Late rent. Ph switched off.. Notice sent

Still no rent?? From the sounds of things you will be hearing some pretty interesting stuff from the neighbours when she does go!

Sez, Not sure if I confused you with the way I'vwe written it, but ,......

They were snet a breach, and they paid the amount shown as overdue on the breach notice (1 weeks rent) ...

Then they never paid 2 week's rent. I sent a breach and they paid the amount shown as overdue on the breach notice (2 weeks rent)

Now they are a week behind again, so I sent another breach.....

Jaycee, I was exactly where you are now a couple of years back. the first IP was pretty easy to self manage. the second one, first tenants were ok, the second set of tenants were a bit of trouble. At the tribunal, I was able to convince a local property manager to represent me, cause I couldnt find the papers I should have presented to the judge.

I havent self managed since. I do what Im good at, I get property managers to do what they are good at. Its simple economics. While Im talking to tenants, looking up legislation, calling people, I could be making money at my day job, or working on expanding my investment portfolio.

I have LL insurance, and I make sure at every rent review I am charging market rent. I get the places revalued once a year or so, and get the market rent off that, as well as doing a touch of research off realestate.com.
the managing agent pays all outgoings from the rent. I make sure if the tenants are late either the property manager has served them the appropriate notices to evict, or I find a new manager.
At the end of the FY the property manager gives me a list of income and expences, and I hand this and a summary of interest paid to my accountant, cause the accountnant is better than me at doing tax returns.

tobe, that's great.

I have everyting under control re my paperwrork etc jsut like your PM & accountant have yours too.

I wish I was good at something that made more money so I could focus on that instread of managing my properties,.but no point sitting complianing and doing nothing instead ......

All that's happened is the tenat hasn't paid rent, 1 week's rent....

Surely it's not the end of the world

Last edited:
tobe, that's great.

I have everyting under control re my paperwrork etc jsut like your PM & accountant have your too.

I wish I was good at something that made more money so I could focus on that instread of managing my properties,.b ut no point sitting complianing and doing nothing instead ......

All that's happened is the tenat hasn't paid rent, 1 week's rent....

Surely it's not the end of the world
While I do agree in part with what tobe said if you are going to self manage I don't think you have done badly at all. You're on top of your notices, know which ones to send and when - your biggest problem is your tenant being slack with rent! A slack tenant is a problem with a PM or without!

In VIC if they get to over 2 weeks rent we can issue them a Notice to Vacate for rent arrears and 3 days later make an application for a tribunal hearing. I have attended these hearings for tenants who make payment (like yours) just after each breach but still been able to get possession of the house due to their history of late payment and proof that it has caused financial hardship for the owner, does WA law allow for this course of action??

Sepaking to DOCEP they confirmed I ahve to follow the proceudre I ahve been and claim mlost rent off insurqnce & gbond as / if need be.

I rang my landlord's insruance & told them what's been going on. They confirmed I've done the righ thtings so far as far as they are concerned and that I should simply send the next Notice to Evict due to non Payment etc and then claim any damages/repairs/cleaning out of the tenant's bond & any rent via insurance & bond when the time comes...

So I just have to sit here feeling stupid until then ? :D:confused:

Keep sending your notices and as soon as you can, evict. It isn't worth the trouble for you to have such an un-reliable tenant.

Be happy that your insurance is happy - that doesn't happen as often as one might think.....

Keep sending your notices and as soon as you can, evict. It isn't worth the trouble for you to have such an un-reliable tenant.

Be happy that your insurance is happy - that doesn't happen as often as one might think.....

Yeah that made me a bit more comfortable

Just have to sit & wait for the days to tick by I guess

Well it looks like (from the outside anyway) that she may have shot through.

Last week's letter & breach notice was still sitting in the mailbox.

So hopefully this will make it easier rahter than the tenant being there and not wanting to move on..

See what happens at the end of next week I guess.....

Can you send a notice of entry to check if she has taken off?

Could have probalby gone in on Friday afternoon saying I beleived it wlooked like she'd abandonded the property , but I didn't know if it was worthwhile just in case she hadn't.

Now I figure I might as well wait it out (and ring DOCEP again in the meantime to confirm what I can & need to do)

May end up being a good thing if she has split - you don't need to evict her and you can get some good tenants in!!

May end up being a good thing if she has split - you don't need to evict her and you can get some good tenants in!!

Thanks Sez

This is what I am hoping

Possibility that she has left sutff behind and needing to deal with that

Guess we can only see on the day

Jaycee

Once they are 14 days overdue you can send a notice to leave. If have trouble send notice to Vcat

Yes I did that... last Friday I delivered the Notice of Termination - give me vacant possession in 7 days.

I am going to double check "next steps" with Dept of Consumer & Employee Protection, probably today to figure hout how what do exactly come Friday

I'm wondering if iI should take a day's leave. I do think she has shot through - as I said, my letter from Sat 18th June was stil lin the letterbox.

So I 'm hoping I can enter it on Friday, confirm it's abandoned, get a locksmith to change the locks (wrong day of the financial year but hey !!!)..

Take a few photos & ready to advertise Friday night online for a higer rent

The idiots at DOCEP told me the wrong information apparently and hand delivered notices if the tenant is not acceptable.
So there goes my Notice of Termination out the window – oh, lady told me I sued the wrong form too, despite picking the right 9one and only changing to the form I sent out when DOCEP told me to)

This is just fkin great - Wait another bloody week now

Then have insurance question the amount of overdue rent after notices were sent and refuse to pay or something

Hard to do the right thin g when you’re given the wrong bloody advice.

Not happpy at the moment

Feel like lunch a a couple of drinks

The idiots at DOCEP told me the wrong information apparently and hand delivered notices if the tenant is not acceptable.
So there goes my Notice of Termination out the window – oh, lady told me I sued the wrong form too, despite picking the right 9one and only changing to the form I sent out when DOCEP told me to)

This is just fkin great - Wait another bloody week now

Then have insurance question the amount of overdue rent after notices were sent and refuse to pay or something

Hard to do the right thin g when you’re given the wrong bloody advice.

Not happpy at the moment

Feel like lunch a a couple of drinks

The adviuse from both DOCEP and the Margistrae's court was to send the letter, then apply for tewrmination of lease etc via the courts ?

WTF ?

Can't I even check if the tenant has done the right thing as reuested in thre notice & provided th evacant possession I as reuested ? What if they have ?

I'm pretty s8ure she's abandonded the proerty, but according to DOCEP & the courts, I will have to wait for weeks for an avialbe court date - I do beleive Dazz is correct.. this is a crock of **** (my words not his).. th is isn't business, this is "pretending" like letting the little kid win a game

A friend suggested I ring Western Power and see if the power is stioll connected in their name etc - but you knwo what, there's aprobavbly some bloody law against me doing that too

Why dont we just let the tenat stay till the en dof their lease without paying any rent ?????

grrrrr grrr gbrrrr grrrr

coffee time

Here in VIC we do need to get an order from the tribunal that the tenant has absconded but we can also send a notice of entry so we can present to tribunal reasonable belief that they have left? Talk to the neighbours, neighbours are often a wealth of knowledge and you've said before they can be quite chatty! Once you have a court date booked in you can start arranging goods left behind inspections, any trade quotes etc. to take place right after that date just to save yourself some time. One thing you could do (if water usage is paid by the tenant in WA?) which I have found works is to contact the water co. Let them know that you rent out the property you own, water usage should be in tenants name (provide name and address) and check on the usage amount for the last period, if there has been no usage for the last billing period that would be a good indicator too.

Back