Late rent. Ph switched off.. Notice sent

Wylie, Why would the WA Dept Of Consumer & Employee Protection, twice, tell me differently over the phone.

Well actually, the 2nd time (I wqas on the phone while typing the preivous reply), the guy clarififed and suggested I need a reason to go there int he first place - like to inspect something / or to leave them a letter liek the next notice, but not to just rock up and see

But, a good thing happened today - the tenant paid the 2 weeks rent today.

Amazingly, all accomplished without a PM and without breaking the law

The next rent is due on Friday, see what happens then

Wylie, Why would the WA Dept Of Consumer & Employee Protection, twice, tell me differently over the phone.

I would get the employee to direct you to the actual wording, so that you know you are following the correct procedure. It might have been his first day on the job :).

I do know that when this happened to one of our parents' IPs about three years ago, we were told clearly by the RTA that to try to do anything other than exactly what was set out would put us clearly in the wrong, and open to trouble.

So we did the notices, 24 hour notice to enter. Notice that it was an abandoned premises. We did it as soon as the notice periods expired. The risk was that had we jumped the gun, we would have been in breach ourselves. Some places look abandoned, even when they are not :D.

Last edited:
yeah thanks wylie...

Obviously with things like this......

it's all pretty straightforward.... but it's not !..... :D

Amazingly, all accomplished without a PM and without breaking the law

Benefit of a PM in this situation(apart from them knowing the law without ringing authorities) IMO is time and stress. If you have a good PM you would not even know the rent was paid late unless it is going to effect your fortnightly/monthly payment from the agency. I know one of my tenants has paid late a couple of times but I never hear about it as it is paid before my payment from agency.

I do self manage one of our IP's at the moment, but it is a stress free one, long term tenant pays rent via DD weekly and rarely calls about anything we see her once a year for inspection. With that property before her we did have problem tenants and once she moves out I would possibly consider getting a property manager as I feel the stress/time associated with problem/high maintenance tenants isn't worth the 5-10% commission saved

Benefit of a PM in this situation(apart from them knowing the law without ringing authorities) IMO is time and stress. If you have a good PM you would not even know the rent was paid late unless it is going to effect your fortnightly/monthly payment from the agency. I know one of my tenants has paid late a couple of times but I never hear about it as it is paid before my payment from agency.

I do self manage one of our IP's at the moment, but it is a stress free one, long term tenant pays rent via DD weekly and rarely calls about anything we see her once a year for inspection. With that property before her we did have problem tenants and once she moves out I would possibly consider getting a property manager as I feel the stress/time associated with problem/high maintenance tenants isn't worth the 5-10% commission saved

Sure, who is this good PM in Perth who charge 5-50% of your rent to mange tyour portoerty - assuming they do it well, that' sa bloody bargin

My expeirnce has been with 3 reasonably well known firms, that the cahrge is closer to 18%... now, as I only getr 20% back from tax, that mean 14.4% of gross rent after tax consdierations...... and the PM did not know what they were doing nor how to do it any better than I did, they just worked around real estate stuff so felt more familiar with it

- Here's an exampel,

"Is my landlord's inurance up to date"
- "Yes it is, but I think you shoudl increase it to include RENT COVER ULTRA"
"What does that included that RENT COVER doesn't ?"
- "What do you mean ?
"I mean it wil lcost me more money so it must cover more stuff 0- WHAT MORE STUFF DOES IT COVER ?"
- "Oh stuff like... I wil lhve to check"
Next, I receive an email from my insureer stating I cannot get a certificate of currency for my insurance as I do not have buidlign insurance with them

I ring the insurer and expalin all I want is somethign like a PDS so I can see what they are offering and decide which to buy - within k1 minute I have both RETN COVER & RENT COVER ULTRA insurnace PDS's

I email the PM to say ok then, increase my cover to RENT COVER ULTRA - she writes back telling me I was already had RENT COVER ULTRA
----
The last PM I had did not pay me the firts months' rent. They rolld over the balance I rang them ,took them a few days to get back to me

They then paid me the wrong amount.

So forgive me if my experiences have suggested it is not so stress free jsut cause one hires a PM , what else can I say ?
As I said though, you show me who does this and the qualtiy of workj they do, for 5-10% of annual rent & I'll seriously consider it, I'm yet to see asnythign of the sort - happy to be proven wrong of course, I don't want the worldto be a bad place...

Sure, who is this good PM in Perth who charge 5-50% of your rent to mange tyour portoerty - assuming they do it well, that' sa bloody bargin

My expeirnce has been with 3 reasonably well known firms, that the cahrge is closer to 18%... now, as I only getr 20% back from tax, that mean 14.4% of gross rent after tax consdierations...... and the PM did not know what they were doing nor how to do it any better than I did, they just worked around real estate stuff so felt more familiar with it

- Here's an exampel,

"Is my landlord's inurance up to date"
- "Yes it is, but I think you shoudl increase it to include RENT COVER ULTRA"
"What does that included that RENT COVER doesn't ?"
- "What do you mean ?
"I mean it wil lcost me more money so it must cover more stuff 0- WHAT MORE STUFF DOES IT COVER ?"
- "Oh stuff like... I wil lhve to check"
Next, I receive an email from my insureer stating I cannot get a certificate of currency for my insurance as I do not have buidlign insurance with them

I ring the insurer and expalin all I want is somethign like a PDS so I can see what they are offering and decide which to buy - within k1 minute I have both RETN COVER & RENT COVER ULTRA insurnace PDS's

I email the PM to say ok then, increase my cover to RENT COVER ULTRA - she writes back telling me I was already had RENT COVER ULTRA
----
The last PM I had did not pay me the firts months' rent. They rolld over the balance I rang them ,took them a few days to get back to me

They then paid me the wrong amount.

So forgive me if my experiences have suggested it is not so stress free jsut cause one hires a PM , what else can I say ?
As I said though, you show me who does this and the qualtiy of workj they do, for 5-10% of annual rent & I'll seriously consider it, I'm yet to see asnythign of the sort - happy to be proven wrong of course, I don't want the worldto be a bad place...

I can't say for Perth as I don't have a property there and obviously commission is more than where I do have properties. I have one in Tassie where I am paying 11% and one in Wodonga where I am paying 9%. I organise my own insurance as well as pay rates/water bills etc myself and in these areas that has worked well

Also I have had stressful experiences with PM's which is where I change agencies till I find a competent one, as I said I don't have a property in Perth so cannot comment on the quality of PM's over there

ok, does this covered in the land lord insurance or this is something that got nothing to do with the property owner suppose the LL/owner using different service provider ?

The tenant paid the 2 weeks’ outstanding rent on the day she received the Breach Notice For Non Payment of Rent.

I also sent a notifcaiton of Inspection to be carried out this Saturday 21st May

But she never paid the next rent payment which fell due on Saturday 14th .

So Monday I posted off a new Breach Notice For Non Payment of Rent

Will be interesting on Saturday if nothing else

PMs? HAHAHA

Was speaking to mum the other day, I told her 6 of the apartments/flats her PM manages are renting at probably 60% of where the market rent really is

Also subtly reminded her people who buy 15 years ago and charge whatever rent make it so unprofitable for me sometimes.

I must say though, her PMs don't give her stress - they don't even tell her what the market rent is. I guess the only good thing from all this is that in 4 of these 6 places, the tenants have been there for 10 years (you'd wonder why huh when you're paying 60% of market rent AND get a free car spot in the city which you're not meant to use...)

Not quite sure what you're trying to say or suggest there Deltaberry

No rent paid so far today... inspection tomorrow

I'm starting to thin the best thing to hope for is that she's arun away & abandonded the place..

Guess I will find out in the morning when I knock on the door to do the inspection

Not quite sure what you're trying to say or suggest there Deltaberry
He's trying to say:

"Hi, I've actually got a very small set of plums but I compensate with the fact that my mummy has 6 properties, and doesn't need to charge market rent" :p

I've just read the thread and what a nightmare! Best of luck tomorrow, I hope it all turns out well, she hands over the cash and the house is spotless!

Deltaberry - Remember market rent depends on a lot of things, you say the tenants have been in there for over 10 years? That would suggest to me that upgrades have not been made to the property only because the tenant has always been in there. The rental price for these properties may be lower not because of a slack PM but because they are in need of a freshen up :) Having said that, slack PM's are all around!

The rent was paid into my account late this afternoon, f course, I foudn out when I chekced, not when the tenant told me'

So I guess she will be there in the morning when I go to inspect.

Next rent is due tomorrow - she is should be aware of this as she has multiple copies of a Rent Due / Rent Paid schedule which I have given her........

Fun & games they reckon

She wasn't there for the inspection.

Place was nice and clean though. A few oil stains in the drivway, but that's it. Oh and the lawn and pants dont; look that neat, but the neighbour says he's a lawmower man parttime and rims it when it needs it. Also said he's heard no noise etc, but he's only there part of the time.

The lady left anote apologising for the rent being late to date and that she woudl pay "today's" rent on Friday.

The neighbour then told me as he was leavign that she has osmeone else staying ther and also that she actually hasn't been seen for a little while (??) I'm an idiot, did I ask him how long ? take a guess...

The note left for me to rad though was signed by the lady, so I left the breach notice and a not suggesting it is imperative she call me and put my number..

Bloody... hmmmmm

just boot and claim on insurance much easier, takes awhile but u get all the dosh in full

Apparently the Dept of Consumer & Employee Protection disagree.

Just been advised today that I have “no choice but to “continue to treat it as normal” as if the tenant on the leas still occupies the property.

With this in mind, I have made a note in my calendar and pre filled out he Notice to evict form, ready for delivery/postage…..

Hopefully rent will be paid tomorrow like the hand written note said…. One thing that was “good” to see during all this was that the house was spotlessly clean…

See how it goes I guess…..

Apparently the Dept of Consumer & Employee Protection disagree.

Just been advised today that I have “no choice but to “continue to treat it as normal” as if the tenant on the leas still occupies the property.

With this in mind, I have made a note in my calendar and pre filled out he Notice to evict form, ready for delivery/postage…..

Hopefully rent will be paid tomorrow like the hand written note said…. One thing that was “good” to see during all this was that the house was spotlessly clean…

See how it goes I guess…..

3rd breach notice sent now....

Back