Jobseeking

Thanks for the ideas from everybody so far.

BV, a big impediment for me working in a pro shop is that I really don't like golf. I'm sorry. When I have tried it, I got a score on one hole which most would be ashamed to get in a round of 18 holes. It just didn't gel for me.
You don't even have to know what the word FORE! means to do the admin job....

Just thought I'd throw this one in for the golfers here - heading down to Barnbougle Dunes on Friday with a mate for a golf w/end.

Flying out tomorrow arvo, Barnbougle on Sat, Lost Farm on Sun.

Playing both Courses and staying in the Clubhouse accommodation.

It was a birthday present from my wife.

How cool!!

Last edited:
Sorry no help here. Just wanted to share my own problems.

Wife made redundant from here 140K paying IT sales job during probation (last day of probation). It been 5 months and she is still looking. Applied on seek, Indeed. met recruiters, employers, etc.
She is even ready to take a paycut to half of pay package, but still no luck :((
Job market is pretty bad, is all I can say !

Agree it is tough. And recruiters do treat everyone how you've described, not just yourself.

I too would try and advise staying away from coding if you can, or going for the mainframe languages. Ideally don't compete with every coding monkey coming out of uni ATM.

Maybe testing roles? We used to use contract testers, some were still at uni, backpackers and a couple at tafe. They were employed through contract test employers. Work might be short-term but would get you in.

Maybe testing roles? We used to use contract testers, some were still at uni, backpackers and a couple at tafe. They were employed through contract test employers. Work might be short-term but would get you in.

Those are all going to Manila unfortunately :)

Those are all going to Manila unfortunately :)

As are an increasing number of roles.

There are still agencies who require security clearance for any workers.

They used to outsource envelope stuffers to the Philippines. They were Manila folders.

Sorry no help here. Just wanted to share my own problems.

Wife made redundant from here 140K paying IT sales job during probation (last day of probation). It been 5 months and she is still looking. Applied on seek, Indeed. met recruiters, employers, etc.
She is even ready to take a paycut to half of pay package, but still no luck :((
Job market is pretty bad, is all I can say !

I recently advertised for an IT sales exec and the quality of the applicants was so poor that I didnt hire anyone... so there are jobs out there, she may need to look at other geographical areas?

IT Helpdesk? Non customer facing and probably fairly boring but at least you start getting income. You would probably go for the team leader or manager role though seeing as you have managed other businesses before.

IT Helpdesk would be fine. Especially with the limited number of years I'm looking to be employed. It's another area which is being outsourced, though as with testing, there will always be secure applications needing Australian citizens.

My wife's soon to be outsourced job is Helpdesk for a website, although not technical.

I recently advertised for an IT sales exec and the quality of the applicants was so poor that I didnt hire anyone... so there are jobs out there, she may need to look at other geographical areas?

That is the problem. She does not want to (and cannot ) look at other geographical areas. Since, my job is in Sydney city and we have a 3 yo to take care of, she is limited to Sydney region only. My understanding (based on her over achieving targets every time) is that her application is strong with heavyweights like Juniper, Cisco, Avaya, Barracuda, EMC under her belt. But, there is too much competition. Till date, she secured only three genuine interviews with employers. One paying peanuts and two says she is over qualified for the position. The AM/BDM positions have fierce competition with candidates over 10-15 years exp and she having only 5.

Anyway, the search is on :)

IT Helpdesk would be fine. Especially with the limited number of years I'm looking to be employed. It's another area which is being outsourced, though as with testing, there will always be secure applications needing Australian citizens.

My wife's soon to be outsourced job is Helpdesk for a website, although not technical.

Have you looked into crowdsourced software testing companies like uTest? My company uses them as well. You can signup with them and they will contact you as and when there are test cycles you can participate.

Have you looked into crowdsourced software testing companies like uTest? My company uses them as well. You can signup with them and they will contact you as and when there are test cycles you can participate.

I hadn't heard of uTest before. There were lots of things I missed seeing when running the business. I'll sign up, thanks.

Thanks for all the advice provided in here.

I had started a Diploma of Software Development with the local TAFE. I really enjoyed that- and felt that I'd really prefer to get back into an area which I enjoy, even though it's not for many years. The diploma though was a bit light on, and would have taken at least 18 months to complete, at ten hours per week. I switched to the same diploma going through Computer Power Institute. Despite being the same diploma, it's much more solid in its content, and has some real meat to get into. I'm doing about 35 hours per week and aiming to finish early, by December. This course is far more expensive than the local one, but I can put it on HECS. It also offers some MS certifications, and help in getting a position at the end. I'm getting a lot more value out of this course.

Having the income from properties and the proceeds from the sale of the business means that I do have the luxury of not having to rush into the work force to do just any sort of work.

Meanwhile, I just received an email. Rejection letter from Bunnings :(

If i'm rejected from night-packing at Woolworths, I may just give up on life all together.

If i'm rejected from night-packing at Woolworths, I may just give up on life all together.

Very drastic isnt it? Persistence is the key to success in anything.

Set your goals and keep working towards them.

If you don't have your own life plans, chances are you fit into some else's..and guess what they have planned for you - not much!

Very drastic isnt it? Persistence is the key to success in anything.

Set your goals and keep working towards them.

If you don't have your own life plans, chances are you fit into some else's..and guess what they have planned for you - not much!

I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek :p

I do love getting told to get off my *** though, cause even jokes have their own piece of truth in them.

Actually I was discussing this with quite a few mentors as such, when you leave the work force to work on a businesses, if you are use to a constant income, your mind has a way to turn against you. I will get around to writing a blog on this. It is a very interesting experience.

Even though I'm currently working on a couple of construction jobs for myself (self-funded), your mind plays tricks on you and a feeling of need for work.

Its tough out there!

Geoffw don't waste your time applying through agencies. They advertise fake jobs to collect resumes. Always apply directly to the employer.

Apply for Telstra call centres, the work is horrible but they turn over staff at a rate, im sure you would get a look in in due course!

For some reason it is much easier to find another job once you are employed, my guess is its a confidence thing.

Perhaps Security (Night shift pays well) or Commercial cleaning.

Donut King are advertising in your area?

Good luck and all the best

Council/government jobs like parking inspector, bus driver, train driver, etc.?

Or maybe store manager/business manager type jobs?

I know you don't want to get back into hospitality, but my hubby got into hospitality 18 months ago when we moved to Australia, started out as a waiter/plate scraper and was the manager/acting GM of a top restaurant within 18 months because he was that bit older, had a business background, etc. Not that being a restaurant manager pays much or provides much serviceability though.

Its tough out there!

Perhaps Security (Night shift pays well) or Commercial cleaning.

So I've heard. I'll look into it further. Thanks.

I've been offered work out of Sydney for good bank like before, but I want to spend more time with family, and frankly I want to work on this property related work. I enjoy my day so much more doing it.

The idea of picking up a 60hr+ mind numbing job for half my previous pay in Sydney just does NOT appeal to me.

I know a friend of a friend who has been out of work for 3 years for the same reason. Except his half the pay was more than my highest income ever.

Back