Live cattle trade to Indonesia

Who cares, this forum is supposed to be about real estate.
Oh but there is a whinge thread, an that's where this should be.
Don't like it, fine dont eat it.
I'll refrain from ignorant country hick comments about stuff I don't know.

Ok, so we all agree that what they do is cruel and shouldn't be tolerated. Not surprising. But what do we do about it. If we completely ban the live export then I'm sure they would just buy their cattle from Brazil or somewhere else. Some people seem to think that's ok because at least they're not our cattle. I think that unless we (all Australians, not just the beef industry) chuck a heap of money at it to improve abbatoirs and employ inspectors then it will go on. Banning live exports is a populist view IMO that just sweeps the real issue under the carpet. I guess the other alternative is to get other beef exporters on side and ban live exports to Indonesia from anywhere in the world, big ask though. Interesting that there is a global ban on whaling (except for the Jap 'scientific research') but the world allows this to continue.

Maybe I'm just a space alien or something, but I have a lot of faith in myself and my fellow Australians. We don't have to ban anything. You wanna buy cattle live, transport them, feed them, lose x% along the way etc yeah fine, do that. On the other hand...

...we can have competing Aussie moslem halal butchers that do the same thing at a lower cost who might get a bit of a subsidy (tax preferably or otherwise) here or there and generate some Aussie employment/industry.

When it comes to business, let's be honest - all of us are athiests. Money talks and nothing else. You can be the biggest osama bin laden koran or bible banger in the world, but when you have the choice of Aussie halal meat frozen and ready to go significantly cheaper than the authentic unhygeinic version, half the market is going to buy that instead.

Politicians have no business mucking around in religion, let alone religion motivated business - they'll just make a mess of it as usual for a few el cheapo political points - give some entrepreneurs a chance with a bit of a leg up and let the God called "money" decide. He usually wins.

Please support this campaign

Hi guys,

If you haven't already done so, please support this cause to ban live animal export by signing the Get Up campaign and sharing the link on your facebook profile:

http://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/animals/live-export/ban-live-export

Get Up, Animals Australia and the RSPCA are presenting the campaign to parliamant tomorrow at 3pm, and currently have 147,318 signatures. We need 36,682 to get to 200,000 signatures.

Also, to make a difference, please email your local MP about live exports: www.animalsaustralia.org/take_action/festival-of-sacrifice

And, email Prime Minister Julia Gillard: www.banliveexport.com/#takeAction

You can use their letter template, and it is as simple as a click and send.

The extreme cruelty that these animals face is horrific, and yes, while it could be argued that Indonesia could just import animals from other countries, we have to start somewhere.

The part up the top that says:
"Property Investors Forum"
I know it can be easily missed.

Easily missed, hey? No, not by me, PB.:rolleyes:

However, if you look under the 'Coffee Lounge' heading, it says, and I quote,

"Come on in, chat about anything".

I guess you must have missed that one, hey? :)

Amy

When I say stop selling to them , meaning only in hold offs while they negotiate that treatment and change it .
Which is what they'll usually do rather than just throw away the business.

haha - sent my emails to the prime minister and sentor ... got the auto "out of office" reply in my inbox.

obviously sick of being bombarded . yay! one for the people.

now for a similar on the stupidity of carbon tax

Easily missed, hey? No, not by me, PB.:rolleyes:
However, if you look under the 'Coffee Lounge' heading, it says, and I quote,
I guess you must have missed that one, hey? :)
Amy

well lets see....

the top says:
"Property Investors Forum"
the sub heading says:

So I take it as anything about property investing and not your latest bich session.

All those emails and make no difference. FB likes even less. Posting here completely irrelevant.
There's plenty other things you can do that will make more impact.
Including looking at your own hypocrisy of buying all those products around your house manufactured by child and slave labour and then taking moral high ground on this.

Hahahaha piston youre such a tool!!!
Thank you, it's good to know i'm much more useful and not as worthless as you are.

If Prophet Anraham was on the verge of slaughtering his Son Ismail with a knife, then why should the slaughtering of animals if done in the right way (quick,sharp knife etc) be a big drama?

This is an ethical and moral investment/business dilemma.... is it any different to:

We give foreign aid to Fiji yet we oppose the dictatorship that we are financially supporting...

We provide aid to Burma, yet they are social repressed by an openely corrupt government... we still pay... is this ethical?

We provide support and aid to Pakistan through the APDP, yet they harboured the world's number one terrorist for at least 6 yrs... yet we still pay... is this ethically or morally right considering OUR soldiers are being killed in a contrarian battle?

There are FAR MORE IMPORTANT issues that we implicitly accept everyday that are by FAR MORE ATROCIOUS than how a cow is delivered to the dinner table.... yet we don't even bat an eyelid...:rolleyes: What have we become :confused:

Thought i'd just jump in with an interesting tidbit:

There are a significant number of abbatoirs in Australia which slaughter their animals to be halal, a large number of the cuts of meat in your local supermarkets will be halal meat, these aren't muslim butchers, they just do it to save the hassle.

Hi all,

Don't really wish to debate with anyone on this issue, as people's opinions are fairly set in stone, so no point really. A few comments based on observations and previous experiences though ;

Most city folk are extremely confronted with the visual aspects of any slaughtering of any animal. I can fully appreciate why many Get Up girly lefties are vegetarians.

Oxygenated arterial blood flying around with gurgling gasps, hooves thrashing around in nervous twitches which last for several minutes with the larger animals before they bleed out....and the wet barbeque of skinning and gutting, before getting in there with circular saws or axes to quarter the beasts into manageable pieces.

Not the stuff normally associated with pretty young ladies walking down the CBD streets in their high heels and Prada suits listening to the latest tune on their iPod, quickly zipping into their local boutique butchery and picking up from Gino the butcher a previously ordered on-line marinated and seasoned tender choice cut of eye fillet for tonight's big hot date when the divine, hunky Terry comes over to the flat. Yep, saw the cows out on the plains happily munching away in the very picturesque fields last time Terry took her to the Hunter for a wine tasting event.....and happy to skip the bit in between.

I strongly suspect that seeing the reality of slaughtering (in any form) is a little too confrontational for most city folk. If I had to put a number on it, I reckon that is 80% of the "shock".

The other 20% is fully justifiable IMO with the pathetic incompetent crap that the 3rd world halal donkeys were doing. Their handling techniques were all wrong, their equipment was dodgy, they were dodgy.....par for the course in most Muslim 3rd world countries.....but we all know that.

Having lived in Yemen for a few years, our cook used to get goats for us to eat that were slaughtered on the sidewalk and the blood let run into the gutter of the street....many times I had to step over the flow just to walk on the path. It's off, it's gross, it's confronting. What to do ?? It's their country. If you say anything, they simply dismiss you as some wealthy white skinned ponce and carry on. If some Indo told me I was doing something wrong in their opinion in Oz, I'd tell him to go hop it.

In any case, the buyers in Indo mostly cannot afford a fridge, hence why they prefer fresh kills. Processing the meat in Oz and boxing it up I suspect won't fly. The Indo buyers have the last say, whether that be with Ozzie cattle or some other nation.

Good post Dazz

Very true about shock factor..

We are naive and believe that we are not, thefore that we are right....

When I saw the Australian method I was pleasantly suprised! It looks very sterile, kind of like a science lab. The cattle look like they have a great life and although the "stun" is a little confronting it actually didn't bother me that much! Knowing that this is the way animals are slaughtered in Australia really puts my mind at ease and makes me feel better about eating meat.

But what was happening in Indonesia is just disgusting!!! We can't do much about they way they choose to slaughter their animals, and to be honest we have no right to tell them what to do. But we're Australian and we have animal protection laws against treating animals this way so there is just no justification for us to send our animals to be mistreated like that! They're a third world country and as their economy develops I'm sure issues such as this one will begin to improve. But in the mean time it isn't something that Australians should be any part of.

Hi all,

Don't really wish to debate with anyone on this issue, as people's opinions are fairly set in stone, so no point really. A few comments based on observations and previous experiences though ;

Most city folk are extremely confronted with the visual aspects of any slaughtering of any animal. I can fully appreciate why many Get Up girly lefties are vegetarians.

I strongly suspect that seeing the reality of slaughtering (in any form) is a little too confrontational for most city folk. If I had to put a number on it, I reckon that is 80% of the "shock".

The other 20% is fully justifiable IMO with the pathetic incompetent crap that the 3rd world halal donkeys were doing. Their handling techniques were all wrong, their equipment was dodgy, they were dodgy.....par for the course in most Muslim 3rd world countries.....but we all know that.

Back