Malala day ... she is such an inspiration

have followed her story quite closely, and yes amazing story, courage and everything, great respect for her

however, I wasnt impressed by her speech a couple of days ago, to me it was too rehearsed or staged, in my mind, once it gets to that stage, credibility has gone in my view,

kudos to her regardless

however, I wasnt impressed by her speech a couple of days ago, to me it was too rehearsed or staged, in my mind, once it gets to that stage, credibility has gone in my view,

I don't think you can expect someone from a non English speaking background having grown up in a town in a third world country to really know English that well. So she has done QUITE well. I know we would all appreciate a passionate speech from her heart. But what more do we expect from something like a 16 year old? How many people her age even have the sense to believe in a cause like she does? Very few.

I grew up in Pakistan till I was close to 15. I went to a private school where English was the primary language and lived in metro. Even then I couldn't speak English that fluently. She has courage. I don't think many young women from the rural areas especially have that confidence. I left the country quite young, but people in teens and twenties there now are very modern, well educated, ambitious. A lot of women are driven. At the same time, many don't have their heads screwed in the right place and would splurge around. If you get my drift. But at the same time many give in to the pressures of society.

I think Malala is an inspiration to many women in the Pakistani culture and abroad. I believe the credit goes to her parents. Especially her dad. Not sure why I say this. But she is fortunate to have that sort of support even after growing up in a very conservative environment.

She has a vision and I hope it comes true.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/stereotypes-go-against-koran-on-female-education-20130714-2py0w.html

Pretty good for someone who copped a bullet to the brain. God knows what damage was done; its a miracle she is even talking.

have followed her story quite closely, and yes amazing story, courage and everything, great respect for her

kudos to her regardless

She was shot in the head, doing a major speaking gig in front of world leaders, in a language that is not her native tongue.

Are you serious?

She was shot in the head, doing a major speaking gig in front of world leaders, in a language that is not her native tongue.

Are you serious?

add to that the fact that she's 16 too and speaking in front of some very important people, attracting even more attention to her (which was part of why she was shot in the head in the first place) and also knowing that this would be watched by people all over the world

Ideo, she was shot in the head some time ago by the Taliban for advocating that girls should be educated in Pakistan. I think she was eventually flown to England for the best medical treatment available and it was all over the news. She wasn't shot while doing the speech. People die doing stuff like this all the time, this just got world media attention and she survived.

Ideo, she was shot in the head some time ago by the Taliban for advocating that girls should be educated in Pakistan. I think she was eventually flown to England for the best medical treatment available and it was all over the news. She wasn't shot while doing the speech. People die doing stuff like this all the time, this just got world media attention and she survived.

I know. I was saying that there was a chain of events leading up to her speech, which would have been terrifying. Then giving the speech would have been terrifying. Thirdly giving the speech in a second language adds another level of complexity.

Hence why to somehow expect an Oscar winning performance is a bit unfair.

Sorry Ideo, understood you now. It's just the way you worded it is likely to be interpreted by many the way I did. I agree with your thoughts though.

Sorry Ideo, understood you now. It's just the way you worded it is likely to be interpreted by many the way I did. I agree with your thoughts though.

Yep. Typing on the mobile phone doesn't lead to the most understandable sentences sometimes :eek:

Back