest applying for contract Business Analyst roles (possibly Technical BA).
You have heaps of experience in both business & IT. An 'older' person is often seen as an advantage over graduates.

I would avoid development work (eg java,php, web etc) - they are perceived as a 'young' persons domain. These days everyone has those skills & employers are usually looking for v. specific skills & experience in addition to the basics.

BA interviews are fairly easy to get through, they are usually looking for someone with common sense & experience to 'do the work' & get paid & then they get flicked on. If nothing else it would be a good stepping stone to get back into it all, and something concrete & relevant onto your resume. I believe Canberra is currently an excellent place to find BA work.

The pay is roughly double what a permanent role would get - $700+ pd. It's easy to only work when you feel like it. And you can work through your cpy/trust.

And alternative is project management - you have lots of experience at managing people & teams.

Cheers Keith

Geoff
from what i understand you were in development/prog analyst type role b4 ur business...you would have to know the lingo of a technical BA before applying for BA jobs.....same applies for PM jobs...(even if you get a Prince2 or PMI certification)

try applying to end user companies ( eg: utilities )...maybe you will get lucky.

the pay is good etc...but for only someone who has being doing it for a while...

if i were you..i would look at ITIL certification and get into a managerial type role in technical/desktop support or technical writing ...or implementing-supporting retail software/POS packages for software vendors.

and i would stay away from development (java,GIS,or any other) unless u truly njoy..
it is truly a headache..with constant changes and versions..and anyways its a lost war against the ninja coders from Far East !

good luck

Last edited:
I would also think about:
1)Volunteer job if you don't mind.. at least you got someone give you a chance to show your skills and you can practice ... by doing so you maybe able to extend your network

2) As a contractor to receive jobs instead of find a job? perhaps maybe a bit hard

I need some guidance.

After selling the business, I'd like to get a job. But I'm having trouble.

My field before the business used to be IT, which I really enjoyed.

But I've been 8 years out of IT- and I'm 59, both of which go strongly against me.

I'm studying again- I'm doing a Diploma in Software Development, and have completed two levels of Java and working on the third and final level. I've separately picked up some php. And I've done a short training course in software testing.

(My previous experience included mainframe Adabas/Natural, VB6, C#, Oracle and VBA for Excel & Word).

I've applied for IT positions, but generally don't get any response back. Any experience more than two or three years old is of no use. Trainee positions want young people, and often require a lack of education past a certain level.

IT recruitment agencies are not interested.

I can't get any help from any non IT agencies either. I'm not eligible for the dole, so there's nothing in it for them. "Look in Seek".

I'm willing to do non IT work, but I really don't know where to start looking or what to look for. And I'm OK to work in Sydney or Canberra- other locations would be possible but not quite as convenient.

I would rather not however go back into hospitality, although I would stand a better chance of a position in that field. I'd rather do something I liked better.

If anybody has any ideas or leads, I would be most grateful.

Thanks!
Geoff, I have mentioned it here on SS a few times before;

A job working in a Proshop at a Golf Club or Course is actually a very nice job to do. You don't need to know anything about golf either; just how to run the shop systems which they would show you how to do - timesheets, cash register, phone bookings etc.

It's very easy after the first 20 years. :D (just kidding).

I have worked (in golf) over the past 30 years with plenty of folk your age and older who have come from other fields and who wanted a change.

They all love it, and many Proshops are flexible with their work arrangements (you will need to do the odd early shifts).

Almost all of them stay around for a long time, so that says something about the work satisfaction. It is far from boring.

The Directors of Golf (shop managers) love it too because they know the older employees are often good staff who can meet and greet and have a conversation with the players when they come in.

The pay would not be Bill Gates level (maybe $25 per hour these days?), but it's easy work, it's social (if you like humans), it's mostly fun and many Proshops struggle to get reliable, sensible, committed staff...the trainee pros are mostly young blokes who only want to play golf and aren't really dedicated to the shop work.

All you need to do is go to every Proshop in your area - private Club or public course and introduce yourself to the Director of Golf in the Proshop (you my want to call ahead first to make sure he/she is there) - and let them know you are available.

Something will turn up before too long, I assure you.

Hi Geoff,

Have you thought about renovating for profit projects - buy, reno & sell?

Not on the tools yourself but rather locating the property deals then project managing the trades people to do the cosmetic renovations for you and then selling? You may even choose to keep a few along the way.
Rixter

I'm not sure how that would go in a market which is, if anything, declining slightly around here. It wouldn't give any satisfaction to the bank manager for servicibility, which is something I really need.

Thanks for the thoughts though.

Thanks for the ideas from everybody so far.

BV, a big impediment for me working in a pro shop is that I really don't like golf. I'm sorry. When I have tried it, I got a score on one hole which most would be ashamed to get in a round of 18 holes. It just didn't gel for me.

Geoff, I reckon those places would be keen on employees who aren't itching to get out on the golf course. As BV said, they want people who can run a shop. And you can do that. It's something to consider short term while you plug away at getting a job in IT.
You're trying to get work using your skills from 8 years ago. Since you've left IT, you have built up a completely different set of skills. Why not see where they can take you?

Gee thanks.

I have a very low LVR but also a very low servicibility- it's probably negative. The J*O*B (cough cough) is required to give servicibility.

Brokers feel free to correct me, but I don't think that applies to commercial property!

Huge shortage of vineyard managers up our way ... that'll be hubby's fallback position in a few years when he starts his "transition" to retirement ... only because having him around the house fiddling in my business stuff would drive me nuts

Back