Kitchen Pantrys?

Hi everyone,
I have been spending every waking minute looking at this site, especially all the before and afters. You all do an amazing job!

We are in the process of purchasing our first IP and I am researching a new kitchen (the current one is very dated). Does anyone recommend installing a pantry? This is a small kitchen that currently has a pantry and room for the fridge next to it. Should I replace the pantry or have a fridge recess with cupboards on top instead? Or maybe just end the bench top and leave room for the fridge at the end? or include a pantry and room for the fridge at the end?

I appreciate any suggestions

Christine

Hi everyone,
I have been spending every waking minute looking at this site, especially all the before and afters. You all do an amazing job!

We are in the process of purchasing our first IP and I am researching a new kitchen (the current one is very dated). Does anyone recommend installing a pantry? This is a small kitchen that currently has a pantry and room for the fridge next to it. Should I replace the pantry or have a fridge recess with cupboards on top instead? Or maybe just end the bench top and leave room for the fridge at the end? or include a pantry and room for the fridge at the end?

I appreciate any suggestions

Christine

Hi Christine,

We just renovated a small kitchen and chose to include a pantry as there was very little storage space throughout the whole unit, also I think a pantry over no pantry would be preferred if you have the option. We chose not to have a fridge recess with cupboards on top because as tenants ourselves - it is such a pain!! The fridge never fits, and if this is going to be an IP - you will never be able to guess what size fridge the tenant will be using. Just leave an open space for the fridge and anything will fit.....much easier for both sides.

Cheers,
Jen

Thankyou so much for your reply, it was great to get your opinion from a tenants point of view :)

There is definately room for a pantry so I think I will go with it. This house has very limited storage aswell.

Thanks again,

Christine

yes. undoubtably yes.

from a tenants point of view (and one who inspeced the house, but didn't realise, until after signing lease, and in the process of moving in, that there was no pantry, or anything else suitable)

i really, really miss my pantry. I've had to make do with a reject shop white melamine cupboard smack in the lounge room.

it DEFINITELY adds value to my mind.

kitchen is one of the major things I look at.

We have just purchased a new IP apartment that has a very small kitchen. It has this incredible pull out floor to ceiling drawer thing, that goes from floor to ceiling; it has maybe six wire baskets that pullout, (kind of like a vertical drawer!) which gives amazing pantry space, yet from the front space is only about 12 inches across (sorry , I still dont think in cms.) Maybe I will get a piccy to explain it! Maybe also check out Howards storage world - although a bit $$$

just found a piccy!

Attachments

• IMG_0336.JPGSS.jpg
    IMG_0336.JPGSS.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 94
We have just purchased an IP apartment that has a small kitchen. It has this incredible pull out floor to ceiling drawer thing, that goes from floor to ceiling; it has maybe six drawers that pullout, which gives amazing pantry space, yet from the front space is only about 10 cms across. Maybe I will get a piccy to explain it! Maybe also check out Howards storage world - although a bit $$$

Ikea has alot of these kinds of cupboards as well - they are more pricey than normal pantries however. Large drawers in the kitchen are also a great storage helper too!

Cheers,
Jen

TheCamel,

Thankyou for your reply, I know I would miss my pantry aswell. It is just one of those things you take for granted. How about a dishwasher? Is that anything you look for? Would it be a hassle, or a bonus?

Christine

Pushka,

That sounds great!! I don't want the pantry to take up most of the space, but it does sound like it is a 'must have'. That sounds like a perfect solution.

JenD, I love Ikea, My catalogue just arrived in the mail over the weekend. I might have to pay them a visit this week and have a 'play'

Christine

Ikea has alot of these kinds of cupboards as well - they are more pricey than normal pantries however. Large drawers in the kitchen are also a great storage helper too!

Cheers,
Jen

I was in Ikea today, drooling! Our IP has a wonderful kitchen, our home has a daggy one! But I cant justify the expense of updating our home kitchen at the moment, and really, to do it well would be a major job. Our kids are within 3 years of launching, and we would sell and move to a smaller place, and I just dont think it is worth it! But I would love to do an Ikea kitchen and have all the storage stuff happening!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE that pantry! What a fantastic idea!
Do you think a regular cabinet maker would make one of these?

Christine

I was in Ikea today, drooling! Our IP has a wonderful kitchen, our home has a daggy one! But I cant justify the expense of updating our home kitchen at the moment, and really, to do it well would be a major job. Our kids are within 3 years of launching, and we would sell and move to a smaller place, and I just dont think it is worth it! But I would love to do an Ikea kitchen and have all the storage stuff happening!

How hard are Ikea kitchens to put together? I love their product range but struggle to put together a bookcase!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE that pantry! What a fantastic idea!
Do you think a regular cabinet maker would make one of these?

Christine

Yep, take a copy of the picture and they can build it! You can get the wire baskets from Ikea or Howards - just make sure all your sizes are compatible with the builder, and with Ikea/Howard. Easy I would have thought!

(I could email you the real picture if you PM me - but the forum picture might be enough!)

We also some cupboards installed in our IP; and the discussion went on to Ikea! The guy installing the cupbaords was a cabinet maker by trade; he installs IKEA for people! He said they are good quality, but there is a usual way of installing them, and then a craftsmen way of installing them; and that makes a huge difference as to durability!

I saved the photo to my 'IP Ideas book'. I hope that was ok? I am not very good at coming up with designs, I have alot of ideas in my head but when it comes to putting it altogether it all goes wrong.

TheCamel,

Thankyou for your reply, I know I would miss my pantry aswell. It is just one of those things you take for granted. How about a dishwasher? Is that anything you look for? Would it be a hassle, or a bonus?

Christine

I don't particularly rate a dishwasher.. i mean, we have one, and I like it, but it's not something I actively look for

TheCamel,

Christine

We absolutely look for a dishwasher, it's become one of the most important things on our checklist as we lived in a house for a year without one (there's 4 of us) - the house we've just moved into has a 2-drawer one (you wouldn't need anything that flash) - but it is incredible! Love it, love it! We'd definitly pay more for a property with a dishwasher (anytype) than without.

If you have space for a dishwasher, put it in (you can purchase some cheaper 2nd hand ones on Ebay if your budget is tight).

Cheers,
Jen

We were IP hunting a few weekends ago, and visited an open home of a home (3x1)that had been recently reno'd - they did a fantastic job - it really did look great...but something wasnt right with the kitchen...I couldnt work out what it was and then realised that it didnt have a pantry - it really put me off..it wasnt a massive kitchen but could easily have included the pantry. To me, by leaving it out it seemed thay were trying to reduce their costs - what on earth would tenants do with all their Vegimite and flour!!

For me a pantry is essential - especially in a family size home. A dishwasher is also great, but not as essential. There also seems to be maintenance isssues with dishwashers - Ive had two in the last six months need replacing and they were both less than two years old!

Cheers, Nadia

Yeah - fortunately was more of an inconvenience than a monetary problem (for me personally anyway..!). One was a DeLongi ( a good brand I thought???) - this was still under warranty, but took about 6 weeks to be assessed and finally replaced - it was part of the appliance package in an IP of ours. The other was an Omega - not a good choice according to the repair man. This one was in the house we rent, and less than 3yrs old and out of warrenty. Apparently parts for many of the smaller brand are very $$, and in this case it was cheaper to replace it, so the landlord had to fork out for a new one. They chose an F&P one this time - but very bottom of the range and its aweful!! One of the perils of living in a rental property :)

Cheers, Nadia

Back